Did Anyone Ever Determine What This Car Is All About?

InvictaMan

I hope not, otherwise Buick will be dumping it's attempts to move upmarket down the toilet.

I don't think it would be a bad idea. It would help to get a younger demographic through the door for Buick, like the CTS did for Cadillac.

I just don't think a Daewoo rebadge is the way to go (although I like the styling of this Excelle).

I don't think it would be a bad idea. It would help to get a younger demographic through the door for Buick, like the CTS did for Cadillac.

I just don't think a Daewoo rebadge is the way to go (although I like the styling of this Excelle).

what he said.

If the platform is Delta II, the interior/exterior design is by Buick China, and it's manufactured in China... how can that be considered a Daewoo rebadge?

I hope not, otherwise Buick will be dumping it's attempts to move upmarket down the toilet.

Several mid-lux brands have 4-cyl compacts. If there's a GM brand that can demand a premium price to help offset hybrid technology on a FWD compact, Buick is it. If executed correctly, Buick could have a very enviable vehicle to arrive at the perfect time. An upscale premium compact is a product Buick needs. I think the LaCrosse replacement will be moving further upscale and in price than some realize. The LaCrosse replacement should be viewed as the replacement for both the current LaCrosse and current Lucerne.

As a gauge, look at the price for the new Pontiac G8...

2008 Pontiac G8 base price: $27,595

2008 Lucerne CX: $25,745

The Lucerne replacement will be more expensive than the G8.

A friend of mine wouldn't mind a car with the looks and style of a Buick, but would not buy one because she wants a 4-cylinder engine and something a bit smaller than a LaCrosse. What does the Big Three currently offer her?

Nothing. Except the Mercury Milan, which she's now excited about. She was going to settle for a Civic but didn't truly want to. She's young and wants a nice compact/intermediate that doesn't look cheap. GM hasn't had one since the Skylark/Achieva/Alero.

A friend of mine wouldn't mind a car with the looks and style of a Buick, but would not buy one because she wants a 4-cylinder engine and something a bit smaller than a LaCrosse. What does the Big Three currently offer her?

Nothing. Except the Mercury Milan, which she's now excited about. She was going to settle for a Civic but didn't truly want to. She's young and wants a nice compact/intermediate that doesn't look cheap. GM hasn't had one since the Skylark/Achieva/Alero.

9-3.... unless a waterfall grill is required.

9-3.... unless a waterfall grill is required.

Forget the grill... see if you can find a convenient SAAB dealer... even then you better like austere interiors. Not everyone associates the clean Scandinavian look to being premium or luxury (I happen to like it, but not always in my car...)

There is demand for a premium compact that's warm, comfortable, and inviting without pretending to be a BMW alternative. Ford, GM, & Chrysler don't offer one.

Several mid-lux brands have 4-cyl compacts. If there's a GM brand that can demand a premium price to help offset hybrid technology on a FWD compact, Buick is it. If executed correctly, Buick could have a very enviable vehicle to arrive at the perfect time. An upscale premium compact is a product Buick needs. I think the LaCrosse replacement will be moving further upscale and in price than some realize. The LaCrosse replacement should be viewed as the replacement for both the current LaCrosse and current Lucerne.

As a gauge, look at the price for the new Pontiac G8...

2008 Pontiac G8 base price: $27,595

2008 Lucerne CX: $25,745

The Lucerne replacement will be more expensive than the G8.

:yes:

Glad this image was able to generate this level of discussion, because when I saw it, I thought that a smaller Buick with that level of style would be great for the NA market. This harkens back to the seventies when Buick and Oldsmobile sold a load of Apollos and Omegas due to their economy over the barges. No rebadge, this will not fare well for Buick's rennaisance. Do it on a solid, modern platform, with unique skin and interior and push it to the edge with hybrid technology options. It will drive the younger crowd to the buick doors just like the TL, and in a less dressy, economy package — the TSX, did for Acura. Small Buicks need not equate to Cobalt or G5, even Cimmaron, if it is executed under the new Buick mantra.

China will skip this Taiwanese facelift, either for their own, or skipping straight to Delta II. There is a Delta Buick sedan being developed by Shanghai GM. They should import this to the US, but ATM I don't think they will. Oh, and people—a new 1.6 L engine arrives next year. Expect a nice power boost and better fuel economy for the Chevrolets and Chinese Buicks that use it.

• 3 weeks later...

Until Cadillac moves upscale don't expect Buick to either.

The CTS last I checked still competes against the ES350 & IS350 not the GS in price and luxury.

No, the LaCrosse/Regal will merely be priced from the low-mid 20s to the low 30s. Let's Say $24k to $32k. So, it will be priced against higher end Camrys, Accords, & Altimas as well as the MKZ and the base ES350 & TL.

So, a Buick Compact will Start around $18k. leaving room for the Astra & Cobalt.

Beside buick has to build a reputation as a builder of good cars before anybody will waste their money on a Buick luxury car. The last time Buicks equalled luxury or status was 35 years ago. Most young buyers only know Buicks as cheap ugly old person cars. Buick must change that before they bother moving upscale. The Enclave is a step in he right direction but, SUV buyers expect a premium price, Buick & GM will have a lot harder time getting a $30k Buick midsize sedan sold.

I have to admit that I like the front end styling of the car in question (facelifted Buick Excelle). The rest of the car is essentially what we in the U.S. know as the Suzuki Forenza; it's not so great. The Suzuki Forenza definitely does not fit my idea of an appropriate product for Buick.

On the future Chevrolet forum, there is a post about the future of the next generation Impala (RWD vs. FWD). In the posted article it stated that cars shorter than the 2007 Chevrolet Malibu could be built off the Epsilon platform due to its flexibility. Wouldn't it be great if Buick could have a compact sedan based off this architecture (independent rear suspension vs. Delta's beam axle rear setup). The car could have a Saab product as a platform sibling (with its own unique styling). I know it's wishful thinking on my part (the Delta based product is probably locked down by now), but it would be awesome.