Well that was fun......

well as ive mentioned before, im a volunteer firefighter.... ive been a junior (non responding) member since i was 16, and last month i became a full member. Well last night we had a report of a house fire... the first since ive been in.... cool for me right?

not so much.... see yesterday i had been sick all day, and had been throwing up. when the call got toned out, i had just thrown up, but there was no way i was missing it. we get to the scene, and my compnay had the 3rd hoseline, meaning we werent taking the brunt of the fire. by the time we really were in there, the fire was pretty much done, but this place was a mess... real packrats, so we had to clear out the fire room of all the tons of crap in there to check for spread....

by this point, the fire gear and my 30lb air tank on my back was taking its toll... since i was already weak/dehydrated from being sick, this only compound problems, until i collapsed in the garage... after being taken outside and fighting that i was fine, i was ordered by the chief to get to the hospital, so as embarrasing as it was, i got rushed to the hospital in my own companies ambulance, and stuck with an IV.... nothing serious, i was just fatigued/dehydrated/overheated.... (pulse rate of 159!)

just thought id share :P

Wow... good for you, and that sux at the same time.

Thank god you're okay.

Feb. of 2007 I called up XP and told him how I had

pleaded with my ex to take my daughter for the

night so I could go on a "quick" roadtrip in my 1964

Olds Super 88 top go look at the '59 Buick LeSabre

that I bought two months later... he came along, as

he's almost always game for a good old roadtrip to

look at a classic car, on our way back from the

three telephone pole town that the Buick lived at I

was driving on 290 when XP & I noticed a HUGE

blaze up on the hills close to the Catholic University

in Worcester (Holy Cross IIRC) we drove up to the

sceene, as far as we could get, & I gotta tell you I

developed a new respect for fire-fighting that night.

The intense, almost liquid-like heat & rapiddly

spreading flames scared the $h! out of me... from

about 50yards away my face seemed to be melting

while the flames were blinding, I was honestly

worried about the Super-88's paint bubbling up &

peeling if I had driven any closer.

So my Canada is off to you, Sir. :AH-HA_wink:

Ouch!

I've gotten dehydrated working on electrical things (You'd be suprised how much liquid you can loose in an open bucket truck in the sun.)

Glad your o.k.!

Chris

well as ive mentioned before, im a volunteer firefighter.... ive been a junior (non responding) member since i was 16, and last month i became a full member. Well last night we had a report of a house fire... the first since ive been in.... cool for me right?

not so much.... see yesterday i had been sick all day, and had been throwing up. when the call got toned out, i had just thrown up, but there was no way i was missing it. we get to the scene, and my compnay had the 3rd hoseline, meaning we werent taking the brunt of the fire. by the time we really were in there, the fire was pretty much done, but this place was a mess... real packrats, so we had to clear out the fire room of all the tons of crap in there to check for spread....

by this point, the fire gear and my 30lb air tank on my back was taking its toll... since i was already weak/dehydrated from being sick, this only compound problems, until i collapsed in the garage... after being taken outside and fighting that i was fine, i was ordered by the chief to get to the hospital, so as embarrasing as it was, i got rushed to the hospital in my own companies ambulance, and stuck with an IV.... nothing serious, i was just fatigued/dehydrated/overheated.... (pulse rate of 159!)

just thought id share :P

Meh, no big deal! (No need to feel embarassed)

My dad was a fire chief for 20 years (still is a fire marshal) and growing up in the biz I actually saw this sort of thing quite a bit.

Just look at it this way: You had the heart and determination to get out there and do a service for your community despite being sick and weak. People like you should be commended because most would not have done that.

Even now that my dad no longer fights fire, I still have it in my blood. If I see a fire somewhere, or worse, smell one I just have to scamper (I really want to run) to the car and "find it"

I just love that "America's hat" ref. 6o Canada...

btw: does that make Mexico the thong or jock strap?

Trust me going to the Hospital is no big deal. You might get ragged on a little but treat them as your family because you might be saving them day and they might be saving you. There is no greater Satisfaction than helping people out or saving a life. You my friend, your an outstanding citizen and we should all respect that. Be Safe. And Don't worry.

thanks guys.. im feeling better... and im not in it for any praise or such... im in it, because, pure and simple.... its just exciting.. even just the trainings (as obviously i dont have much fireground experience).... its probably my 2nd favorite hobby.... besides going fast :P