Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Z-06

Advise, Help, Guide a Friend

32 posts in this topic

My friend is looking for a decent vehicle that will weather her through her residency.

Her Must Haves:

Price: $ 12K Max -> Which means used option.

Trans: Manual, though not an absolute must.

Drive: Any

Size: Preferably Midsized but open to ideas.

She would prefer an American Vehicle.

Any thoughts??

Edited by smallchevy

Give the 9-3 a shot. You should be able to find a 03-05 specimen within her price range that meets all of her requirements and be a blast to drive.

You might also want to try to find a 2002 Alero. 5spd Getrag + 2.2L Ecotec = 8)

Give the 9-3 a shot. You should be able to find a 03-05 specimen within her price range that meets all of her requirements and be a blast to drive.

You might also want to try to find a 2002 Alero. 5spd Getrag + 2.2L Ecotec = 8)

I like the idea of the SAAB and olds. What do you think of the Mazda6? She says she likes it.

My friend is looking for a decent vehicle that will weather her through her residency.

Her Must Haves:

Any thoughts??

Well if new and a warranty are important, couldn't she get a modestly-equipped Cobalt 2.2L/5-speed for close to the $12K after incentives, etc......?

Well if new and a warranty are important, couldn't she get a modestly-equipped Cobalt 2.2L/5-speed for close to the $12K after incentives, etc......?

She told me that she has some points on her GM card. That may not be a bad option then.

I like the idea of the SAAB and olds. What do you think of the Mazda6? She says she likes it.

Some of the early 6s did have some rust issues, but other than that I guess they're OK. They use "venerable" Ford engines, for whatever that's worth to you. Do look into the Saabs, though.

Tru dat, but the Cobalt probably doesn't have the interior room she's looking for.

Maye a used base-model Fusion might fit the bill. Satty has one and seems to like it. A used last-gen Sebring can probably be had too, but I'm not sure of their reliability.

Some of the early 6s did have some rust issues, but other than that I guess they're OK. They use "venerable" Ford engines, for whatever that's worth to you. Do look into the Saabs, though.

Tru dat, but the Cobalt probably doesn't have the interior room she's looking for.

Maye a used base-model Fusion might fit the bill. Satty has one and seems to like it. A used last-gen Sebring can probably be had too, but I'm not sure of their reliability.

Yeah her price range is kinda stifling. Another 4-5K and she would have a plethora of options.

Fusion does not seem to be a bad idea. I will ask her to give that a try. Used Accord may be not a bad idea either, although some of the people here will disagree.

A used last-gen Sebring can probably be had too, but I'm not sure of their reliability.

see if she can get a multi-pack of transmissions though....

I don't remember if I4 G6s had manuals? G6s are quite cheap on the used market. Mazda6s depreciate very fast as well.

I don't remember if I4 G6s had manuals? G6s are quite cheap on the used market. Mazda6s depreciate very fast as well.

No I-4 G6's did not come with a Manual. As for Mazda6 that is what caught my eye. An 06 with low miles can be had at as much as 13k, not bad.

Her Must Haves:

Any thoughts??

It seems like a new car is a must under those circumstances. A set of new tires or even some minor repairs can easily push her past $12K, in addition to taking time away from her residency.

I'd recommend a Hyundai Elantra. I know, I know, it's ugly and heavily fleeted, but because of that, you can grab one for not much money. It's not a bad car to begin with - spacious interior, long warranty, good fuel economy, lots of standard equipment - in fact, I'd go so far as to say it's the best new car under $12K CarsDirect pricing.

What years is she looking for? I mean what year is too old?

Probably a 21st century car.

It seems like a new car is a must under those circumstances. A set of new tires or even some minor repairs can easily push her past $12K, in addition to taking time away from her residency.

I'd recommend a Hyundai Elantra. I know, I know, it's ugly and heavily fleeted, but because of that, you can grab one for not much money. It's not a bad car to begin with - spacious interior, long warranty, good fuel economy, lots of standard equipment - in fact, I'd go so far as to say it's the best new car under $12K CarsDirect pricing.

Hyundai is a no for her. She had a very bad experience with her Sonata. A living legend of "America's best powertrain warranty" was not honored.

Although I do agree that a good new car would do her good.

Maybe a G5 or Cobalt? Might be able to find a left over 2007 with big discounts.

I told her about that. She says only if they are not terrible in depreciation she would. She has a minor in accounting, and says that is money she would pay for her mortgage.

Edited by smallchevy

CarsDirect pricing... may vary with zipcode:

Elantra GLS: $11,732

Spectra LX: $11,466

Cobalt LS: $13,347

Caliber SE: $13,521

Focus S: $14,133

Lancer DE: $14,470

Low mile, V6/5 spd., 2002 Camaro or Firebird.

Fun, handles well, inexpensive, efficient.

I got slapped on my head for that.

I got slapped on my head for that.

Sorry about that, but these cars are a raging bargain right now.

Sorry about that, but these cars are a raging bargain right now.

Oh I know. Do not get me wrong. Let me know when you can convince Estrogen species.

Oh I know. Do not get me wrong. Let me know when you can convince Estrogen species.

Actually, these cars were very popular with the estrogen crowd.

Just ask NOS!

:duck:

And, you can carry a ton of stuff in one.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0