GM to take a $1.8 billion hit in Q2, thanks to UAW going on strike against American Axle

The final UAW local union ratified a new labor agreement with American Axle on May,22,2008 ending a work stoppage that affected appoximately 30 GM plants in North America.

As previously disclosed , the work stoppage at American Axle resulted in a loss of appoximately 100,000 production units in the first quarter of 2008 , which had estimated impact on earnings before tax of appoximately $0.8 billion.

In the second quarter , the American Axle strike is expected to result in the loss of an additional 230,000 production units , which is estimated to have an earnings before tax impact of approximately $1.8 billion.The whole filing here

Just think of what this money could have done for a Cobalt replacement, or a RWD Impala, or Volt, or.................... :banghead:

Is American Axel the only company that can supply the needed parts or are others being ramped up to produce the parts?

I am sure if a supply of parts is brought in that somebody can be found to build the damned cars without the Union team that is striking.

Is American Axel the only company that can supply the needed parts or are others being ramped up to produce the parts?

I am sure if a supply of parts is brought in that somebody can be found to build the damned cars without the Union team that is striking.

Heh... GM attempted to circumvent the UAW/American Axle strike by contacting vendors/suppliers used to manufacture the Malibu in Asia... what happened? UAW went on strike at the Malibu plant.

GM can't win.

Who killed the electric car? They'd be well ahead of Toyota if they'd merely pulled the EV-1 off of the market and allowed it to gestate further. Squandered opportunities.

What does that have anything to do with this topic? :blink:

As valid as any anti-union (or pro) comment here. Where would GM be now if they allowed the EV-1 to EV-olve?

It's not valid because it has nothing to do with this thread. It belongs in it's own thread, not a thread about a strike costing GM money because it didn't have the vehicles to sell due to lack of units.

Who killed the electric car? They'd be well ahead of Toyota if they'd merely pulled the EV-1 off of the market and allowed it to gestate further. Squandered opportunities.

Why did PCS appoint you as his successor? You are not filling his shoes well, sir. I hear the newspaper you are using to fill in the spaces crinkle as you walk. :smilewide:

Why did PCS appoint you as his successor? You are not filling his shoes well, sir. I hear the newspaper you are using to fill in the spaces crinkle as you walk. :smilewide:

Nice Solstice H/T. It'd horrify you to know I see those every day.

Not as though business is booming on this site.

Huh... why did GM just announce they are cutting truck production by 138,000 units is they are hurting for units to sell?

I had assumed that the strike was a convenient way to cut inventory while not appearing to have to do so.

So the question is, is this a $1.8 Billion loss due to the strike, or is the strike a convenient way to pretend that GM's sales wouldn't have tanked $1.8 Billion anyways due to trucks no one wants?

Thanks for the heads-up.

No problem. :smilewide:

The thought of old 'crinklefoot' building 'em sits right with you? re: the solstice h/t. very nice car by the way. a booming niche filler.

You aren't PCS, so you are nothing to seriously worry about. Not meaning to be rude or anything, mind you.

As valid as any anti-union (or pro) comment here. Where would GM be now if they allowed the EV-1 to EV-olve?

Bankrupt.

GM just needs to break the union and get it over with.

Times are tough right now and I bet GM could EASILY find people to work in their factories for a fraction of what the union wants. Just do it GM. File bankruptcy if you will and kill the cow that the parasites live on.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM