In Twenty Years..

NOS2006

So I was thinking earlier and came up with a ton of questions about battery-powered and hybrid, non-ICE vehicles...

1. Can they haul like our diesels? Can they off-road?

2. How would you "mod" one? Add some RAM like a computer? Obviously not, but who knows...

3. When they become widespread, will they be able to power the planes that you fly from here to Europe?

4. Will they be able to be used in the water, ATV, and very cold conditions (not only in cars way up north, but also snowmobiles and the like)?

5. Of course they'll be more expensive at first, but after technology gets going, will they be cheaper than mass-produced ICEs?

6. What will happen to gas stations in 30 or 40 years? Will there be "plug in stations" or will it all be central-based in your homes?

There's so much that was running through my head, and this probably isn't even half of it.

Gasoline will not be going away for a very long time...besides all the commercial uses for gasoline, not to mention the jobs it supplies and the portion of the economy stimulated and in some cases dictated by gasoline costs, a sudden phasing out of gasoline would be highly unlikely. In fact, I doubt any of us will find a gas station to be a "rare sight" in any of our lifetimes...Unless maybe they destroyed every imaginable vehicle ever. Planes, trains, cars, trucks, semis, buses, boats, motorcycles, jet skis, lawn mowers, sea doos, dirt bikes, ATVs, etc...all destroyed and replaced with an alternative source...Yeah...I can see that happening... :rolleyes:

Gasoline will not be going away for a very long time...besides all the commercial uses for gasoline, not to mention the jobs it supplies and the portion of the economy stimulated and in some cases dictated by gasoline costs, a sudden phasing out of gasoline would be highly unlikely. In fact, I doubt any of us will find a gas station to be a "rare sight" in any of our lifetimes...Unless maybe they destroyed every imaginable vehicle ever. Planes, trains, cars, trucks, semis, buses, boats, motorcycles, jet skis, lawn mowers, sea doos, dirt bikes, ATVs, etc...all destroyed and replaced with an alternative source...Yeah...I can see that happening... :rolleyes:

I think it just depends on what you period of time you would consider a lifetime. If you were born in 1880-1890, you were probably a little skeptical of the 'horseless carriage' in your youth, but ended your life being totally dependent on the automobile.

Nick, I see what you're saying, but you can't justify the 2-3 gas stations per intersection that we have today if we don't have anymore ICE engines in production. Demand will be less and less everyday. I don't think we'll see the day where there are no gas stations, but we will see a day with many less gas stations, and possibly "resurge" stations.

I really don't think the ICE will be phased out in our lifetime.

Will electric cars be available and will they sell a lot? Absolutely. But I think we'll see a mix more than anything.

At least, I hope so. Electric cars suck.

Bingo.

I can see gas stations implementing charge-up facilities next to, or in substitution of some of their fuel pumps. We might even see electric-only charge stations. But I really don't think we will see consolidation of many gas stations...Not in this lifetime.

Well, consider this: the Volt really is an electric car (it's internal-combustion engine is only there as a generator, and it doesn't directly power the car) ... but it has to have an ICE to back up it's electric motors, to recharge the lithium-ion batteries. So, you wouldn't be wrong in assuming that a electric-powered motor has a quite long way to go to before it can achieve the range of a gasoline-powered motor and will more or less need it's aid to be a viable alternative until there is a major breakthrough in electric motor technology.

The ICE will still be around for quite a while. :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by YellowJacket894

Well, consider this: the Volt really is an electric car (it's internal-combustion engine is only there as a generator, and it doesn't directly power the car) ... but it has to have an ICE to back up it's electric motors, to recharge the lithium-ion batteries. So, you wouldn't be wrong in assuming that a electric-powered motor has a quite long way to go to before it can achieve the range of a gasoline-powered motor and will more or less need it's aid to be a viable alternative until there is a major breakthrough in electric motor technology.

The ICE will still be around for quite a while. :AH-HA_wink:

Not to mention the jobs created by other alternative fuels... I don't think the ethanol and oil industries would support a mass electric car changeover, especially the ethanol industry since they're investing tons of money and will need quite a few years to see a major return.

I never want to drive an electric car. HOWEVER, I am a proponent of having that choice. I want to have more choices in what consumers can drive. Because as electric cars become more prominent ALL over the world, (Any Volt like program is sure to be a global one from any manufacturer) we'll begin to see the demand on oil go down. It might take a while, but it'll happen.

As far as gas staions go... The answer is simple; they'll diversify. Some will begin selling Ethanol, some will implement charging stations, some might sell hydrogen or CNG (Depending on how widespread those technologies get) If you think big oil, with their deepening pockets, will sit around and let another industry phase them out without buying into and even controlling that industry, then I have some ocean front property in Tennessee for sale as well.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Electric cars will always be bit players, concentrated in population centers. As such, they are a fine thing to have in the mix. However, their capabilities are limited and they will not be the dominant powertrain. A wide array of powertrains and fuels is the answer, never again should we have an economy based on a single commodity.

I do think we will see the day where ICE are the minority of new cars produced. And, unfortunately, I don't think it's too far down the road...

Can an admin please send this thread to the Hybrid Forum? I forgot we had one of those.

I do think we will see the day where ICE are the minority of new cars produced. And, unfortunately, I don't think it's too far down the road...

Can an admin please send this thread to the Hybrid Forum? I forgot we had one of those.

I'll move it for you if you really want, NOS.

But I think it is fine here in the lounge as well. You should get more feedback here.

Electric cars will always be bit players, concentrated in population centers. As such, they are a fine thing to have in the mix. However, their capabilities are limited and they will not be the dominant powertrain. A wide array of powertrains and fuels is the answer, never again should we have an economy based on a single commodity.

:yes: