Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Pontiac G8 GXP Reveal (w/video)

Article

It's a rare occurrence when honest applause breaks out in a press conference over a new model, let alone a transmission. But that's exactly what happened when Maximum Bob talked up the Pontiac G8 GXP, and specifically its optional six-speed manual transmission. Mated to that highly coveted cog swapper is the 6.2-liter LS3 V8 pulled from the Corvette, making 402 hp and 400 lb.-ft. of torque. If you opt for the 6L80 auto 'box, you can check your manhood and an extra two lb.-ft. of torque at the door.
Edited by BigPontiac

I love how the media, and most (not all) auto enthusiasts, say you are less of a man should you not be changing your own gears. :rolleyes:

If it bothers you, you COULD learn how to drive a car with a manual transmission and then not have to worry about it. :AH-HA_wink:

in my mind, a stick is the best way to drive... my biggest beef is those who wine about traffic... unless you have an uber stiff race clutch, modern clutches dont take a toll on your leg, and its not like you have to focus so hard to drive... its second nature...

With a manual, the benefits are numerous and the drawbacks really are few, if you care to learn how to drive it properly, which isn't some massive time-consuming task (it took me around a month to get the hang of my old S-10). For example, with the stick, you have a much better control over the powerband available from the engine and you can control that power to react to different driving conditions (weather, hills, etc.) in ways an automatic could only dream about.

I love manuals, but there are just so many vehicles I like that aren't available with them, that I'm content to live w/ an automatic in a daily driver. I've been driving manuals off and on for 20+ years. As far as traffic goes, it does get tiresome clutching in and out and having to shift and also use my hands to pick up my mocha latte, my bagel, phone, etc..

As far as traffic goes, it does get tiresome clutching in and out and having to shift and also use my hands to pick up my mocha latte, my bagel, phone, etc..

You need to take a ride with me sometime, then. I was with a friend after leaving off campus for lunch today, and I was eating Little Caesar's pizza through town and shifting gears as if it were nothing.

Driving a manual transmission is second nature to me, I am proud to say. :smilewide:

For the most part, I don't allow food and drink (or smoking) in the cars I buy with manuals. :AH-HA_wink:

Oh, believe me, I am mostly anti-food and drink (and smoking too, yes) in my car, as well (it means less cleaning, haha). But when you have twenty-five minutes for a lunch period, you really have no choice. You have to hustle to make good time. And they don't allow off campus food in the building, either. (But they are, oddly, are totally fine with off campus drinks.) You see, I'm not exactly supposed to be leaving (as well as about fifteen other odd groups of 2 to 4 people I know of) ... :AH-HA_wink: :smilewide:

Edited by YellowJacket894

I like having an automatic and a manual car. So i can choose to row my own gears (more fun) or let the car do the work (less fun but more relaxing) Manual can be a little tiring after a while when traffic is bad but I don't mind it for the most part. It's second nature to me. If I need to I can dial the phone, talk on the phone, drink or eat. Although I usually do one of those tasks when the car is stopped.