Not sure what to make of this encounter...

Even after a wonderful afternoon (Sunday, November 4) of driving my older 4 MCs, I was already a bit shaky when I pulled into the gas station, having just avoided a collision when another driver turned left directly in front of me at the intersection just before the gas station entrance. So, when I stepped out of my '87 MC LS and was promptly greeted by a stranger who seemingly appeared out of the thin air [i think he just walked there, I never did see him near a car], asking several detailed questions about my car, I began shaking a bit more.

The stranger noticed my shakiness and quickly said something about that I shouldn't be concerned...except, he kept REPEATING it throughout the awkward conversation, if you can even call it a conversation. During the time we spoke [the ENTIRE time I was pumping gas into my car, etc.], he accused me of being a young kid who doesn't know anything about cars because the Monte Carlo never had a Luxury Sport model. He claimed I had put the "Luxury Sport" nameplate on the doors aftermarket; I advised him I had not and that the Luxury Sport model was made 1986-1988. He also kept asking if the car was for sale; I assured him it is not.

Then, he called someone on his cell phone and discussed my car with the other person at length ... color, cushioned seats, engine size, etc. I couldn't tell if he was taking pictures or not, but the conversation he had with the other person on the phone was detailed enough for my tastes. Course, then he discovered the sticker in the back windows and asked if all of those MCs are mine and if any of them for sale. I advised him they are not for sale.

He then asked how old I was. Even more startled, I only blurted out that I was born in 1973 ... to which he retorted, "You're lying." He did not believe I am as old as I am and wondered if I was also lying about the Luxury Sport model...hmmm.

I was still shaking a bit when I got back into the car to leave, but he KEPT TALKING to me ... so much so that a few other people trying to get into the station to pump gas got angry ... at me. As I pulled away, trying gracefully to excuse myself, he said something about me being a snotty rich teenager and a "bad person" (fill in the correct expletives) and gave me the middle finger. I thought about stopping, but he had already walked into the building ... and I decided not to give him the time of day, partially because I wasn't up for a major confrontation....

*sighs*

In fairness to the stranger, he DID compliment me on such a fine Monte Carlo, saying that it was in great shape and obviously garage kept (which it hasn't been since 2003 ... but I didn't correct him on that). Even so, the whole episode was just ... weird. I don't mind people coming up to me and talking about any of my cars, but his detailed questions and repeatedly saying "not to worry" got me on edge ... and I'm not exactly sure why. That frustrates me, because I enjoy talking cars with people anytime, anywhere. Sadly, this experience illustrates why I don't come up to strangers with older cars just anywhere anymore ... you never know how they will take it or how they may react.

Aye.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Take your time, hurry up" ... Nirvana ... 'Come As You Are'

Definately a weirdo. Unbalanced? Possibly. Suspicious? Definately. You've gotta have your wits about you with these people... he could have been innocent as a toddler, or he might not. If I were you I'd make sure your MCs are safe under lock and key tonight. If there's one thing that my dad has passed on to me from his near 3 decades in the Royal Canadian Mounted Police... it was to always question and be suspicious. Your story reminds me of a well notable murder case in Calgary a few years back that went down 5 doors down from my grandparents where the killers tried to befriend the victim sorta like that at a Safeway and later followed him home and strangled him.

Am I saying this guy had sinister intentions - not really, but he had a reason that he talked to you for so long before going into the building like he had nothing better to do.

When I worked at the GM dealership in Maryland, we would periodically get Middle Eastern guys sniffing around, asking about random Caprices to buy and ship off to their country. Very odd, we had to chase them off every time they showed up. Reading your account reminds me of something like that, although the G bodies weren't exported over there that I know of, it still sounds like a "scout" making inquiries for some entity collecting G-bodies to resell.

I had an encounter like this one day with an old BMW I had when I lived in Pittsburgh. I was at a self wash car wash and this guy walked up to me and was carrying a bunch of bags from the grocery store and asked me for a ride up town. I told him I was not a taxi and to go call one. Then he started getting really persistant like your guy did. I then noticed the store name on the bags was nowhere near the direction that he walked up from. When I finally told him that I would not be giving him a ride anywhere and that he was going in the wrong direction for me...sorry. He walked down about three bays, threw the bags in the trash, signalled to a guy up the road who promptly came and picked him up and they took off. I gave the cops a description of the car and the plate, but I never heard a thing again.

be cautious...your encounter sounds beyond strange. Course he may have wanted to get you some cash and put a lift on it and throw some 42" wheels under it. :rolleyes:

That is wierd. How was his conversational distance? Was he a close talker? That is strange. I think sometimes people think that if they offer enough money then you will sell your beloved car. It's not true for everyone. You're right about talking to strangers. You gotta really be careful. It's a time and place kind of thing. Most times, I just shoot a "nice car" as I pass by.

