Buick and slick road = possible totalled car

Dsuupr

It doesn't snow here often, and when it does they don't clear the roads. Well, the Buick decided to go one way and I wanted to go another. Unfortunetly the Buick headed towards a dirt wall. I hit it hard enough to crack up the driver's side fender, mess up the bumper and I'm sure more. When there is more light I'll be able to check it out better.

For the record, this is my first on road accident.

Edited by Dsuupr

How many people here think about ESC? Probably none of us, right? This morning my Tahoe saved my butt big time thanks to it's ESC - Much as you tried to go one way and the car decided to go the other, I turned right in a sweeping turn without thinking about the black ice I was on. Every light on the dash went off and then I felt the Tahoe self correct. Totally caught me off guard, as the rest of the road had seemed dry and I had it in two wheel drive...but when I hit that ice, she started to go quickly and I was in no position to correct it myself ( I am ashamed to say ) No drama or hitting of anything (if I would have been in the 2006 Sierra in 2wd, I would have hit the ditch sideways at about 35 and rolled it!)

Sorry to hear about your Buick. Hope it can be saved. The good news is that you are o.k.. Cars can be replaced (for the most part) people cannot.

Edited by toesuf94

How many people here think about ESC? Probably none of us, right? This morning my Tahoe saved my butt big time thanks to it's ESC - Much as you tried to go one way and the car decided to go the other, I turned right in a sweeping turn without thinking about the black ice I was on. Every light on the dash went off and then I felt the Tahoe self correct. Totally caught me off guard, as the rest of the road had seemed dry and I had it in two wheel drive...but when I hit that ice, she started to go quickly and I was in no position to correct it myself ( I am ashamed to say ) No drama or hitting of anything (if I would have been in the 2006 Sierra in 2wd, I would have hit the ditch sideways at about 35 and rolled it!)

Sorry to hear about your Buick. Hope it can be saved. The good news is that you are o.k.. Cars can be replaced (for the most part) people cannot.

YES! That is so true. We've yet to have ESC (but our new Malibu will have it), and a news report I saw not far back where they took an '05 Yukon 2wd on a snow & ice track with all systems off (it slid and skidded around) then kicked the Stabilitrack back on, and it was amazing. To even better show it, was that it was a 2wd truck in the first place. Stabilitrak is probably still the best family of ESC systems on the market.

That said...sorry about the Buick! Shame to see such a primo car get mangled, but trust me, after a bad "side peel" accident in my beloved Fleetwood in October...things can be fixed, even when book values are low and the damage not so light. Moreso, I was just lucky, but I wish the BEST for you and that car...accidents and the dealings that follow stink, even in good cases.

How BAD is it, really? I guess we'll see soon...

Since the frame is crooked, I would rather they total it than deal with issues down the road.

True, just if you really DID want to keep it, would be an option like I went for with my Cadillac.

Hope it works out.