Volkswagen Scirocco

New Volkswagen Scirocco

I still think its sort of ugly overall, but it is growing on me, especially in that crazy blue colour.

I think the VW badge should sit on the nose rather than hood. I do believe that would take care of my main issue.

Edited by MyerShift

You know, this may sound crazy, but I was looking at the headlamps of the Scirocco, and then its profile, and to me, it almost looks like what a MK VI Golf could look like. Familiar, but more advanced in its general styling.

Compared to the old Scirocco or even the Corrado, the new Scirocco isn't as coupe-like as it is Golf-like.

• 2 weeks later...
Mr. Shift, Golf Mk VI photos are all over the web just today, and you are right... the Scirocco looks like a squished Mk VI Golf/Rabbit. I like the Scirocco, but LOVE the sharper, new Golf Mk VI/Rabbit! Wow.

Guest aatbloke

I think it looks superb, progressive yet conservatively Volkswagen. The styling theme has very obviously been extended to the Golf VI as well - no bad thing.

I have no doubts the new Scirocco will have mass appeal to those mourning the loss of the former models in this country.

Guest aatbloke
You know, this may sound crazy, but I was looking at the headlamps of the Scirocco, and then its profile, and to me, it almost looks like what a MK VI Golf could look like. Familiar, but more advanced in its general styling.

Compared to the old Scirocco or even the Corrado, the new Scirocco isn't as coupe-like as it is Golf-like.

The original Scirocco was nothing more than a Golf with a coupe bodyshell in any case.

The original Scirocco was nothing more than a Golf with a coupe bodyshell in any case.

What would you think of letting go of the 3-door Golf and positioning the Scirocco the same way Opel positions the 3-door Astra?

• 3 weeks later...

The Mk5 Golf looks like a Toyota Matrix - which is fitting since the Mk5 Jetta is a Toyota Corolla with a VW badge.

It seems like they lose it on the odd numbered marques and regain in the even. Remember the ugly, squat Mk3's? It was so badly designed that the wheels always looked too small no matter what size rims you used.

I was really hoping they'd go back to European styling when they designed the Mk6's but it looks like they're going to stick with Japanese design.

"Volkswagen - Japanese Style. Mexican Quality. Chinese Parts. Farfromwerkin."

The Mk5 Golf looks like a Toyota Matrix - which is fitting since the Mk5 Jetta is a Toyota Corolla with a VW badge.

It seems like they lose it on the odd numbered marques and regain in the even. Remember the ugly, squat Mk3's? It was so badly designed that the wheels always looked too small no matter what size rims you used.

I was really hoping they'd go back to European styling when they designed the Mk6's but it looks like they're going to stick with Japanese design.

"Volkswagen - Japanese Style. Mexican Quality. Chinese Parts. Farfromwerkin."

Have you seen the current, crazy Matrix even? How does it look like the relatively dull Rabbit?

I do miss the "cleaner" look of the MkIV, but even Walter d'Silva wants to return to the simpler VW designs. I think that's part of the reason the gaping chrome maw from the Iroc concept was dropped in favor of the new Scirocco grille. Regardless, it is a good-looking car. Shame about the Passat CC with all those lines going everywhere.

I know this. However, it seemed better differentiated than the current Scirocco.