Saturn Vue oil is black!

gmcbob

I just checked the engine oil in my new 2008 Saturn Vue 3.6L V6. I have just shy of 2800 miles on it and the engine oil is super dark. The oil in my old Jimmy with 136000 miles on it was never as dark as this. Do you think this is just because the engine is new and being broken in? The other thing I find odd - it seems like there's too much oil in the engine; It goes way up the dipstick past the 3 circles. (keep in mind the car has been sitting still all night).

I'm thinking about taking it over to the Boob Lube and getting it changed now. I'm taking it on a road trip to Buffalo next week and I don't really want trouble.

Opinions?

Edited by gmcbob

it's very possible that it's because of the engine being new. Oil is supposed to turn black, that means it's doing it's job picking up contaminates. It doesn't mean the oil is bad by any means, though it sounds like it's about time for an oil change anyway (I generally do extended mile changes, but I wouldn't on a brand new vehicle).

My only question is why you don't do your own oil changes? Been far too many times that oil change places have screwed things up for me to ever trust them. I don't know about the '08 Vue, but on most vehicles an oil change is cake.

it's very possible that it's because of the engine being new. Oil is supposed to turn black, that means it's doing it's job picking up contaminates. It doesn't mean the oil is bad by any means, though it sounds like it's about time for an oil change anyway (I generally do extended mile changes, but I wouldn't on a brand new vehicle).

My only question is why you don't do your own oil changes? Been far too many times that oil change places have screwed things up for me to ever trust them. I don't know about the '08 Vue, but on most vehicles an oil change is cake.

Actually, I agree with you on that one for sure. My issue this week is time though - I have a cousin in from out of town and he's helping me build a new shed (old shed destroyed during Ike) and I have to go to work tomorrow. I dunno though, I may just do it myself anyway.

I would have the oil changed at your Saturn Dealership "Cough, Retailer, Cough" before you go, that way there is a record of your concern, should something happen in the near future.

If the retailer's prices are fairly competitive, that might not be a bad idea, I suppose.

I recently bought a generator, and it was recommended that the oil be changed after the first 50 hours of use and then longer intervals afterwards. I'm assuming the idea would be the same for a new car engine too? I did look at the owners manual and the only advice under the "break in" period for the Vue was to drive at varying speeds for the first 500 miles (same with our G35 too actually), but nothing about oil changes. The engine oil being dark is one thing, but what I found odd was it seemed like there was too much oil on the dipstick (it went an inch or so up past the 3 circles).

Yea- the darkness very well may be related to the intital oil fill and whatever break-in additives Saturn may have in there. That doesn't bother me nearly as much as the level being too high. Get it changed ASAP. I also would never use a Jerky Lube or the like- too many horror stories heard.

The oil being overfull can be a problem, but if it hasn't been so far, and since you're so close to oil change time, I wouldn't worry about it. What *can* happen is if the oil is too full and the crank actually splashes in the oil in the pan, it can foam up and cause serious damage to the engine. I would guess since there hasn't been an issue so far, that it's not that high, and you're safe to just make sure it's the right level when you get the oil changed.

• 1 month later...

gmcbob, I didn't know you had an 08 Vue. Cool. Anyways, don't trust the Oil Life Monitor for any validity. To my knowledge, it won't come on till your oil is 95% contaminated. In my opinion, too late for it to be coming on. As well, I was given a recall letter that the oil life monitor is defective in the 08 Vue depending on your build date, and that it's a simple reflash of the computer to fix it. Not sure if it affected the 3.5/3.6 Vue's, but my 4-banger was affected by it.

Edited by saturnd00d

gmcbob, I didn't know you had an 08 Vue. Cool. Anyways, don't trust the Oil Life Monitor for any validity. To my knowledge, it won't come on till your oil is 95% contaminated. In my opinion, too late for it to be coming on. As well, I was given a recall letter that the oil life monitor is defective in the 08 Vue depending on your build date, and that it's a simple reflash of the computer to fix it. Not sure if it affected the 3.5/3.6 Vue's, but my 4-banger was affected by it.

Oil life monitors in general don't come on at any particular contamination level. Many are simply set to come on after a set number of miles, while others calculate based on how the car is driven, miles, etc. None (that I am aware of) have any way of sampling the oil to check for contamination levels, viscosity, etc. They also have no way of allowing for the quality of oil used to begin with, so you could use the off-brand cheapo dino oil and it would turn the light on at the same time as if you used a brand name full synthetic.

Oil life monitors in general don't come on at any particular contamination level. Many are simply set to come on after a set number of miles, while others calculate based on how the car is driven, miles, etc. None (that I am aware of) have any way of sampling the oil to check for contamination levels, viscosity, etc. They also have no way of allowing for the quality of oil used to begin with, so you could use the off-brand cheapo dino oil and it would turn the light on at the same time as if you used a brand name full synthetic.

I thought i read somewhere that BMW was trying to make a monitor like that....? idk.

I thought i read somewhere that BMW was trying to make a monitor like that....? idk.

Not sure - there could be a small number of exceptions, but they'd likely only be on high end vehicles. I mean, it's not really that hard to make a sensible monitor that simply tells you to change the oil sooner than you'd need to, just to be safe. Like changing the oil at 3k miles - it's almost impossible that the oil is "worn out" by then, but if you have a nice car, it's cheap insurance to keep the car in good shape. With a few simple calculations, manufacturers can make monitors that still "play it safe" but with less waste.