Riviera Concept Greenlighted for Production?

buickguy

I couldn't help notice that on buick.com there is a link to a Car and Driver article that says the stunning Riviera will be produced. Why would Buick post that article if it was false. I heard a rumor GM plans to unveil it at the Olympics in Beijing this summer for production in China and the U-S. Can anybody confirm?

I couldn't help notice that on buick.com there is a link to a Car and Driver article that says the stunning Riviera will be produced. Why would Buick post that article if it was false. I heard a rumor GM plans to unveil it at the Olympics in Beijing this summer for production in China and the U-S. Can anybody confirm?

Link? :scratchchin:

• 2 weeks later...

I think that concept is right up the Riviera alley. Its styling has always been vanguard and unboxible. The difference with this design over those of the past is that this time they got everything right. Bring it on, it will certainly up the anty for Buick and make paying the rising prices of this debutant again more palitable; and raise resale values, making them even more so.

This concept & the Enclave are polar opposites, IMO. The Enclave is classy, stately & gorgeous. The Riv concept is overall just... wierd. Buick should strive for a cohesive design language; the Enclave is a fantastic rave-review first step on that road. Any Riv should follow that pattern, not strike out in a brand new direction.

GM is too screwed up to realize that Buick NEEDS this vehicle. Buick's should be RWD. Have better engines and transmissions, and V-8's. They should have a convertible, a coupe a car to go against the Lexus ES and GS.

But Lutz and Wagoneer are complete morans and won't do the right thing for Buick.

What are you talking about? Have you been paying attention, because to me, GM is doing pretty well under their watch.

With BPG being aligned, Buick has a number of other issues to address before building the Riviera. The need to make sure the next LaX is flawless, they need to improve the Lucerne, they need a sub-Enclave crossover, then they need to address their lack of coupes and sporty models.

This concept & the Enclave are polar opposites, IMO. The Enclave is classy, stately & gorgeous. The Riv concept is overall just... wierd. Buick should strive for a cohesive design language; the Enclave is a fantastic rave-review first step on that road. Any Riv should follow that pattern, not strike out in a brand new direction.

I'd like to see something more along the lines of the last Riv updated with Enclave cues and definitely and Enclave interior. The "hips" were already there.

edit: Oh yeah! And make it a hardtop. </SixtyEight>

Edited by Oldsmoboi

Buick should not be alligned with Pontiac and GMC. They are a premium brand that should be on its self. When the Velite was introduced years ago it should have been made !!!!

The LAX should have been on a new platform with a more modern look and should have retained the Century name while a two door should have been the Regal.

The Lucerne should still be the Lesabre also on a better platfrom with a standard V-8 and rear wheel drive. The Enclave is fine except it to should be rear wheel drive and the center

stack should not be that hard plastic black.

That is why I say tat Lutz and Wagoneer are morons!!!!

For years it has been said that Buick was to compete with Lexus. Well, where is the ES, GS, LS, RX fighters? Where is the billions of dollars that was promissed??

I think the concept looks great! I see Enclave cues in this design and I think it fits in perfectly with Buick's current design direction. The biggest concern about bringing it to production largely unchanged is the hatchback configuration. The Riviera has always been a notchback coupe. I don't think it will be accepted in the U.S. as a hatchback coupe. If they change this and get rid of the gaps/vents under the headlights (that's just odd looking), I think they have a winner. :thumbsup:

I also agree that the last generation of the production Riviera (I believe it was 1995-1999 model years) was beautiful. I think Buick appropriately marketed it as a production car with concept car looks. Unfortunately it arrived at a time when large coupes were not "in"; big, behemoth SUV's ruled the market.

Edited by cire

For years it has been said that Buick was to compete with Lexus. Well, where is the ES, GS, LS, RX fighters? Where is the billions of dollars that was promissed??

I think trying to reposition Buick against Lexus is a little misguided. I see Cadillac competing against BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti, and Lexus. I see Buick competing one rung lower on the prestige ladder against Acura, Lincoln, Volvo, and GM's own Saab.

Well considering I own a last gen Riv, this concept is not a Riviera IMO....but with some slight reworking and stretching and so on it would be one sweet ride....and i might add a possible addition to my fleet...joing it's older sister, my '95 Riv.

Well considering I own a last gen Riv, this concept is not a Riviera IMO....but with some slight reworking and stretching and so on it would be one sweet ride....and i might add a possible addition to my fleet...joing it's older sister, my '95 Riv.

It's interesting that you mention stretching the design because that is one other concern I have about the concept. It appears to be a compact car. Unless this car is midsize or larger (and a notchback), I don't think it will be successful in the U.S. A compact hatchback coupe does not represent the Riviera in the U.S. I'm not against Buick selling an upscale compact hatchback coupe (if it is properly executed; sort of a modern day Skyhawk to complement the Skylark), but it should not carry the Riviera name (at least not in the U.S.).

I still think the concept is beautiful and could make a great Riviera (and addition to Buick's U.S. lineup). It just needs to be stretched quite a bit, morphed into a notchback coupe, and lose the gaps/vents directly below the headlights.

Edited by cire