Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Smorgasbord, The Rant

POLITICAL POWERLESSNESS...

Aaaaahhhhhgggg! I cannot wait until the elections are over. I'm sssooo tired of the political mailings with messages directed at FAMILIES. Whenever I read "you and your family" or some resemblance thereof, I immediately send the mailing to the circular file.

The best example of this was a mailing I received earlier this week. It started out innocent enough with this sentence: "Our research shows that you, Cort XXXX, are the type of voter that candidate XXXX aims to support." I was intrigued, so I kept reading ... partially because the mailing featured a pie chart/graph and some photos. Near the end of it, though, I came across this sentence: "We know you are the type of person who wants to provide for his wife and family and enjoy all that life has to offer."

Uh, what? If you had DONE your freekin' research in the first place, you would KNOW that I do NOT have a wife...nor do I have kids of my own. Kinda makes me wonder what other research the candidate and his/her team has NOT done, or for that matter, what other facts the candidate and his/her team may ignore, not know, or not believe.... I suspect I don't want to know....

Speaking of NOT doing research accurately ... a few months ago, I received an offer for a deal on membership at a local club ... a percentage off a FAMILY membership. So, I called and asked how I could get a deal on a membership. The kind lady said, "You're not married?". "No," I replied. "Well, you MUST have a girlfriend." "No, no I don't." "Oh, so are you gay?" "NO!" Dead silence. "So, again, how can I get a deal on a membership?" Slight pause. "I guess you can't, since you don't have a family. But, that's strange ... I see our records indicate you are married." AYE! "That's not true; I've never been married. Just please take me off your mailing list." "OK, sir."

*rolls eyes*

But ... being single does have its perks ... including road trips whenever/wherever I want and nobody complaining I spend too much time with my five Monte Carlos....

Anyway, politics/politicians/campaigns are another example of how society in general is centered around couples and families. I don't think I've heard or seen or read from any candidate about how they want to help single people ... it's all been about helping single parents or families. So, I toss the mailings because, imho, when they address them to me "and my family" ... they aren't talking to me. I'd love for just one of those mailings to have a phone # for me to call...I'd ask a few questions of my own.

FWD COUPE vs RWD SEDAN / WINTER...

I'm not sure which of these is worse, in my book.

As some of you may know, I've been searching for a winter beater ... a newer car that I can use on road trips as well or an older car to use during the winter. Since I bought it in mid-2003, my 1987 Monte Carlo Luxury Sport (RWD, mind you) has been the most-reliable car I've EVER owned, EVEN in the winter. BUT ... that reliability has helped some rust start to form ... and I really do not want to put it through another winter. Thus, the winter beater search.

Problem is ... I either come across a FWD coupe or a RWD sedan, neither of which I want. I do not like FWD; and, since I have no family, I do not want a sedan. I know, I know. I should get a winter beater I do not like (in which case a FWD sedan would be perfect, eh?). BUT, I can't see me owning another car I do not like. I've been there, done that twice with 2 brand new Ch#$r%*ets, both of which were FWD (1 sedan; 1 coupe). Both of those are LONG gone, the second one having been replaced by my aforementioned '87 MC LS.

But, I'm going to have to find something soon.... Better yet, though, I should just move south. I've hated the cold weather for a while now. I don't mind some cold and snow around Christmas and New Year's ... but, other than that, give me temperatures in the 60s, 70s and 80s.

TIME AND A HALF...

Course, in order to move south, I'd have to have a job first....

Speaking of jobs ... why do we humans work so damn much anyway? I mean, I know WHY ... to get money to do things and pay bills. But, most people I know (including myself) have little (2 weeks) to no vacation time. And, heaven forbid you need SURGERY for anything ... most companies take from your vacation allotment first ... so that, when you come back, you have NO vacation time left to do anything fun or anything you want. Please. I guarantee surgery is NOT a vacation. Yes, you might get time to rest and sleep, but recovering from surgery is NOT a picnic, despite what some believe.

Then again, I guess not enough time in a day/week/month/year exists anyway. Frustratingly, I can never seem to find time to accomplish many things that I want to do....

Hmm...let's see those politicians do something about the vacation time people get...! They've been able to set a minimum wage, so why can't they set a MINIMUM VACATION AMOUNT ... say 20 days??!!

Aye.

DISAPPEARING ACT...

When I started using a friend's garage/heated barn in Plato Center IL to house my older MCs, it was a nice country drive out west of Elgin to get them out ... and I had plenty of roads to drive and avoid most traffic. But in the last few years, one cannot drive between Elgin and what will soon be former Plato Center and NOT see homes, most of which I'll never be able to afford ... and all sitting along roads that, one day, will have to be turned into 3 or 4-lane "mega roads" to handle all of the additional traffic.

On the BRIGHT side, the decline of "congestion free" roads has forced me to explore more roads west of Elgin ... and, in turn, discover some AWESOME routes to drive my MCs, about which I posted some time ago. Each time I've had my older MCs out in the last month or so, I've discovered MORE "country" roads.