This is an increasing concern of mine.

The hobby is getting so 'overpriced' that a lot of people are 'shopping' classic cars now for theft. I had a friend with a 64 Corvette that had been on the cover of a few magazines. He came back from a show where he had met quite a few people, dropped the trailer (with the car in it) at his shop, locked the hitch and everything up only to come back the next day and find everything gone.

My cars are very secure when they're at home, but on the road they'd be easy to break into and steal. For that very reason I've thought about installing both a disabling switch somewhere as well as GPS systems. The only problem with that is, GPS systems generally run about 3000-5000 for a good one and that's NOT pocket change by any means.

I think this guy was just some weirdo though, but I would keep an eye on things for a while. If he has access to a state database, he could run your tag and find out where the cars are relatively easy.

You should have kept your calm, I know it is difficult, but knowing that you were shaking made him go even more after you.

Yeah, I know.

But, as I noted, I was already shaky by barely avoiding the collision ... and his repeated attempts at telling me "not to worry" didn't help matters....

*sighs*

Course he may have wanted to get you some cash and put a lift on it and throw some 42" wheels under it.

*rolls eyes*

*faints*

How was his conversational distance? Was he a close talker?

Yes and no. A couple times, he really got up close ... but that was to "inspect" the car. Otherwise, he kept his distance....

If he has access to a state database, he could run your tag and find out where the cars are relatively easy.

Well, he'd only find one, actually. The '87 MC LS is the only one sitting at the address associated with the tags. The other 4 are in a storage garage out west of town.....

Cort didnt you have another thing like that happen to you once?

Yes ... but, you may be remembering the instance where the guy in the Toyota truck couldn't believe that my '87 MC LS got better gas mileage than his brand new truck.....

"What you said when you left just left me cold and out of breath" ... Chris Daughtry ... 'Over You'

I know about that. Somebody did that with my 1981 Bonneville. This person actually offered $5000 for it. I however am REAL good at knowing when to ignore people and act like I dont care what they are saying. I tell them the truth. I got it from my Grandma and that it isnt for sale.

This begs the question...

This is happening to all of us who own older GM cars or cars no one wanted to buy when they were new. These people got sucked up by all the hype of a new car, a Toyota or Honda and now they want the stuff we drive or have stayed loyal to. Is the tide turning? Do people want the good old fashion American cars back? Do these people see what we knew? People laughed these cars, avoided them when they were on dealers lot, now they want to bother people like Knightfan who drive them because it is cool and looks good to them now?

This is happening to all of us who own older GM cars or cars no one wanted to buy when they were new. These people got sucked up by all the hype of a new car, a Toyota or Honda and now they want the stuff we drive or have stayed loyal to. Is the tide turning? Do people want the good old fashion American cars back? Do these people see what we knew? People laughed these cars, avoided them when they were on dealers lot, now they want to bother people like Knightfan who drive them because it is cool and looks good to them now?

I doubt it..probably just random psychos or kids wanting to build Donks or lowriders..

I think it is to an extent...

I think Detroit should cash in on it by staying true to their heritage (No, not retro designs, rather the personalities of the companies)

Modern america is very disturbing to some and they want something that reminds them of what america once was (READ: more simple times) so they flock to things from those simple times. (Old cars, antiques, small towns, fashion, art, etc.)

Not to mention a lot of people are finally figuring out that classic cars are assets as opposed to junk with the collector market booming like it has for the past 7-8 years.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I've had a few people comment on my '87 Mustang GT and one guy offered to buy it at a car show... I realized a while back that it was getting to be a collectible rather than just another '80s Mustang. A few years ago I started realizing that I didn't see as many 5.0s around as I used to, and at a car show realized that pretty much anytime I see a late '80s 5.0 they are worn out or modified (often tastelessly, IMHO).

Mine is in original, one owner condition--original paint, wheels, interior..only 63k miles..

Creeeeeepy. Sounds very unpleasant.

So many supposed "experts" are really jjust jackassses.

I love the stuff these people say! :rolleyes:

"Berlinetta Camaro? No such thing, you're thinking Beretta."

"My 1981 Firebird came with the 455SD motor! GM only made two...mine and Burt Reynold's"

"Back in the '80s I used to drag race my 100% stock Mercury Lynx and blow off Corvettes"

I guess I'm safe because nobody wants a car as ugly as the LeSabre.

*grins devilishly*

Think again, Fly!!

Ninety Eight ... you might be onto something. Guess I hadn't thought of it quite in those terms, really ... but, in a way, it does sort of make sense. I know quite a few people who, as long as I've known them, have always bought new(er) cars ... and now, all of a sudden, are looking into something older ... either for daily use or weekend play.....

"And the simple truth so very much clearer" ... Everything ... 'Hooch'