!!!ACHIEVA!!!

Not to be outdone by BV's Jetta...

It gives me great pride to present my 1995 Oldsmobile Achieva (after a loooong ass search)!

Bought yesterday for an as-is price of $850 CAD.

Its a 3.1 V6, has power everything, including keyless entry. It has 170,570 Kilometers (105,992 miles).

I am her 3rd owner. The first owners were an elderly couple, and had the car untill 2006. The person who sold it to me used it for short trips to work. Since Oct '07, he only drove about 7000 K (4349 miles). It is in pretty good shape, and appears to have been undersprayed (by the first owners).

It has some common Achieva problems. The drivers side power window doesn't work, or works in short bursts. The front passenger window switch doesnt work (but can be lowered from the drivers console).

Also, the CHECK GUAGES light comes on from time to time.

Here are some pictures I took last night, and today.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

The body looks good for Ontario. I assume you looked underneath, checked out for trouble spots. The Acheiva can be a safe bet because of the way the original owners look after them - as opposed to a Cavalier Z24, for instance.

Keep it six months and get $750 from Car Heaven on your NEW GM. :lol:

That's a pretty color. I can't remember if you were specifically looking for the 6 over the 4, but it should be pretty trouble free. The steering wheel is showing some wear and looks like it could use a cover or a replacement.

That's a pretty color. I can't remember if you were specifically looking for the 6 over the 4, but it should be pretty trouble free. The steering wheel is showing some wear and looks like it could use a cover or a replacement.

I did want the 6. I was willing to go for a 4 if a clean enough car presented itself. The 3.1 is generally a more reliable engine than any of the QUAD family.

The steering wheel appears to have had a stick on cover. Its glue you see. :yuck: Gonna suck cleaning it.

The body looks good for Ontario. I assume you looked underneath, checked out for trouble spots. The Acheiva can be a safe bet because of the way the original owners look after them - as opposed to a Cavalier Z24, for instance.

Keep it six months and get $750 from Car Heaven on your NEW GM. :lol:

It does look decent underneath!

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

I don't want a new GM. :P

Nothing too major, based on the photos. The door jamb sticker is missing from the driver's door, and the bolts are painted over that hold the latch in, meaning to me that door has been replaced with a used door (and the bodyshop just painted over the bolts), notice the other doors still have black bolts at the door latches. Is that clearcoat I see peeling a bit from the beltline area of the rear driver's side door? It may have either been repaired or at least had the paint blended with the front door replacement. This would lead me to look at the driver's side fender for signs of replacement, repair, or, at least, paint blending.

Again, if the repairs were done correctly it shouldn't be a problem for you, nor should it lessen your enjoyment of the Olds. Keep us up to speed with your progress, sir!

I did see the driver door sticker missing on first inspection, but figured it had been removed.

On a more detailed inspection now that I have it, the car has defintely been repainted.

The little skirt piece over the passenger side rear wheel is a slightly different shade.

Whoever painted it did an ok job at least. The paint is nice and shiny. :lol: so whatever.

The rear drivers side door is slightly of alignment, and has a small dent. It does indeed have peeling clearcoat.

I had my first underachieva moment this morning when I went to get gas. The bloody filler door release did not release.

It worked fine when I tested it earlier. Had to pry it open with a key.

Ooooh, classy! :P

BTW, I kinda overlooked taking engine pics.

The whole engine bay is nasty dirty.

Its gonna need some serious cleaning.

The motor runs good though!

Ted that is a clean car for being as old as it is and living up North. Congrats that is a great color wish that was the hue on my Torrent. Enjoy your new (to you) GM ride and welcome welcome to the family... No Toyota's for you now son. :Toyota::lol:

You know, as long as you don't spray directly into the air intake pipe, a high-pressure washer will clean that up nice. Just spray it down with de-greaser first, let it set a few minutes, then use the high-pressure spray.

Back in the day my parent's '93 Achieva S 4dr became my second car.

Mine was car No. 2, after the '94 Sunbird 2dr., it was that lighter blue,

more aqua-sky-blue kind of shade. I didn't get rid of it till the day I

bought my '68 Camaro.... mine had the craptastic 115 hp Quadfour.

