Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Opinions on places

I was talking with a guy at work the other day, and it turned into a conversation on places we wouldn't mind living. Some of the highlights:

(me) I wouldn't mind living in Delaware, its the state nobody ever thinks about, very incognito

(him) Too many gay people for me

(Seriously, he said that, he's a good guy otherwise, so I didn't rip him a new one for being homophobic like I normally do)

(him) Kentucky wouldn't be that bad

(me) Have you ever been to Kentucky?

(him) No

(me) Its like West Virginia, without the class

(him) Ouch, West Virginia is known for being pretty poor

(me) I almost moved back to Chicago a few years ago

(him) I liked Chicago, but I dont think I could ever live there

(me) But there is so much to do

(him) Its expensive and crowded

(me) Yeah, but there is so much to do

(me) We've already decided to move to Savannah

(him) Really? I dont see you in the south

(me) I'll be pissed at myself within a month

(him) So why would you bother?

(me) Because I love roaches and humidity

I dont mind it right here in Northeast Wisconsin. Yes the winters are sometimes a little more than some want to deal with its better than some of the alternatives. I can do without hurricanes and 100+ degrees temps though it gets plenty humid here in the thick of summer. The cost of living isnt too out of line and house prices are retty reasonable.

I really enjoyed living in the Baltimore area for 6 months while working at Aberdeen Proving Ground.

The city itself kind of gets a bad rap, there are plentiful drag strips and some of the best speed shops in the country in Glenn Burnie. I hope to return someday.

Handy when buying a car, I assume. I think I'd rather have no state income tax, like Alaska, Florida, and a handful of other states.

There is a tax on cars, currently 3.25% and considered a "document fee". Still, fairly low compared to some and not a big deal.

Income tax, yes, but with no tax on everything else you buy in daily life it is really nice (and shocking when you go out of state), plus living in Delaware in in general is quite affordable especially in terms of real estate and other taxes. All quite low. In a place with a nice climate, beaches and bays aplenty, great land, etc. Just a very nice atmosphere. Not a metropolis, by any means, aside from some northern cities (it's only 3 counties and 2 hours top to bottom), but not far from many either. It's a huge place to "move to" after tiring of Pennsylvania (huge transplant status...us included), New Jersey (SO many people retire here due to even just the insane taxes up there), Maryland, and more.

As for the gay thing...wow, what a weird comment to make. Bad personal experience of that friend, Satty :AH-HA_wink: That's just a bizarre thing to say...other than in beach land, not exactly a huge concentration. You know, as such a disease :rolleyes:

Oh, and as a Delaware person myself now...but also largely living in the Philly suburbs for the past 4 years with school, I'm still at a loss in regards to WHERE I might want to land now that I've, uh, graduated.

The plan was to move anywhere that the perfect job took me, but as some things didn't pan out, and I'm doing a temporary (I hope) stay at home in beach-land and working here for the interim, I'm still exploring going anywhere. I think I'm naturally east cost, but could be welcome to farther south, inland a bit, or even west coast. No idea...will go wherever things take me, hopefully when they do soon.

(him) Kentucky wouldn't be that bad

(me) Have you ever been to Kentucky?

(him) No

(me) Its like West Virginia, without the class

(him) Ouch, West Virginia is known for being pretty poor

:rotflmao:

You forgot about the state's rampant drug problems as well as all of the lazy hicks mooching off of social security. :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by YellowJacket894

I have a lot of relatives in Kentucky (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc), but really wouldn't want to live there. I've lived in eastern Ohio, SE Michigan, S. Florida, Chicago, Colorado and Arizona... for the near future, I'll be splitting my time between Denver and Phoenix/Scottsdale... not sure where I'll go next--after the next big life milestone (June 28, 2010) I may move back to Colorado full time or try a tech hub on the West Coast--- maybe Portland, Seattle, San Diego, or SF Bay Area, but I will always want to spend time in Colorado...

I had a co-worker that grew up in the Baltimore suburbs, moved to Chicago and loved it, then moved to the DE beaches to be closer to family. She was here for several years, but in the spring decided she really just missed Chicago TOO much, bought a condo, and moved back in the course of a month--even without a job lined up, she just had to get back.

Last year, from talks, she convinced and helped another younger co-worker looking to expand upward that Chicago was the place and she headed out first and has loved it, when she finally found a job.

It's been recommended to me to, by them, for various reasons. City atmosphere with something for everyone, real estate not as insane as some big places, etc., just with crappy weather (hah, cold and windy when it isn't summer), but that it isn't a big deal. As a new college grad, I wanted to fly out and check things out...but never did yet. Don't know if I'm a Chicago person, but I'd love to try it on.

Housing in Chicago is ridiculous, compared to Missouri, at least. A studio in a decent neighborhood, without a guaranteed parking spot, costs as much per month as my mortgage here. Owning something at $900/month seems like a far better financial move than renting something for the same money. Renting is a pretty bad financial move in almost any situation.

Yup... no INCOME tax is where its AT!

As far as Kentucky, you know what they're famous for?

Inventing the tooth brush.

If it have been invented in any other state it would be a TEETH brush. :P

(relax, it's a joke)

I had a co-worker that grew up in the Baltimore suburbs, moved to Chicago and loved it, then moved to the DE beaches to be closer to family. She was here for several years, but in the spring decided she really just missed Chicago TOO much, bought a condo, and moved back in the course of a month--even without a job lined up, she just had to get back.

Last year, from talks, she convinced and helped another younger co-worker looking to expand upward that Chicago was the place and she headed out first and has loved it, when she finally found a job.

It's been recommended to me to, by them, for various reasons. City atmosphere with something for everyone, real estate not as insane as some big places, etc., just with crappy weather (hah, cold and windy when it isn't summer), but that it isn't a big deal. As a new college grad, I wanted to fly out and check things out...but never did yet. Don't know if I'm a Chicago person, but I'd love to try it on.

You will miss Delaware if you go, I know I do when I am away. :AH-HA_wink:

You will miss Delaware if you go, I know I do when I am away. :AH-HA_wink:

I've thought that, especially living in beach land as I do. Not that I'm a big beach person anymore, but there's something about the atmosphere I just like...probably just the cool factor of it being a place where people from all over flock to each year on vacation, yet it's my daily life even in winter.

We'll see. I think I'd like to stay on or near a coastal area, maybe, and am open to but not hot about the middle of the country...I can't give a good reason why, just a thought. Need to explore more! :thumbsup: Too bad I'm always in a time/work crunch.