SYDNEY: 2008 Holden Commodore Sportwagon

GM @ Sydney Intl Motor Show
Holden's New Sportwagon Puts Excitement Back Into Practicality
Posted Image

GM Holden's sleek new VE Commodore Sportwagon made its world debut today at the Australian International Motor Show in Sydney.

The new family vehicle takes VE Commodore's award-winning sporty design and engineering advances and integrates them into a stylish and practical wagon.

The result is a desirable and functional addition to the VE range, offering a new level of comfort, safety and styling in a Holden wagon.

GM Holden Chairman and Managing Director Chris Gubbey said, "The new VE Commodore Sportwagon puts the excitement back into practicality. This is a car for families with a 'get-up-and-go' attitude.

"The generous interior space, combined with sleeker, sportier styling, makes this a wagon that people will want to own as a year-round family car, or for family and business use.

"Holden's new VE Sportwagon turns practi-'cal' into practi-'cool'," said Gubbey.

The VE Commodore Sportwagon unveiled in Sydney today is a production-based concept vehicle. It is the first glimpse of the planned production model scheduled to hit Holden showrooms in the first half of 2008.

The vehicle draws on VE sedan at the front with a sleek and sporty silhouette at the back and is built on the same VE wheelbase. It is the third VE derivative after sedan and the newly released ute range.

Features
Posted Image

At the rear, Holden's designers have cleverly created a wider opening by positioning the tailgate hinge well forward into the roof line. This has created a more vertical opening movement for the tailgate and reduces opening space required around the car.

The higher cargo floor makes loading easier and a flexible cargo cover provides extra security for items stored in the back.

VE Sportwagon seats five adults in comfort and a 60:40 split in the rear seating row can be folded flat for storing larger items.

The motor show display model includes a roof mounted DVD player, Bluetooth capability, multi-function driver information display system and zone-based front and rear park assist systems - all currently standard on the VE Calais V-Series sedan. Features on the vehicle unique to the motor show include 20-inch alloy wheels, chrome window trim and unique interior colour combination.

VE Commodore Sportwagon's pricing, model line-up and powertrain combinations will be confirmed closer to the on-sale date, but expect to see a similar type of strategy to VE sedan, with entry level cars, sports models and luxury models ranging up to the luxurious VE Calais V-Series.

Leading safety technology features such as ESP® will be standard across the range.

Holden's Executive Director Sales, Marketing and Aftersales, Alan Batey, said, "Sportwagon breaks the mould for Holden wagons. It's got great style, performance and practicality for families, businesses or both.

"Customers will get a car that's equally at home as a working tool or a desirable family car - with all the storage advantages that come with a wagon.

"We've added important safety features such as ESP® as standard, and more luxury versions will be incorporated into the range to further increase its appeal to families.

"This is a vehicle that people will desire for its looks as well as its convenience over a sedan or an SUV," he said.

Technology
Posted Image

The concept model on display at the Australian International Motor Show also incorporates a V8 engine featuring Active Fuel Management (AFM) and E85 flex fuel capability. Active Fuel Management allows cylinders to turn off under light load conditions to improve fuel economy.

The engine on show runs the same spark ignition, with fuelling matched to the same equivalence ratio as Holden's current production V8 engine. It is designed to match the power and torque outputs of its petrol equivalent. The use of AFM and E85 technologies in this motor show vehicle aims to highlight General Motors' capabilities in new propulsion advances.

Chris Gubbey explains, "Showcasing an E85 fuel system in this vehicle makes a powerful statement about Holden and GM's commitment to developing alternative energy sources that reduce our dependence on petroleum-based products.

"It also demonstrates that drivers of alternative fuel vehicles don't have to sacrifice performance.

"Our sister brand Saab has led the way in promoting bio fuel technology to advance the public, political and commercial debate in this area. We want to add our voice to that debate whilst simultaneously looking at ways to further reduce fuel consumption in our existing engines."