Two reasons why Ill never probably own another:

1. FWD (duh!?)

2. Door mounted seat belts.

Anyway congrats, enjoy your new (to you) N-body.

Just think of it as a Grand Am Brougham d'Elegance.

And with the price of ga$ these days she'll do well.

Should get about 3.47 imperial gallons of kerosene

per one hundred French Canadian Kilometers. :wink:

P.S. is that Crown Royal in the storage bin under the

center stack? Drinking & driving is BAD! :P

Wow, I didn't know you had an Achieva 68!

P.S. is that Crown Royal in the storage bin under the

center stack? Drinking & driving is BAD! :P

The former owner left his Raybans. They come in a blue bag.

Update:

The car has working cruise control, and the heating and cooling works AMAZING.

Twist the knob, and it goes from icy to oven instantly.

Its very sprightly on the highway to my delight.

The car is at the mechanic as I type this, and I should find out how it did later today.

I hope he finds everything in good order.

It was...mostly.

Guess what famous 3.1 problem it does have though. :pbjtime:

Things that should be done for tommorow:

drivers power window motor :lol:

2 matching front goodyear tires (currently, all 4 on the car are mismatched) :angry:

new gas tank (it leaks a bit from the seams) :nono:

Guess what famous 3.1 problem it does have though. :pbjtime:

oil leak from intake manifold?

Oh, and the Achieva is one of a few cars I've owned that I

do not have a scanned/digital photo of. I'll have to do so

for ya, if you're curious.

I had a '93 S model sedan in THIS EXACT (semi-rare) blue:

You never see this color anymore, not the violety-blue, or the

darker royal blue, or the teal-moss blue gray... but THIS exact

medium blue. And as luck would have it mine had the peelig

issue on the roof, onoly started after 110K miles or sothough.

50027617784ab9a49c3wp0.jpg

but with these 14" alloy rims, "square phone dials" I liked to call 'em. :P and the same black/chrome beltline trim

achievald0.jpg

Edited by Sixty8panther

Cool beans 68!

Your most forgettable car, eh?

Didn't realize there were so many blue versions. What blue do I have?! :blink:

I just came back from a 7 hour stint at the mechanics. I helped him do some of the work.

Installed a new gas tank. The old one was very rusted and badly corroded.

Then the power window. OMG what a pain in the ass. Even though I reasearched how to do it, and was instructing him a bit, 2 clips still got broken. :huh:

Luckily, it only nedded a new motor. The regulator worked fine.

Next, slapped on 2 semi-new (excellent tread) Goodyear touring tires on the front. One of the old ones the car had was a bit rubbed out on one side, so I let him keep it. The othere is a Michelin (I think, will have to look...tired :lol: ). That one will be my new full size spare! :P

I also finished installing all the bulbs that were burned out. The only one that doesnt want to work, is the underhood light. Anyone know what I could do to get it working?

After all this, I now have a PASSED safety! 8)

Tommorow morning, its E-Test time. Oh boy!

Total Achieva cost so far (excluding gas): $1420 CAD

Cool beans 68!

Your most forgettable car, eh?

Well, that's not saying it's a bad modern car, I'm pretty

sure ten years from now if you have a list of 47 cars

you've owned including a 1968 Camaro with 337

horsepower, 455 powered 1976 Buick 4dr hardtop, 1964

Olds Super 88 Holiday, 1959 Buick with neailhead power

and that's just scratching the surface.... you might say

the Achieva was just the start of your life long affair

with GM cars/trucks.

And besides, I'd rather have the Achieva back than a few

of my demolition derby Fords including a RWD Granada.

Didn't realize there were so many blue versions. What blue do I have?! :blink:

Some Olds nerd on here can tell you the exact name of your shade. :P

Edited by Sixty8panther

Oh, nad as far as the intake leak... run thick oil, check it regularly

and you can put off that expensive repair. Intake leaks on the 3.1

liter V6s are NOTHING compared to the intake leak in my poor '97

STS's northstar... due to the bonehead who owned it before me:

he used regular oil in a car that came from the factory with Mobil1

synthetic, that's a BAD idea. Cost me almost as much to keep oil

in that car as it did to gas it up, mile/mile.

