Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

In a time of downsizing to small cars we just bought a large, RWD, BOF, V8 car

Gas is $4.00+ a gallon. People are in a panic to get rid of their trucks and SUVs, desperate to get into a smaller more fuel efficient vehicle, even at the cost of their credit. Scienetists say we are doomed, and the Earth will literally boil and explode in the next year if we don't all start walking, riding bikes, and stop driving the things we love and farting.

However, we're bucking the trend. That's right, and the RWD/BOF/V8 fanatics should be proud. Last week we bought a 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis. After a week or so of dealing with the hassle of MA's retarded registration polices we picked up the car on Wednesday. The man we bough it from is quite a character, pretty funny guy, but he was also very nice and prompt about getting the title mess straightened out. We paid $1,000 for it.

It's Medium Mocha Clearcoat Metallic (I think)/tan cloth interior. No rust at all. Only some bubbling in 2 places, and some clearcoat fade on the hood, and the frame is rust free. It runs super smooth, shifts great, brakes great, and drives down the road straight as an arrow. A/C is ice cold, and all of the electricals work. The interior is also very clean. here are a few small issues:

• Driver's seat frame is broken (replaced it today)
  • Passenger window motor died while he was showing us the car..will fix later
  • Needs a passenger side headlight light bulb
  • Someone didn't screw the driver's door panel back on right...will fix tomorrow
  • Parking brake doesn't work
I'm very happy with it, and it's cool to have one of these things. Driving it reminds me a lot of the `71 Sedan Deville I drove...right down to the light steering. Here's some photos I snapped today after replacing the seat...gonna go wash it tonight.

100_0350.jpg

100_0343.jpg

100_0351.jpg

100_0352.jpg

100_0347.jpg

100_0344.jpg

100_0345.jpg

100_0346.jpg

100_0348.jpg

So all of the greenies can and blow it out their exhaust pipe. :D

Edited by Dodgefan

Thats a good old car you got there. BOF V8 and all ata boy! Congrats and best of luck with her, please get matching wheel covers tho man.

Yeah, there's actually a funny story behind those chrome ones. When I find a matching set I'll put them on ASAP.

What happened to buying Mopar?

Simple, there were no good ones in the budget. the one car there was ended up being sold the day I called about it. We were looking for Intrepids but none turned up.

Make sure you get the rubber trunk kit thingie that the police use now sometimes to prevent it from exploding when rear ended. I can not joke about this, hundreds of good cops with families have died as a result of this defect and I'd just as soon you don't join them. It's been a defect on the Panther platform from year one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTfL5AphtFI

It's a pretty nice looking car and it's a good find :thumbsup:

Make sure you get the rubber trunk kit thingie that the police use now sometimes to prevent it from exploding when rear ended. I can not joke about this, hundreds of good cops with families have died as a result of this defect and I'd just as soon you don't join them. It's been a defect on the Panther platform from year one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTfL5AphtFI

It's a pretty nice looking car and it's a good find :thumbsup:

well now that's lovely. Where do you actually get one of these Fire Panels? The website doesn't seem to show how to get one and how much it costs.

Anyway, I'll take some more photos tomorrow, now that she's nice and clean.

Edited by Dodgefan

We have a lot of Charlton Hestons as customers. They'll give up their Grand Marquis when someone pries their cold, dead fingers off the steering wheel. Good luck with her. Is her name "Bertha"?:)

Various police agencies have sued Ford over this defect. Your car looks very pink to me DF, it suits you! :smilewide: Now don't get mad, remember I own a purple car! :AH-HA_wink:

Hah, must be the evening lighting combined with the less than stellar camera. It's champagne. :P

Thanks Camino. I was at the Autozone parking lot this afternoon when a guy around my age in a 2003 Grand Marquis pulled up next to me and asked me about it, and complimented on how good it looked for it's age. We chatted for a few moments, that was pretty cool.

If there's one thing I've learned so far about this car is that it's finicky. That being said I enjoy driving it, it's a great cruiser. Would I take it over my car? No way, but it's cool having a car with a completely different character.

Look at me. I own 2 large GM b-bodies and am not about to part with either. Been driving both of them pretty regularily too. Nobody better try telling me that I cant drive them or do things to try to keep me from driving them as much as I want.

So far it's been pretty good. There were a few issues that cropped up. Check Engine light came on...turned out to be a clogged intake hose which is probably why the engine ran a bit warm. Runs at normal temp now. The transmission would also not enjoy going in reverse after the car warmed up...the car would shudder and not really go back. Replaced the filter and changed the fluid. Problem solved. Changed the oil. Also the driver's seat frame was broken, so I got a replacement from the junkyard. All that's left is some interior trim and a set of matching hubcaps

We enjoy driving it, even thought it only makes 190hp, it makes 260 ft.-lbs. of torque, which is quite noticeable compared to the other cars. The transmission is impressive because it upshifts and downshifts very smoothly, and has yet to be caught off gaurd. It's better than both the trans in my car and the Cobalt.

I'll post some cleaned-up pictures later.

Edited by Dodgefan

Congrats DF. :D

I see my reverse-brainwashing was completed successfully. You are 100%

bona-fide TIGHT WHIP$ approved now. Thats your family's first V8, RWD

or BOF car since I've known you... two unregistered unibody Cuda's aside.

Except for the cheesy padded 1/4 roof (gaaawd) she's a fantasti-cool Ford-bubble.

Congrats DF. :D

I see my reverse-brainwashing was completed successfully. You are 100%

bona-fide TIGHT WHIP$ approved now. Thats your family's first V8, RWD

or BOF car since I've known you... two unregistered unibody Cuda's aside.

Except for the cheesy padded 1/4 roof (gaaawd) she's a fantasti-cool Ford-bubble.

Hey I was 100% approved when my FWD Mopar hauled our asses to Oklahoma and back. :P

I actually don't mind the roof. It contrasts with the light paint. More importantly it's in good shape...no rips or tears. By the way, I've been meaning to ask if there's any special cleaner or care that bust be taken of the vinyl roof besides the obvious (like not going through a carwash with those rotary brushes).

Edited by Dodgefan

Never had a padded vinyl roof but I would not go to any extra

length for it either way... car wash should be fine.

You know the only BOF/RWD/V8 Mopar from my lifetime I want?

81-83 Imperial. :woot-woot:

Never had a padded vinyl roof but I would not go to any extra

length for it either way... car wash should be fine.

You know the only BOF/RWD/V8 Mopar from my lifetime I want?

81-83 Imperial. :woot-woot:

Those were unibody, by the way (IIRC, the Imperial through '66 was the only BOF RWD Mopey after '59).

I may be wrong but I thought it was just a re-skinned Cordoba? those were BOF, no?

Thanks guys. Here's a couple more photos:

100_0401.jpg

100_0398.jpg

100_0397.jpg

100_0396.jpg

I've been working on fixing little things on the car. Today was replacing the plastic sun visor holders that were both broken. Next week will probably be new window motors for the passenger door and the driver's side rear door. I've also got some newer chrome switches to replace the faded chrome ones on this car. Gonna take off the driver's door panel and put it on properly, whoever did it last didn't do a good job of securing it, so it rattles. Need a passenger side headlight assembly. New compressor soon.

Need a set of matching hubcaps...or 2 matching alloys. The car came with 2 alloy wheels with almost new tires on them

This is a project of sorts (one of 3), mainly little things and giving it some TLC. When I'm finished it and the other 2 cars will get interior detailing (I have no idea how the pros get the interiors so clean).

Edited by Dodgefan