Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
daves87rs

A little oil poll....

43 posts in this topic

Ok, I;ve been thinking (watch out! :AH-HA_wink: )

I'm getting ready to switch oils in the Cobalt.

The Balt has been running Quaker State dino up till now.

But I think it's time for an upgrade. :yes:

I would like to drop Mobil 1 in, but since I didn't break the car in (and guessing not easy either), and the milage (around 40k), I don't want to deal with the hassles of going full Syn.....

So I have decided to go with a syn blend- either Valvoline Durablend or Castrol Snytec Blend.

I wanted to know what you guy/gals thought....which brand do you use? And if so, do you like it?

Right now, the Balt does mostly city driving, hence my reason for more protection...

The only time I used Castrol was with the Neon, and it burned through the GTX...Granted, the head gasket was going......

I'm leaning toward the Castrol, as my friend has had great success with it......

It's not much of a poll without an actual poll. :P

The blends are useless, as you get rid of all of the advantages of full synthetic by mixing it with dino oil.

Go Mobil1 and never look back. It's actually better to do it sooner than later because as cars get older the seals get older, and syntheic will find any leak. Which is why our cars just stick to the dino juice, since they're all near the 200k mark.

I've only converted two cars to Mobil-1 synthetic...

- my 1968 Camaro (GM perforamance catalog crate ZZ350)

- & the '84 Datsun that died a violent death from a head-on with red-light running BMW.

In most of the cars I drive there are minor-to-moderate oil leaks

& the milage is so high that synthetic does not make much sense.

It's not much of a poll without an actual poll. :P

The blends are useless, as you get rid of all of the advantages of full synthetic by mixing it with dino oil.

Go Mobil1 and never look back. It's actually better to do it sooner than later because as cars get older the seals get older, and syntheic will find any leak. Which is why our cars just stick to the dino juice, since they're all near the 200k mark.

Oh yeah-I forgot about that. :P

Though that is not quite true- I know people who run blends and have noticed changes in their cars.

I ran Durablend in the S-10 for a while, and I noticed a difference......

I run Mobil 1 in the wife's car (still runs like new), and the other cav will get it soon.

My worry with the Balt is that it will find leaks...don't want to deal with that...

So that is why I'm considering a blend....

What hassles going full Synth? There is no alternative to Mobil 1.

Leaks.

I'm not sure how the previous owner broke it in....

If Mobil 1 is good enough for GM to put it in Corvettes, it's good enough for all my babies with four wheels. It's the 1st thing I change when I get a new car.

So Mobil 1 regardless, I see? 8)

Mobil 1 and you can realistically double your oil change interval.

Mobil 1 and you can realistically double your oil change interval.

Even with Mobil 1 and a good Wix filter, I still change the oil somewhere between 3000-4000 miles...

Call me old fashioned, I just don't trust leaving oil in for longer than needed....and I check it often.... :yes:

If Mobil 1 is good enough for GM to put it in Corvettes, it's good enough for all my babies with four wheels. It's the 1st thing I change when I get a new car.

True, that's why the Cavs both get it...

But the Balt is more of a "beater"...... :smilewide:

In synthetic oil circles across the globe, anoraks are claiming that Mobil 1 is no longer a pure synthetic because the basestock 298is220f is no longer KQEDD-certified Group 27A III... or something to that extent.

Apparently German Castrol Syntec (only available in 0W30) is the way to go. For the record, I use dino oil on cars that only call for dino oil...

In synthetic oil circles across the globe, anoraks are claiming that Mobil 1 is no longer a pure synthetic because the basestock 298is220f is no longer KQEDD-certified Group 27A III... or something to that extent.

Apparently German Castrol Syntec (only available in 0W30) is the way to go. For the record, I use dino oil on cars that only call for dino oil...

That, and the big fight between Castrol and Mobil on who's syn product is better....

Royal Purple FTW!!!!

Royal Purple FTW!!!!

Good stuff- but I am not paying 8 bucks a bottle for my "beater"... :P

In my other cars, maybe.... :yes:

Mobil 1 in my engine. Royal Purple in my trans. GM Spec stuff in my supercharger. :)

Mobil 1 in my engine. Royal Purple in my trans. GM Spec stuff in my supercharger. :)

RP in your trans?

Well, I guess everyone is right...

After this oil change...ALL of my cars will have mobil 1 in them..... :yes:

The other Cav was already getting it....I decided to just do the Balt anyways...

Actually, GM and Chrysler both use Mobil 1 in there high performance stuff, we've got a Challenger sitting in our showroom at my job and the 6.1 Hemi in it uses Mobil 1 from the factory, just like Vettes. I would hands down say that for an everyday driver, Mobil 1 can't be beat. Now if you're running a high performance toy, run Royal Purple, otherwise, Mobil 1 will fix your fancies.

Actually, GM and Chrysler both use Mobil 1 in there high performance stuff, we've got a Challenger sitting in our showroom at my job and the 6.1 Hemi in it uses Mobil 1 from the factory, just like Vettes. I would hands down say that for an everyday driver, Mobil 1 can't be beat. Now if you're running a high performance toy, run Royal Purple, otherwise, Mobil 1 will fix your fancies.

And it means I can have a little more fun with the Balt and have no worries about the engine.... :yes:

The Balt does about 65 city/35 Hwy right.....

I've been inconsistent with the LeSabre because of the front seal leak, but I finally got around to putting a bottle of Lucas Stop Leak in, so I don't think the sale of the week will be going in anymore. I'm not going to run synthetic in it, but I haven't decided what I will use next time I change the oil.

I've been inconsistent with the LeSabre because of the front seal leak, but I finally got around to putting a bottle of Lucas Stop Leak in, so I don't think the sale of the week will be going in anymore. I'm not going to run synthetic in it, but I haven't decided what I will use next time I change the oil.

Watch out..Lucas tends to be crap...

So far, so good. It should have worked its way through by now, I'm going to top off the oil and see what happens.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0