Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
!!!TED!!!

!!!ACHIEVA!!!

50 posts in this topic

Not to be outdone by BV's Jetta...

It gives me great pride to present my 1995 Oldsmobile Achieva (after a loooong ass search)!

Bought yesterday for an as-is price of $850 CAD.

Its a 3.1 V6, has power everything, including keyless entry. It has 170,570 Kilometers (105,992 miles).

I am her 3rd owner. The first owners were an elderly couple, and had the car untill 2006. The person who sold it to me used it for short trips to work. Since Oct '07, he only drove about 7000 K (4349 miles). It is in pretty good shape, and appears to have been undersprayed (by the first owners).

It has some common Achieva problems. The drivers side power window doesn't work, or works in short bursts. The front passenger window switch doesnt work (but can be lowered from the drivers console).

Also, the CHECK GUAGES light comes on from time to time.

Here are some pictures I took last night, and today.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

Another Olds joins the fold! Congrats, she looks good!

The pictures give clues, but I hope you have fun with her. I'm glad your search is over, Ted.

The body looks good for Ontario. I assume you looked underneath, checked out for trouble spots. The Acheiva can be a safe bet because of the way the original owners look after them - as opposed to a Cavalier Z24, for instance.

Keep it six months and get $750 from Car Heaven on your NEW GM. :lol:

That's a pretty color. I can't remember if you were specifically looking for the 6 over the 4, but it should be pretty trouble free. The steering wheel is showing some wear and looks like it could use a cover or a replacement.

That's a pretty color. I can't remember if you were specifically looking for the 6 over the 4, but it should be pretty trouble free. The steering wheel is showing some wear and looks like it could use a cover or a replacement.

I did want the 6. I was willing to go for a 4 if a clean enough car presented itself. The 3.1 is generally a more reliable engine than any of the QUAD family.

The steering wheel appears to have had a stick on cover. Its glue you see. :yuck: Gonna suck cleaning it.

The body looks good for Ontario. I assume you looked underneath, checked out for trouble spots. The Acheiva can be a safe bet because of the way the original owners look after them - as opposed to a Cavalier Z24, for instance.

Keep it six months and get $750 from Car Heaven on your NEW GM. :lol:

It does look decent underneath!

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

I don't want a new GM. :P

The pictures give clues, but I hope you have fun with her. I'm glad your search is over, Ted.

What do you see? :o

Is it what I think you see?

She looks mighty clean, I like that shade of blue. Congrats!

The blue is awesome. It really stands out in a parking lot of silver, white and black cars.

:thumbsup:

Nothing too major, based on the photos. The door jamb sticker is missing from the driver's door, and the bolts are painted over that hold the latch in, meaning to me that door has been replaced with a used door (and the bodyshop just painted over the bolts), notice the other doors still have black bolts at the door latches. Is that clearcoat I see peeling a bit from the beltline area of the rear driver's side door? It may have either been repaired or at least had the paint blended with the front door replacement. This would lead me to look at the driver's side fender for signs of replacement, repair, or, at least, paint blending.

Again, if the repairs were done correctly it shouldn't be a problem for you, nor should it lessen your enjoyment of the Olds. Keep us up to speed with your progress, sir!

I did see the driver door sticker missing on first inspection, but figured it had been removed.

On a more detailed inspection now that I have it, the car has defintely been repainted.

The little skirt piece over the passenger side rear wheel is a slightly different shade.

Whoever painted it did an ok job at least. The paint is nice and shiny. :lol: so whatever.

The rear drivers side door is slightly of alignment, and has a small dent. It does indeed have peeling clearcoat.

I had my first underachieva moment this morning when I went to get gas. The bloody filler door release did not release.

It worked fine when I tested it earlier. Had to pry it open with a key.

Ooooh, classy! :P

BTW, I kinda overlooked taking engine pics.

The whole engine bay is nasty dirty.

Its gonna need some serious cleaning.

The motor runs good though!

Ted that is a clean car for being as old as it is and living up North. Congrats that is a great color wish that was the hue on my Torrent. Enjoy your new (to you) GM ride and welcome welcome to the family... No Toyota's for you now son. :Toyota::lol:

You know, as long as you don't spray directly into the air intake pipe, a high-pressure washer will clean that up nice. Just spray it down with de-greaser first, let it set a few minutes, then use the high-pressure spray.

Congrats man! I've always liked those cars, the 3.1 should last forever and the body/undercarriage looks in very good shape.

Thanks!

Im very happy with it so far.

Today is e-test and safety day...so cross your fingers.

If all goes well, Im scheduled for a little roadtrip for the next few days.

Back in the day my parent's '93 Achieva S 4dr became my second car.

Mine was car No. 2, after the '94 Sunbird 2dr., it was that lighter blue,

more aqua-sky-blue kind of shade. I didn't get rid of it till the day I

bought my '68 Camaro.... mine had the craptastic 115 hp Quadfour.

Two reasons why Ill never probably own another:

1. FWD (duh!?)

2. Door mounted seat belts.

Anyway congrats, enjoy your new (to you) N-body.

Just think of it as a Grand Am Brougham d'Elegance.

And with the price of ga$ these days she'll do well.

Should get about 3.47 imperial gallons of kerosene

per one hundred French Canadian Kilometers. :wink:

P.S. is that Crown Royal in the storage bin under the

center stack? Drinking & driving is BAD! :P

Wow, I didn't know you had an Achieva 68!

P.S. is that Crown Royal in the storage bin under the

center stack? Drinking & driving is BAD! :P

The former owner left his Raybans. They come in a blue bag.

Update:

The car has working cruise control, and the heating and cooling works AMAZING.

Twist the knob, and it goes from icy to oven instantly.

Its very sprightly on the highway to my delight.

The car is at the mechanic as I type this, and I should find out how it did later today.

I hope he finds everything in good order.

I hope he finds everything in good order.

It was...mostly.

Guess what famous 3.1 problem it does have though. :pbjtime:

Things that should be done for tommorow:

drivers power window motor :lol:

2 matching front goodyear tires (currently, all 4 on the car are mismatched) :angry:

new gas tank (it leaks a bit from the seams) :nono:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0