GMTruckGuy's Take on the NYIAS

So around 12:30 PM on Tuesday, me, the wife, and the two boys get into the Envoy and head north up the NJ Turnpike to NYC to attend the 2008 New York International Auto Show. First was a visit to the Times Square Toys R Us, as it was Justin's first time to that store and all of our first time on the famous indoor Ferris Wheel. Afterwards, the wife likes to go to Planet Hollywood for lunch, so we headed one block over to eat. At this point, it's a little after 4:00 PM and I want to head over to the Jacob Javits Center for the car show. A very interesting 15 minute cab ride later, we arrive and get started. Below is just a quick snapshot of what piqued my interest; yes, I drink the GM Kool-Aid and mainly go to see what GM has on display (most cases, I see the other manufacturers b/c my wife and/or step-son want to see other-than-GM vehicles).

DSCN5741.jpg

If you've ever been to the NYIAS within the last few years, you're greeted to the huge Scion display before you get to enter the actual show. My step-son, Anthony, is in love with Scion, and hopes to get a Tc when he gets his driver's license in about 3 years. I know, I still got time to change his mind for him!

Anyway, above is Scion's concept for 2008, the HD Coupe. I asked if it basically is a reworked Xb, and the guy stated they share many parts, but with the lack of coupes on the market, Scion is exploring this market more. I will admit that out of all the Scions, this is the only one I can say I like.

Being a "truck enthusiast", I tend to start off in the basement, where GM, Ford, and Dodge/Jeep showoff their trucks and commercial vehicles:

DSCN5745.jpg

My step-son was in love with the GMC Sierra NFL show truck. He wanted me to buy this Sierra! Not likely.

DSCN5760.jpg

Jeep Renegade? More like Jeep Ribbit. My 2 year-old, Justin, agreed with me that it looks very "frog-like" in it's design. Jeep did not "wow" me this year with their concept.

DSCN5755.jpg

Of course the military is always on display there. The Marines had their recruitment Hummer H3 on display, while the Army had the above pictured International MaxxPro on display. Quite a massive truck it is in person; that's the best I could do.

DSCN5751.jpg

While not a truck, Speed Racer's Mach 5 was on display. This looked to be a mock-up for promotional duties instead of an actual car used int eh filming process. Many people were drawn to it, however there was nobody around it to talk about the car or the movie.

DSCN5765.jpg

I will say that while it's a little awkward in its proportions, I like the upcoming 2009 Ford Transit Connect. There were 3 on display; the Taxi version (pictured), a version for a construction contractor, and one for a band (repleat with band instruments). I think this will give the HHR Panel some competition in the long run.

Continued...

Continued...

Moving upstairs to the more mainstream manufacturers, we walked through Nissan (Anthony wanted to see the GT-R?), Lexus, Mercedes & BMW (the wife likes to dream), and into the Dodge/Chrysler area.

DSCN5772.jpg

There were 3 Challengers on display - silver & orange SRT-8's and the blue SE. I like the blue color on this car. Many people were hovering in and around this area.

DSCN5784.jpg

Not too many people in the Saturn area, but there was the FlexStream on display. It did attract people, but there were not many nice comments being said about it that I overheard.

Next up was Chevrolet, and surprisingly I didn't take any pictures of the Traverse. The wife really likes the Traverse, and said she'd buy it over the OUTLOOK and Acadia (but not the Enclave) :rolleyes: . She sat in the Malibu and finally stated that she could see owning one, but it wouldn't be at the top of her shopping list.

DSCN5906.jpg

That's the angle I like best of the new CTS Coupe. The wife was in love with this car and said she'd want the Couple over the Sedan if she had the money to get one. She sat in a mid-level CTS sedan and day-dreamed about owning one.

DSCN5811.jpg

I really like the Provoq a lot. Not many people were around this concept/show vehicle - they were all over the CTS Coupe & CTS-V. I thought the wife would like this, seeing as how she likes the VUE. She'd rather have the CTS Coupe and as a result, didn't pay much attention to the Provoq.

DSCN5839.jpg

I gotta say that this car impresses in person. I think the side profile shot isn't that great due to the length of it (since it covers the driver and rear passenger). But many people were all over this display at all times, and GM definitely has a winner here. I spent some time in the Black LaCrosse Super... I still like this car, even if it's on the out-dated W-body.

Continued...

Continued...

DSCN5814.jpg

For some reason, this shot makes the H3T look like a "big rig" (aka Dodge Ram). No one was paying attention to this show truck on the display, and I never heard the speaker talk about it at all during my entire time in the Hummer area. I think it is an impressive pickup truck and if I needed a real off-road capable GM pickup truck, I'd look no farther than the Hummer H3T. I still prefer the 2004 Hummer H3T concept pickup over this production version, but I know that regular cabs don't sell.

