• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

balthazar

Project INVICTA

Posted (edited)

• Put the dang blasted center link on loosely, so the car can be rolled outside with the front tires connected. Aired up the fronts and rolled the car about 6-inches, just to have it break it's 'gravity lock' with the same spot it's been sitting in for over a decade.

DSC05166.JPG

• Met up with an audiophile friend of mine who gave me sound system advise going forward- I need to cut holes in the package shelf for the rear speakers. Have a set of 4 Polk Audio speakers on order. Also going to fabricate a divider board between the trunk & back seat, which will also get sound deadening.

• Stripped & refurbished both rear armrests, including patching over the hacked speaker holes there. Ready for re-upholstery.

DSC05169.jpg

Edited by balthazar
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

• Primed/painted the inside of my heater box assembly & made a new 'flapper door' seal (directs air either to defroster, or heat vents).

• Worked on speedo- has a revolving drum and altho the drum turned fine, the port where the speedo cable went into it was locked up. Worked at it and kept lubing it until it freed up & now spins freely. Re-assembled the speedo for now, but also made the decision I'm going to have the housing re-chromed. So starting a 're-chome' list.

DSC05168.JPG

• Measured out for a 'rear bulkhead' panel to block sound from the trunk. Will cut it out of thin plywood this week.

Edited by balthazar
  • Upvote 3

Glad to see progress on this.

Posted (edited)

Cut the rear package shelf for 6x9 speakers. Took a bit of welding to eliminate the factory ribs, but went well.

DSC05170.JPG

DSC05171.JPG

Also made & sound-dedened the rear bulkhead panels using Masonite- they're peeking thru the speaker hole above

Edited by balthazar
  • Upvote 1

Cool progress, thanks for the update. 

Keep going, ya gotta beat your brother! :metal: 

Posted (edited)

• Package shelf got painted after the speaker holes were cut, and sound deadener adhered around those 2 holes.
• Drilled holes to mount a funky Pontiac dome/swivel map light to the ceiling cross-rib.
• There were 2 circa 2-in holes in the trunk floor to access the body mount bolts there, so whipped out some aluminum covers for those.
• Cleared the car completely off- it's going outside under the sky on Saturday!

B-59 06.14.18.jpg

Edited by balthazar

Yep; she went out under the sky today. What a literal thrill for me.

• Ground welds, wire wheeled & orbital sanded the trunk out- getting it ready for priming/painting inside there. Great progress.

DSC05179.JPG

• Upvote 3

Hit the steel one more time with Scotchbright pads, vacuumed it out, washed it down with a de-greaser, masked it off and shot 3 cans of etching primer all over everything.

DSC05202.JPG

DSC05212.JPG

• Upvote 1

Today's work :
• sorted thru my box of various '59-72 horns
, adjusted the original '59 horns until they honked again, then tested them vs. others so I have my '72 Riviera 4-note horn quartet together again. Have a 12-V regulated power supply unit, but it can only fire 1 horn at a time- need a car battery to blort all together. Will refinish the horns cosmetically.

• put the car up on jackstands. Need to drill my gas tank to accept a 1/2-in fuel elbow, and it would've hit the trunk floor as is. Came up with some rubber bushing to space the tank down about a 1/2-in and clearance everything. Need to go buy a 7/8-in drill bit to get the fitting into the tank tho. Also need to buy and modify an universal fuel sender, as the original is shot.

• Upvote 1

Here's today's work; the factory 20-gal tank and the original fuel sender.

DSC05261.JPG

Made up this deal- aluminum top plate drilled to accept the fuel elbow, a huge steel washer that was drilled & tapped, then split in half so I can fish it into the tank thru the sender hole. It's going to be mounted in that flat area southeast of the sender hole.

DSC05263.JPG

Here's the point of this fabrication: enlarging the factory 1/4-in fuel line to a half inch.

DSC05264.JPG

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1

Very cool update, so how will you get the half washer pieces to hold in place to screw in the top piece? 🤔