Throwing debris off bridges

mustang84

Four kids elementary / middle school age were caught today throwing debris off the 9th Street bridge in Des Moines that passes over I-235, and Channel 8 news captured them throwing a log over just before police arrived. Not only did they throw a log, they also threw bricks and rocks. Keep in mind that these bridges were recently rebuilt and now have the protective fences, but they were low enough that the kids could still throw stuff over them. Someone died on I-80 a few years ago after a group of teens threw a concrete block over and it smashed through the windshield.

When they interviewed one of the kids, he said it was a dare and was kinda smirking about it. Sad thing is, they probably aren't remorseful at all...or maybe they just don't realize how serious it could have been if someone had been killed. I drove that stretch of road every day this summer and I don't want to dread going under bridges every time because some stupid kids get cheap thrills from it. This kind of stuff would have never crossed my mind at that age.

Apparently these kids were influenced by an event that happened last week when some people threw concrete and steel reinforcement off a different bridge downtown that damaged five cars.

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll...368/1002/NEWS01

These kids better get more than just a slap on the wrist.

New policy - throw something off a bridge, get thrown off a bridge. Do it, live it.

I'm very serious.

Toss each kid off a low overpass onto hard earth. A broken bone or permanent third-grade education should send a message.

:yes: I completely agree.

New policy - throw something off a bridge, get thrown off a bridge. Do it, live it.

I'm very serious.

Toss each kid off a low overpass onto hard earth. A broken bone or permanent third-grade education should send a message.

Definitely.

Edited by Dodgefan

I agree Fly....

Too many people, but especially kids, don't seem to grasp the concept of how fragile life is. For obvious reasons, I understand that fragility ... and cringe everytime I read something like this ... where a "stupid" action causes senseless death(s).....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Can we stop this time or must we go again?" ... TG Sheppard ... 'Finally'

mustang, there was one of those deals not too far from here recently too. bowling balls.

when i was in high school, one of my friends was part of a group throwing things on to cars off interstate bridges. light bulbs i think. but here's the deal. the person who's car got smashed, stopped, drove back and up the intersection and kidnapped the person who couldn't get away fast enough. he held on to the kid until he could get a hold of the cops, who reamed the kid a new one.

i would give those kids boot camp and jail time.

Edited by regfootball

There's a busy bridge here in Toronto that goes over a major highway. For some reason this was a popular suicide spot. This bridge is a couple hundred meters (yards) long, there are plenty of places to jump including forest, field and a river, but most people jumped onto the highway, endangering other people.

Thankfully they've put up an elaborate railing system that's pretty much impossible to get over without a 12' ladder.

I remember when back in the mid 1990s that scumbag lowlife in california threw a bowling ball

off an overpass & it killed a baby in the backseat of a car after it bounced off an 18-wheeler &

smashed through a windshield.

If that was me and I lost my child like that in a senseless & voilent way I'd make that dirtbag

wish he was never born. What's the matter with kids today? Everything is a freekin joke. It's like

there;s no concept of consequences or morals. These kids should get jail time at the very least.

Its simple. Parents don't teach responsibility in these kids. And with youtube and other online media providing a battering ram in their minds to do things which are insane, such incidents will rise.

I agree with griffon, but it is their parents who should be also charged with attempted murder for producing kids like these.