Original Olds pace car available

I was not aware of the customization of this Indy pace car- it's rather extensive for a pace car, which traditionally was lucky to get non-standard paint. Interesting piece :

7443_81008703247e940abd45a8.jpg

Here's the text that was posted with the pic, from March 2008:

>>"1977 was the fourth of four years that Olds served as the official pace car to the Indy 500 during the 1970's - more than any other manufacturer! The car used for the 61st Indy 500 was a 77 Olds Delta 88 Targa Top driven by James Garner. The car featured a unique targa top design that would not be available on the replicas. Bucket seats and console mounted shifter were also unique to the pace car.

There are two originals of this car. One is in the Indy Racing Museum, the other, the actual pace car driven by James Garner in my garage. It has 19,603 miles. We are looking to sell it, or find a place that might be interested in buying it. We have several more pictures upon request. 708.331.4800"<<

Go git it!

Edited by balthazar

what a huge trunk you have mr olds. lol

looks that way anyway.

It's a baby version of my Banana... same basic frame & structure

with diferent end caps & outside sheet metal. Not sure if it would

have the power-pulldown trunk like my Caddy.

And I was going to comment on that Balthy: the sig. of three

fire engine red tails is delicious.

I can only think of one way to "one up" that.

NWS:

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/4595/90561893ji6.jpg

what were you thinking FOUR cars? :P

Glad to see that she lives. When I was in high school Greta, my debate coach drove one of the pace car replica's. I remember many a Saturday A.M. getting up to go to an out of town debate tournament and watching her car pull into the 24 hour resteraunt where we all met...at 3 AM.

That was one cool, cool Oldsmobile. My father owned a four door version of that olds the same color as the Bannana Boat. I miss that car too...I had a lot of fun dates in that car...

Chris

• 7 months later...