DSCN5896.jpg

DSCN5899.jpg

DSCN5898.jpg

You should tell by my posting 3 pictures of the Hummer Hx I was head over heels for it. And so were many other people. This was the big draw in the Hummer display and many people were telling the Hummer spokespeople that Hummer should go ahead and build it. I asked one of them if they have been getting positive feedback and they said "a lot". If it's made, I will definitely be looking into one. I've always wanted a Jeep Wrangler, but can't live with one as a daily driver (and have no real need for an off-roader). However, I feel the Hx will be more liveable and it would make me join my neighbor when he & his friends take their quads off-roading.

DSCN5874.jpg

This is one awesome looking car. The color is fantastic and the G8 GXP drew a big crowd. Too bad that's a one-off custom color.

DSCN5872.jpg

The Targa version will definitely help with Solstice sales. I overheard many positive comments from the crowd it drew.

DSCN5846.jpg

DSCN5883.jpg

DSCN5882.jpg

The G8 ST is an awesome niche vehicle. If I could manage with a 2-seater as my daily driver, I would so buy one. Not too many people were hanging around this vehicle, and it drew all kinds of comments (positive, but more negative) while I was there. Pontiac will sell every one they get over here, but how it will aid in the rebuilding of their image, I'm not sure.

Continued...

Continued...

And to finish my take on the show, the creme de'la creme (for me, atleast!), the GMC Denali XT:

DSCN5867.jpg

DSCN5907.jpg

DSCN5870.jpg

I know many of the posters here don;t care much for this trucklet, but I walked away from the show wanting it even more. The GMC spokesperson manning the display stated that he's received many positive comments and feedback from attendees on this GMC. He said that if there's enough positive feedback, GM may seriously consider producing it. While I want a non-Denali version myself, I agree that toning down the styling would aid in selling more. I love the chopped-top and boxy look of this concept. While I would love the G8 ST as my daily driver, I could definitely see myself in the more practical Denali XT.

We ended the show by visiting the Ford displays. The wife really likes the Ford Edge now, so time was spent in the ones they had on display. She finished by visiting Volvo. I asked why there was no S40s or V50s on display (just one C30 R-Design), and was told that Volvo makes more money off the S60 & up models, so they didn't bring the lower-priced models for that reason. Oh well...

Now I've attended every NYIAS since 1995. I've gotten there early in the morning, I've gone on both weekends and weekdays, but this year introduced a change that I will carryover for all future visits to the NYIAS = going later in the weekday. Like I stated in the beginning, we got to the show just before 4:30 and stayed to closing (10:30 PM). There were very few people in the "basement" around 4:45 PM, and by 7:00 PM the second floor was thinning out. It was easier to take pictures, sit in the vehicles, and talk to the spokespersons one-on-one. I'd recommend it to anyone that doesn't like wall-to-wall crowds.

I hope you enjoyed my take!!!

Nice pics, I used to go to the NYIAS every year growing up, from around '90, '91 till about '98, '99...the last show I went to was '05. I love being able to see all the new and concept cars, but the parking and the crowds and all the hassle involved with it have led me to stay away. But I would like to go again within the next couple of years (for old times sake).

Edited by Delta Force79

If they made a Civi version of the Transit Connect, with a 6 Cyl... That might be something I'd consider (over a Flex definitely)

Well, I don't know about the 6 cyl being available, but a 2nd row, split folding/removable seat is standard. Plus the Ford lady said that you'll be able to customize it to fit your needs, so I'd imagine a few will end up as passenger models too.

Roger, I hope you don't mind, but I moved this to the NYIAS forum, and linked to it on the front page.

Between the two of you, we certainly have some top notch coverage of NYIAS this year!

Thanks to both of you. :thumbsup:

It looks as though I will not be able to attend the show afterall, so I'll just have to make my machine's sound work so I can hear Z's interviews instead.

Great job on the pics and the play by play. I enjoyed the pics of the Denai XT. I like that vehicle. The pictures of the G8 GXP really show off the travel in that show color. That color rocks! Great picture of all the vehicles. Thanks for sharing.

Roger, I hope you don't mind, but I moved this to the NYIAS forum, and linked to it on the front page.

No, not a problem! I posted mine in the lounge, as I didn't want to take away from your expose (which is much better than mine of course!). I appreciate your kindness in including my little write-up alongside of yours. :thumbsup:

I'm glad that both z28 and I are able to share our NYIAS experience with the entire C&G community. z28 of course has a much better commentary and photos, and knowing that he was working on it, I just wanted to highlight my personal preferences from the show. I do have additional pictures I can post, if anyone wants them. Since z28 posted a lot, I didn't want to duplicate much. Just post your requests here and I'll see what I can do.

I think I speak for all of us when I say, "Don't hold back". I don't think anyone here would turn down more pictures of all the hot showings from GM 8)

Holy cow, GMTG ... sweet write up and pics.

Thanks for sharing your comments/thoughts and pics with us. And, z28 ... thanks for highlighting GMTG's with yours!

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"We all enjoy the madness" ... Robbie Williams ... 'Millenium'