Leaders offer up predictions for '08

BigPontiac

Article

My favorite quote:

BOB LUTZ, GM's vice chairman of global product development:

"Now that we have the 35 miles-per-gallon fuel economy mandate by 2020, I am hoping that in 2008 'Professor Doktor' David Friedman (research director, clean vehicles program, Union of Concerned Scientists) and his 'highly-qualified' band of allegedly concerned, self-proclaimed scientists will turn their energy toward showing the world's automotive industry exactly how those numbers, using existing technology and 'costs of a few hundred dollars at the most' can be attained with a vehicle selection that even remotely resembles the cars and trucks Americans want to buy today."

Article

My favorite quote:

BOB LUTZ, GM's vice chairman of global product development:

"Now that we have the 35 miles-per-gallon fuel economy mandate by 2020, I am hoping that in 2008 'Professor Doktor' David Friedman (research director, clean vehicles program, Union of Concerned Scientists) and his 'highly-qualified' band of allegedly concerned, self-proclaimed scientists will turn their energy toward showing the world's automotive industry exactly how those numbers, using existing technology and 'costs of a few hundred dollars at the most' can be attained with a vehicle selection that even remotely resembles the cars and trucks Americans want to buy today."

That is a very telling statement but so was this one:

RICK WAGONER, chairman and chief executive officer of General Motors Corp., was brief:

* "My wishes are for an end to the housing and auto recessions in the U.S. in 2008; a comprehensive U.S. energy policy, and continued success in emerging markets that benefit both the U.S. and those markets."

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

The thing is that "leading" changes with the times, and it appears times are changing, so all that the consumers can do is see what happens and pick cars, trucks, and SUV's that fit their needs and wants. Leading was once big V-8s in cars that did not handle or stop well. Then leading became fuel economy and reliability. Then leading got back to cars that were fast, handled well, and stopped well, and now it appears the second round of the good ol' days of fast cars with big V-8s will be over again. Enthusiasts are such a small group of the car buying public and sales are what generate cars of specific styles and types. I don't think car companies will create volume products for enthusiasts because it will not generate huge sales. The "appliance car people" get most of the focus because most people don't know, or care to know, about cars. That is why Toyota does so well. If most of the car buying public were enthusiasts, then Toyota would probably be about as big as Mitsubishi. I highly doubt that there will be no performance cars. I do think that the performance car will change. It has to change. If it does not, then it will not exist. I can honestly say that I am glad that I am not involved in the auto industry. Now has got to be the most challenging time for all of the automakers employees right now, especially the design engineers and powertrain engineers who must solve the problems of the new CAFE standards while still coming up with innovating, interesting products that people will want to buy.

Mr. Lutz, you will be missed greatly when the time comes to leave GM. I foresee a new era of mediocrity in the auto industry, especially here in America. China is the next emerging market and they will still get the Park Avenues and types of cars that Americans buy now, while our government will push the average Joe into some little breadbox to satisfy the environmental organizations that have a firm grip on a number of influential, vocal politicians. I am becoming less optimistic about the future of the auto industry and this country in general. And the real sad thing is that we were starting to see some actual progress in 2007, some light at the end of the tunnel...only to find out that there's an even longer and darker tunnel ahead.