Would people know...?

Reading some of the stories about "missed connections" and driving around town lately, watching all of the "non descript" daily drivers carry people to and from places ... and trying to decide on a newer car (be it a newer one for winter and road trips or an older one for winter only), I've been wondering how many people I see in the "daily driver" type cars are actually car enthusiasts, with a "sunny day" only car (or cars) at home, etc.

In other words, if you have "toys" (namely, vehicles that are driven only on sunny days, etc.), would people know that you are an enthusiast by what you drive daily/to work? Or, like me, is one of your "toys" your current daily driver?

Just curious....

*pauses*

Course, it depends on your definition of enthusiast.... Sometimes, I get the feeling that people are only considered enthusiasts if you modify your car or have a car that is all-original and/or in perfect condition ... none of which I have. I know this isn't the case, but it seems that way at times....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Now & then what might have been interferes with what might be" ... Mark Chestnut ... 'I Just Wanted You To Know'

Well, there was the total and complete shock among some here and pretty much every one of my non-C&Ger friends that I have that '76.

Speaking of enthusiasts, it gets a little old hearing how "if you have an automatic, you're not an enthusiast" or "if its front-wheel drive, you're not an enthusiast." Wrong. If you have an M3 that you bought because your junior executive friends all have one with a centimeter of brake dust on the wheels, dents on the panels, and a thrashed clutch because you suck at shifting, you're not an enthusiast; you're a poseur.

Well, there was the total and complete shock among some here and pretty much every one of my non-C&Ger friends that I have that '76.

Speaking of enthusiasts, it gets a little old hearing how "if you have an automatic, you're not an enthusiast" or "if its front-wheel drive, you're not an enthusiast." Wrong. If you have an M3 that you bought because your junior executive friends all have one with a centimeter of brake dust on the wheels, dents on the panels, and a thrashed clutch because you suck at shifting, you're not an enthusiast; you're a poseur.

You are correct sir!

I often drive a '00 Chevy Venture, since it's in San Diego and the SS is in Los Angeles. So, yes I consider myself an "enthusiast" stuck driving a "non descript" vehicle. I can understand if people think I'm a loser, or married... there are lots of times where I wish I was in the SS, but oh well...

My daily driver Jeep blends in with all the other SUVs in suburbia and the office park, fine by me, it's comfortable and reliable. I do drive my toys ('87 Mustang GT, '96 BMW M3) mainly on the weekends in nice weather, but do drive them to work occasionally...(the lack of cupholders and other modern features limits the driveability of the Mustang :)

In the face of astronomical gas prices, my daily driver is a Naples Yellow 1977 Cadillac Coupe DeVille with a 7-liter V8. For my cheap, economical winter beater, I just bought a triple brown 1978 Coupe DeVille with the same 7-liter V8. I have a '67 Eldorado in storage and had to "adopt" a '71 Sedan DeVille at the beginning of the summer.

I think it's safe to say I like 'em :thumbsup:

Speaking of enthusiasts, it gets a little old hearing how "if you have an automatic, you're not an enthusiast" or "if its front-wheel drive, you're not an enthusiast." Wrong.

That would really suck for me since my favorite car is still the Toronado.

Every car enthusiast specializes in the kind of car they are interested. I think its important that the car people not oppress each other because they don't share the same kind of car interests as others do. I know I am guilty of it, I try to be aware when I am doing it so I stop. Hell, there's even Camry enthusiasts. I guess its ok to make fun of them though. ;)

Every car enthusiast specializes in the kind of car they are interested. I think its important that the car people not oppress each other because they don't share the same kind of car interests as others do. I know I am guilty of it, I try to be aware when I am doing it so I stop. Hell, there's even Camry enthusiasts. I guess its ok to make fun of them though. ;)

You oppress people? Jeez, I hadn't noticed. :rolleyes:

I dunno...

I think it's all knowledge based. For instance, the common Joe has no idea that I am a car enthusiast when I pull up beside them in my Focus. (daily driver) However, the more knowledgable people who look to see that it is the more sports biased ZX3 and that it has a stick (No offense Fly, I don't buy into that auto = no enthusiast stuff either) and that it is immaculately maintained will know that I am an enthusiast.

At least, that's how I tell if someone is an enthusiast. Because someone can't afford a $40,000 Vette or just because someone prefers luxury cars with automatic transmissions doesn't make them any less of an enthusiast.

If people don't know I'm an enthusiast based on the car I drive or the way I maintain it, they usually get it by the time they see the wash bucket, sponge, and cleaning clemicals in the trunk.

i drive my nova everywhere everyday, so people must know im an enthusiest!(except alot of people thing since im so young that i borrowed "daddies" car or somethin.... which bothers me)

Heh.

It bothers me, too, when I'm driving my parents' car when my '87 MC LS is in for routine maintenance. Course, that's the time I _really_ see other Monte Carlos driving about.

I think that's called irony ;).

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

"Wouldn't you like to get away?" ... Gary Portnoy ... 'Where Everybody Knows Your Name'

Someone recently told me he could tell I was into cars by the way I appeared to drive the Cutlass with care.

*raises eyebrow*

I think we need video proof of this ;).

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

"There's a freeway runnin' through the yard" ... Tom Petty ... 'Free Fallin''