Of course that's when gas was $1.79/gal for premium! <_<

Achieva update:

She is fully plated and ready to go!

Did the emission test today, and paassed with flying colours!

etest.jpg

Runs great. I did some 0-60 laps, and the best one I was able to get was 8.5 (worst 9.5)!

Loving this car :thumbsup:

I managed a 7.9 sec. 0-60 time in my '97 Grand Am SE (same 3.1 liter V6)

...ONCE :lol:

Some new pictures from a brief photoshoot yesterday.

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

(this last picture looks like Lake Ontario, but the whole lower half is actually the Achievas roof!)

After about 400 Kilometers, here are some thoughts:

Total Achieva cost to date (excluding gas): $1650 CAD

Favorite features: keyless entry (I have alot of keys), power (great low end torque), design/colour

Least favorite feature: Steering wheel is too big with the airbag, obscuring gages. This is GM's fault. The original design (92-93) featured a nice 3 spoke, but was changed to a corporate wheel to meet safety requirements.

Fun facts:

My car was built on Tuesday March 21, 1995 at Lansing Assembly in Michigan. It went through the "M plant" on line 2.

On that date, the pilot episode of

premiered on NBC.

I also found this:

1995 "In 1475, the Supreme Maya Council revealed the long-held vision of an ancient Solar Grandmother named X'Nuuk'K'in – that a sacred calendar cycle of twice the Kal'Tun (260 years) must go by before the Solar Culture would flourish again.

"On March 21, 1995, this 520-year period was completed and the Age of Knowledge (Itza Age) began; a time when ancient and hidden knowledge is to be reawakened; a time when the condor of the south is to meet the eagle of the north and there will be a return of the Light of health, purity, wisdom, and healing on Earth. Via the magnetic grid of energy that envelops planet Earth and the many sensitive spots on the Earth often referred to as Sacred Sites, the elders said that the solar ceremonies in Chichen Itza in March, 1995, anchored the intent to activate humanity in the Light."

:huh::blink:

WOw... deep.

P.S. I still hate the 21st century. I WISH it was 1995 again.

I also finished installing all the bulbs that were burned out. The only one that doesnt want to work, is the underhood light. Anyone know what I could do to get it working?

This may be obvious, but you do know that the parking and/or headlamps have to also be on for the hood light to operate, right? I thought the hood light was broke on my '95 coupe when I first bought it back in November till I figured this little thing out.

Also a liberal spraying of GM Super Lube or somting similar to the pintle holding the fuel door shut may help you out as it did for me.

This may be obvious, but you do know that the parking and/or headlamps have to also be on for the hood light to operate, right? I thought the hood light was broke on my '95 coupe when I first bought it back in November till I figured this little thing out.

Also a liberal spraying of GM Super Lube or somting similar to the pintle holding the fuel door shut may help you out as it did for me.

I....did NOT know that! Now I have to go check!

My mechanic said to apply a piece of double sided tape to the plastic trim inside the fuel door. He thought that it was loose and obstructing it.

I did not, as the door seems to be open-able by hand with the right pull.

Any and all other tips are highly appreciated!

Oh, and welcome to C&G!!!

(pics of your car please...so my Achieva isn't lonely)

BTW Ted, here's a couple of pics of my '95 you might enjoy. :) Its not a loaded out one like yours, but it is about the only non ragged out one with a manual I have seen in a while. Of course its a Q4 but the motor seems to be in pretty good shape save for a typical leaky water pump and cracked radiator I had to replace. It had only 64K miles when I bought it back in November and has about 70K now.

post-4767-1213925359_thumb.jpg

post-4767-1213925386_thumb.jpg

post-4767-1213925495_thumb.jpg

Edited by fightingbee

Yeah the clean motor and seats really made up for the fact it needed some work.

I'll bet the 'ol 3100 will look just as good after a little detail work. 8)

BTW, check out this link 1994 Oldsmobile Achieva - Long-Term Wrap Up

I think that article was the only time I have seen another Achieva in your shade of blue.

Edited by fightingbee