Malibu Ad in Car & Driver

Flybrian

that message says nothing negative... but it could us a... "this is why you should consider us now" type of statement

i mean its not a bad ad expecially since i cant read that full sheet of its specs or whatever

but the average person probably wont read it unless they like what they see...

i dont know about any of you... have you seen that nissan altima commercial on yahoo.com "0-60 Faster then Accord, Camry, and acura TL... yea its that good" i almost thought it was being sarcastic... thats all it says about the car... :scratchchin: if thats all it takes to sell a car... <_<

It reminds me of the '04 Malibu ads, which also pointed out the Epsilon (1) "global architecture" and proclaimed itself a game changer. The difference is back then the emphasis was on panel gaps, and now they've actually got a very good looking car. The +2 MPG hybrid numbers do look a bit lame though, especially since the public is used to hearing 40+ MPG from a hybrid.

The +2 MPG hybrid numbers do look a bit lame though, especially since the public is used to hearing 40+ MPG from a hybrid.

What if you read, "...employing GM's innovative Urban Assist technology to save fuel even while stationary or idling in traffic, the most inefficient phase of driving"?

What if you read, "...employing GM's innovative Urban Assist technology to save fuel even while stationary or idling in traffic, the most inefficient phase of driving"?

yea screw the hybrid hype...

we've got an industry first UAT !

btw

i was going to ask if they had afm on the malibu v6 since its on the v6 of the impala, but remembered the antique technology of the yesterday cannot be applied to this modern work of art....

Edited by Newbiewar

That would be much better, especially if it were on all Malibus, not only as a $2795 option. Now *that* would be a bold move.

yea screw the hybrid hype...

we've got an industry first UAT !

btw

i was going to ask if they had afm on the malibu v6 since its on the v6 of the impala, but remembered the antique technology of the yesterday cannot be applied to this modern work of art....

Maybe on the fleet 3.5 (which already has the same fuel economy as a Camry V6)?

only v6 with afm is the 3.9L people, and that version of the 3.9 was never in the 'bu

when i was at the dealership... GM said they wanted to put afm on every vehicle and every engine by 2010 i think... to include 4 cyl...

that was a year or two ago when they had barely put it on the 3.9

but i am unaware that afm can be applied to the dohc, the colapsable lifters is the reason they work on the OHV but DOHC doesnt have the same stlye of lifters i beleive

Edited by Newbiewar

cant put afm on a dohc engine...

Honda can:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6134289/

Posted Image

The 3.0-liter i-VTEC V6 engine is based on the standard Accord's V6. The engine was modified to reduce space and weight, and to allow for the Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) motor to be installed. More on the IMA in a moment.

The most unique feature of this V6 engine is the Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) system. VCM will shut off fuel to three of the six cylinders when the full V6 performance is not needed. During startup and acceleration the engine runs on all six cylinders. However, during highway cruising, downhill driving or other instances where engine load is low, combustion in the rear bank of three cylinders is halted. When full power is needed, valves are opened instantly to allow fuel back into the idled cylinders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_Cylinder_Management

Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) is Honda's term for a variable displacement technology. It uses the i-VTEC system to disable one bank of cylinders during specific driving conditions (for example, highway driving) to save fuel. Honda's VCM uses overhead cams as opposed to DaimlerChrysler's Multi-Displacement System and General Motors' Displacement on Demand pushrod systems.

-RBB

cant put afm on a dohc engine...

Honda can:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6134289/

Posted Image

The 3.0-liter i-VTEC V6 engine is based on the standard Accord's V6. The engine was modified to reduce space and weight, and to allow for the Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) motor to be installed. More on the IMA in a moment.

The most unique feature of this V6 engine is the Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) system. VCM will shut off fuel to three of the six cylinders when the full V6 performance is not needed. During startup and acceleration the engine runs on all six cylinders. However, during highway cruising, downhill driving or other instances where engine load is low, combustion in the rear bank of three cylinders is halted. When full power is needed, valves are opened instantly to allow fuel back into the idled cylinders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_Cylinder_Management

Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) is Honda's term for a variable displacement technology. It uses the i-VTEC system to disable one bank of cylinders during specific driving conditions (for example, highway driving) to save fuel. Honda's VCM uses overhead cams as opposed to DaimlerChrysler's Multi-Displacement System and General Motors' Displacement on Demand pushrod systems.

-RBB

when i was at the dealership... GM said they wanted to put afm on every vehicle and every engine by 2010 i think... to include 4 cyl...

that was a year or two ago when they had barely put it on the 3.9

but i am unaware that afm can be applied to the dohc, the colapsable lifters is the reason they work on the OHV but DOHC doesnt have the same stlye of lifters i beleive

it would probably be an add on to VVT.

edit: That said, it is extremely difficult to get a 3 cylinder to run smoothly much less a 3 cylinder that's actually 1/2 of a V6. Honda and GM probably had to work some balance shaft magic to get these things to run right.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

it would probably be an add on to VVT.

edit: That said, it is extremely difficult to get a 3 cylinder to run smoothly much less a 3 cylinder that's actually 1/2 of a V6. Honda and GM probably had to work some balance shaft magic to get these things to run right.

i forgot what GM said... but basically the 3.9 doesnt need a balace plate for their v6... it is naturally balanced

but GM vrs the competition doesnt just shut down a bank... bmw and that honda system apprently uses one bank rather then every other cyl

GM's system switches its cylders around to keep it even and keep the wear, and balance good.. if you just use the left or right bank... you will suffer balance problems

Edited by Newbiewar

i forgot what GM said... but basically the 3.9 doesnt need a balace plate for their v6... it is naturally balanced

but GM vrs the competition doesnt just shut down a bank... bmw and that honda system apprently uses one bank rather then every other cyl

GM's system switches its cylders around to keep it even and keep the wear, and balance good.. if you just use the left or right bank... you will suffer balance problems

Reading about the Honda system more, they cheat. They use active engine mounts and active acoustic technology <sound canceling> to hide the imbalance of the engine. It works, but it's still cheating.