Meet the bosses of the North American Big 3

As long as I can still buy a V8, then more power to 'em!

But I can't help but think that everyone is still overreacting a bit. (Like in the 80s) With technology, ICEs will continue to become more and more efficient. It's not that I don't want GM to sell more efficient cars, it's just that I DO NOT want them to "give up" on performance cars or the V8 simply because they've been told that the cars must be more efficient... It's all about innovation.

V8s just became available in more than "a few" GM vehicles about 3 years ago... This is nothing new, really.

The emphasis on V8s is changing...

One could argue that this was a MUCH needed change at GM since they have virtually ignored V6's for 10 years and developed their V8s extremely well. (Barring the new 3.6) GM needs BALANCE more than anything and I hope they see that. their V6's should be just as good as their V8s and their 4 cylinders likewise. Just as they should sell cars at the same "level" as their trucks.

That's a very vague statement. Are they going to be less performance oriented, less halo-esque, less displacement/more efficient?

Either way, this and the statement recently by GM Powertrain makes me feel better. GM can either embrace this and offer a WIDE array of innovation and options or GM can cower from it and offer us a rehash of the same $h! we've had from them for 15 years, except with snazzy Opel grilles.

The V8 needs to stay in "certain products" and one of those is a Pontiac halo vehicle; no matter how limited the production.

On the car side: give Buick, Saab and Saturn the turbo V6 at the top. Give Chevrolet, Cadillac and Pontiac V8s as their top models.

Or just appeal the CAFE laws when the new president comes to town :P

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I think Autoweek mentioned it was being developed in Germany too. Link

That article talks about a car based on the Chinese Buick Excelle but goes on to say the car will be on Alpha. All speculation/rumours point toward the Excelle being on DeltaII. Makes sense for China and might make sense of the US if the car is styled right and offers lots in terms of content. Also, where were the last two RWD efforts by GM (Sigma and Zeta) engineered? North America and Australia. Based on that, I think one of those two regions will be awarded Alpha.

Just my :twocents:

Edited by ZL-1

• 4 weeks later...
Enjoy

I did and thank you for sharing it. Besides reading their answers, I thought the drawn color portraits were neat.

But I can't imagine that Alan Mulally is so foolish to actually believe what he said about Mercury. Try the 1968 model line-up, for instance.