The current VE sedan range of vehicles on sale in Australia are all E10 compatible with Holden's V6 engine built in Melbourne also converted to E24 in Commodores exported to Brazil.

In 2007 Holden added two new diesel engines to its product line up with the new 3.0 litre VCDi common rail turbo diesel for the Rodeo and Captiva's 2.0 litre common rail turbo diesel. This adds to the diesel options already offered in the Astra range.

Image Gallery
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

the interior is perfect. the g8 should get a tan option.

g8 wagon, oh my dreams! i could be happy again if this car were available when the sedan comes out!

can i get one with a stick? all wheel drive would be nice.

monochrome color scheme, no chrome, no rub strips.....red, or black, or even white.

here's my bitch. why the hell can't anyone find a way to put dvd on the roof and still allow for a moonroof?

i could melt in those yummy seats....OH!

OMG i am in love with this car. this and the cts. OMG

Edited by regfootball

Features on the vehicle unique to the motor show include 20-inch alloy wheels, chrome window trim and unique interior colour combination.

Or basically, most of the details that actually give it character.

Holden's New Sportwagon Puts Excitement Back Into Practicality

Gee... What a play on words, LOL. Can't imagine what other division might use excitement as a selling point.

This would be a nice addition to the Pontiac family as a complement vehicle for the G8 sedan. I could see GM importing this model from Australia before bringing over the Ute due to the wagon's greater utility.

Hopefully, GM starts building Zeta variants on our continent soon so we don't have to worry about American/Australian exchange rates affecting vehicle availability.

Holden's Executive Director Sales, Marketing and Aftersales, Alan Batey, said, "Sportwagon breaks the mould for Holden wagons. It's got great style, performance and practicality for families, businesses or both.

I'm definitely the "target market" for this vehicle. Please GM/Pontiac, bring this over before summer of 2009 so I can purchase one (my AURA lease expires fall of '09; I like to get out of my leases early).

I like the G8 Sedan, but would much rather have this Wagon instead. If Holden gets it in 2008, I want it no later than spring of '09 for Pontiac. This would do wonders for the brand and would help get Pontiac's name out there again.

I will be more than willing to postpone my desired truck purchase for one of these wagons. Really.

Man this is a good looking wagon...ties with the Magnum for my favorite!. Those Aussies sure know how to make some sexy wheels. :wub:

Bring it over!

I do have to laugh at this though:

At the rear, Holden's designers have cleverly created a wider opening by positioning the tailgate hinge well forward into the roof line. This has created a more vertical opening movement for the tailgate and reduces opening space required around the car.

Oh they are so clever! How could they ever thought of such thing? I've never heard of or seen such a clever idea!

...oh wait...

Posted Image

:P

Edited by Dodgefan

I would think Buick should be the one in B-P-G to get a wagon. Perhaps this one goes to Pontiac since there don't seem to be any grille or other exterior changes to the Holdens (it matches the G8).

But if this is successful, when they make a NG Lucerne (and, hopefully call it Park Avenue in NA, too), they could offer a wagon variant as an Estate Wagon.

A very handsome Holden. Love those wheels, and the tan interior looks great. The carpeted load floor with chrome skid strips looks classy. It is definitely a "sport" wagon, however, with that wiiiide D-pillar. It appears it will be as hard to see out the back as a Dodge Magnum.

Well, the "Sportwagon" obviously saw a Dodge Magnum in the design stages.... the "innovative roof opening" (LOL) as well as the interior layout, the rear covered parcel area, the basic dash layout etc..... all sure look familiar.

Sorry guys, can't deny it can you?

That said, I think it's a GREAT looking vehicle. It's a Holden version of a Dodge Magnum, and it will be tremendously popular if it ever comes out IMO.

I think it's funny reg says he likes the interior. LOL (BTW reg- we have a factory power moonroof AND a rear DVD player)

Great looking inside and out.

Great stuff.