OSM Honda Roadster Unveiled at British Motor Show

siegen

LOW EMISSION HONDA ROADSTER BREAKS COVER
Two-seat design study unveiled at British International Motor Show
hondaosm.jpg

Full Article & Photos @ TOV
Additional Hi-Res Photo Gallery @ Autoblog

Honda’s low-emission sportscar study model has been revealed at the British International Motor Show, at ExCel, London.

The lightweight roadster design study displays one of Honda’s core engineering principles – to design stylish and exciting cars that are also environmentally responsible.

Named the OSM (for Open Study Model), the two-seater joins the confirmed-for-production CR-Z sports hybrid and FCX Clarity hydrogen fuel cell car on the Honda stand at the show.

“We’re trying to show that low emission cars can be attractive,” says Andreas Sittel, Project Leader for OSM. “There is no reason why a car that’s more environmentally friendly can’t look great too – and be sporty and fun to drive.”

Not gorgeous but way more attractive than the reecent garbage from Hon-duh/Acura.

The Pilot, Rigeline, and all the new Acuras get a solid F.

The new Accord is alike a D+

And this from a company that used to make the

Legend, I'm no Honda fan but the 2nd gen.

Legend, esp. 2dr was a sharp car.

1995.acura.legend.77-396x249.jpg

I've yet to understand how Honda managed to

design a car with near-perfect proportions and

a very sleek luxurious package but then make

it FWD. Stupid-stupid.

The Sterling/Vigor are another enigma.

Temple of V-tech? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what's worse, worshiping V-tech or a

gold statue of a cow, ether way if there is a real

God I'm sure he dissaproves.

I even like the tail lights.... the side (profile) is a

little awkward. Short wheelbase, long front

overhang & high belt line = goofy.

Now that the rambling is out of the way, is this a preview of what the next S2000 might look like?

It might show the design language that will be used in the next S2000. It is a design study, not destined for production, but there's really no saying what they are going to do with the next S2000 and rumored sub-S2000 model.

This vehicle employs IMA (charge/assist meters seen in dash area). This may be the sporty drop-top counterpart to the CR-Z (which is confirmed for production). I am extremely excited for both of the vehicles. A sporty, RWD, lightweight, 50-60+MPG vehicle would be awesome; as long as it comes with a 6-speed manual transmission.

From rumors I have heard recently, Acura may get a $40-60k convertible roadster to go against the Z4/SC/etc, while Honda will have a lower priced roadster to compete better in the mainstream with the Miata/Solstice/Etc. No more $35-40k Honda roadster, as the market for it is simply too small. It sounds like a smart move from a business standpoint, I hope there is more to it than just rumors.

Temple of V-tech? :rolleyes:

V-tech is a phone company :AH-HA_wink:

The TOV has been around since '96. Unlike other Honda/Acura sites, the owners maintain a very unbiased and professional atmosphere. It is the most respected Honda site, and the owners have full press privileges along with other perks, such as the Civic Si that Honda provided them to tweak and modify for the SEMA show following the 8th gen Civic's introduction. They obtain loaner cars (just like the magazines) prior to a vehicles intro and provide their own reviews. One of the site owners also owns a performance shop with a Dynapack (hub dyno), and often posts dyno charts of the latest vehicles before anyone else.

wow... cool. (if you're a Hon-duh fan) - that's something WE need.

Hey GM: I'll take a CTS-V 6-speed manual for a short term loaner.

Pleeez-n-thanx. 8)

Actually love the Vigor, have a friend with one and its a great car, an d nice loking in person also.

The roadster in the OP makes me think a bus pass is in my future if I'm forced to buy a car like this.

Chris

Not gorgeous but way more attractive than the reecent garbage from Hon-duh/Acura.

The Pilot, Rigeline, and all the new Acuras get a solid F.

The new Accord is alike a D+

And this from a company that used to make the

Legend, I'm no Honda fan but the 2nd gen.

Legend, esp. 2dr was a sharp car.

I disagree with you on a lot of things, but the Ridgeline and Pilot we can agree on.

My wife laughs out loud every time she sees a Ridgeline, she thinks they are amazingly ugly.

Chris

The roadster in the OP makes me think a bus pass is in my future if I'm forced to buy a car like this.

Chris

I dunno about that. This one at least looks like you could still manage to have some fun with it.

And it looks pretty good, too IMO.

Agreed, the Ridgeline (and just as much the new 09 Pilot) are EPIC_FAIL in the stylng dept.

Agreed, the Ridgeline (and just as much the new 09 Pilot) are EPIC_FAIL in the stylng dept.

The only problem I have with the styling of the Ridgeline is the area where the bed meets the cab. Otherwise the styling is pretty solid.

The way the tailgate misses the bed rails by an inch on each side, heightwise, is amazingly annoying. Why not a tight S-curve to meet the bodyline there, instead of intentionally misaligning them? Cheaper?

Well, if the tailgate were taller, it would be that much more difficult to get into the in-bed trunk thingy with the tailgate down. If they lowered the bed rails, the bed shallower and that much less useful. Probably more of a utility compromise than a money comprise. Not that it would actually be cheaper. Not that suggesting its a money thing makes any sense anyways, cause if they wanted to save money on the tailgate, they wouldn't have done the double-hinged act.

The way the tailgate misses the bed rails by an inch on each side, heightwise, is amazingly annoying. Why not a tight S-curve to meet the bodyline there, instead of intentionally misaligning them? Cheaper?

Honda doensn't cheap out randomly like that. If I remember correctly, it had to do with rearward visibility from the cabin.

this might just be a coincidence, but has anybody else noticed that if you sound out OSM , it sounds a like awesome but with an o instead of an a?

I'm pretty sure that isn't a coincidence, as I read about it in at least one of the articles. :scratchchin:

Well, if the tailgate were taller, it would be that much more difficult to get into the in-bed trunk thingy with the tailgate down. If they lowered the bed rails, the bed shallower and that much less useful. Probably more of a utility compromise than a money comprise. Not that it would actually be cheaper. Not that suggesting its a money thing makes any sense anyways, cause if they wanted to save money on the tailgate, they wouldn't have done the double-hinged act.

Any way you slice it, or make up excuses for this

or that the Rigeline is a stinking pile of $h!. I

was disgusted by its styling and more so when I

sat inside one we got in trade at the dealearship

last summer... the customer who traded it for an

Avalanche could not stop talking about how poor

the truck performed for him and the fact that he

was more disapointed in it than any other vehicle

he has owned ever.

There's plenty of "ergonomic" or practical or even

logical excuses for the Aztek's styling but in the

end they are both ugly as sin and there's no way

you can talk yourself out of that paper bag.

Any way you slice it, or make up excuses for this

or that the Rigeline is a stinking pile of $h!. I

was disgusted by its styling and more so when I

sat inside one we got in trade at the dealearship

last summer... the customer who traded it for an

Avalanche could not stop talking about how poor

the truck performed for him and the fact that he

was more disapointed in it than any other vehicle

he has owned ever.

There's plenty of "ergonomic" or practical or even

logical excuses for the Aztek's styling but in the

end they are both ugly as sin and there's no way

you can talk yourself out of that paper bag.

People's experiences will vary.

The Ridgeline is a good vehicle for those that need it. It is not a stinking pile of $h! any more than the Corvette is.