But ... like what happened to places along Route 66 ... with all of the building and "progress" continuing, several local places are starting to and will disappear:

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/courier...HMAN_S1.article

*sighs*

OH...and one more thing ... I'm Cort, and I approve this post!!!

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I ain't fallin' for you all over again" ... Lee Roy Parnell ... 'What Kind Of Fool Do You Think I Am?'

This world is centered around couples. It has always been that way and it always will be. No mention is ever made about helping a single person. Its all about the kids or "I cant do something because I have to talk to my wife about it". Seems I get hardly any tax exemptions too because I am single. Got to get married and have kids to get those. So just because I dont want to have kids I have to pay? Do I have the wrong attitude here? Tell me if I do.

If it were me I would likely take the FWD coupe depending what it is. Thats the operative thing. What are the 2 choices. If its a choice between a Cavalier coupe and say a 1989 Caprice classis, I would take the Caprice Classic and just deal the the RWD.

Most of us work because we havent won the lottery or werent born into a rich family. Just a fact of life. It will always be that way. I dont mind my job too much. I get 3 weeks of Vacation nd starting NEXT October 4th it will be 4 weeks. Plus a week of paid time that if we dont want to take the days off we get paid for it at the end of the years. Pretty nice. When is the last time I took an actual vacation? I think fall of 2003 when My Mom and Dad and Oldest niece and I went to Tennessee. Otherwise I took days off here and there. Last year I took a lot of time off but that wasnt fun time. That was dealing with Dads death and the new house and dealing with nieghbors wanting stuff off the old one before it got torn down. It was nice to get a new house but the rest of it sucked. Though I dont miss cutting the big hill at the old place. Much nicer to ride a riding mower even though our new lot is pretty big. I am not religious but we have to thank the greater powers for the blessings we have.

It is building up here too Cort. Not probably like down by you but it is none the less. Still quite a bit of empty space to drive the 2 old ones. Though I take them to work pretty regularily.

This is my side of this story. My intention is not to offend anybody, just to lay out a few hard facts from a fellow single person and what we deal with in this society. Have yourselves a good night. Time to shower and sleep so I can do it all over again tommorrow.

Mark.

the thread said smorgasbord and I got hungry. I THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE ABOUT FOOD!

LOL! Well ... maybe I can rant about food next ;).

So just because I dont want to have kids I have to pay? Do I have the wrong attitude here? Tell me if I do.

Not wrong ... same attitude as me, more or less, anyway....

the FWD coupe depending what it is. Thats the operative thing. What are the 2 choices. If its a choice between a Cavalier coupe and say a 1989 Caprice classis, I would take the Caprice Classic and just deal the the RWD.

I'd take the Caprice Classic, though I'd prefer a '77-'79 model ;).

Do you know that you and the candidate have the same last name, XXXX? :smilewide:

*grins*

Yes ... which is why I was intrigued to read more ;). LOL!

I always liked the 1977-79 too in its own way though I liked the Impala just slightly more than the Caprice though I would take either one. I think its because at one time or another our family each owned one. My Grandpa owned a 1977, my Mom and Dad had a 1978 and I had a 1979 all Impalas.

Nope. Just about those of us in the single life and whar we go through. Especially when you dont quite fit into what most women want. I party after work did nothing for me but affirm that.

I always liked the 1977-79 too in its own way though I liked the Impala just slightly more than the Caprice though I would take either one. I think its because at one time or another our family each owned one. My Grandpa owned a 1977, my Mom and Dad had a 1978 and I had a 1979 all Impalas.

Dad and Mom never had a '77-'79 Caprice. Though, one year when we visited in PA and flew (instead of driving), we rented a Caprice of that vintage.

I prefer the Caprice of those 3 years ... because of the emblem ;).

I thought this was about sandwiches......... :(

That'll be my next rant ;).

Trying to picture if the emblem on those is different than the 1985. I shall have to cheack Ebay. They always have one or 2 on there. So what about sandwaiches Cort? :lol:

Trying to picture if the emblem on those is different than the 1985. I shall have to cheack Ebay.

I think they are basically the same ... at least, from what I've seen anyway....

Not really 100% sure, though.

As for sandwiches, ocnblu has a good start. Only problem is ... that's more of an awesome sandwich ... and not exactly something to rant about ... maybe rave, instead ;).

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ... & I approve this post

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I'm sick & tired of being politically correct" ... John Mellencamp ... 'Peaceful World'

Maybe somedy I shall get nother 1977-79 Impala. I have a strange liking for the interiors of these. All vinyl door panels but yet they look elegent enough. But since I already have 2 of these I guess I should think outside the box. Often thought a 1978-80 Malibu would be cool. I actually prefer the 4-door to the coupe. Maybe a wagon would be cool. My Aunt and Uncle had a 1978 Grey with the maroon interior. Remember when interiors had colors? I rode in it a lot and liked it.

Edited by 2005 EquinoxLS

Or the Navy Blue of mine. Or the almost white with the dark brown dash of the 1981 Bonneville. Though the grey is nice in the Equinox. Seems to me that black is making a comeback at Chevrolet.