Tomorrow should tell the tale

IIRC, GM is set to give congress their plan tomorrow.

Can't say I have a good feeling about what might be in it, but we shall see.

EDIT: Has anyone else noticed that the usual GM posters have been absent from the web recently? Makes me think that word must have come down from on high that no internet posting would be allowed.

Rather ominous, huh?

That's ironic 'LS6. There's a convergence of events of an intensely personal nature tomorrow.

When I refreshed the comments page, the Topic Reading: "Tomorrow Should Tell The Tale" was sitting right there as though in confirmation.

You're a soothsayer. :scratchchin:

Don't know if this means anything or not, but I saw on CNN a graphic showing three line items supposedly in GM's plan. Two of them were: executive pay cuts and deferred payment of retirees.

I'm sure GM has a heck of a lot more than that in their plan.

That's ironic 'LS6. There's a convergence of events of an intensely personal nature tomorrow.

When I refreshed the comments page, the Topic Reading: "Tomorrow Should Tell The Tale" was sitting right there as though in confirmation.

You're a soothsayer. :scratchchin:

I really hope I'm not a soothsayer, because I don't like what I see.

Don't know if this means anything or not, but I saw on CNN a graphic showing three line items supposedly in GM's plan. Two of them were: executive pay cuts and deferred payment of retirees.

I'm sure GM has a heck of a lot more than that in their plan.

Untold 'goodies' for the hourly staff.

I.E.: The next generation of worker, beginning in theory when the likes of me retire, will earn $14 an hour, and an a la carte menu of scarce bennies from which to choose. No pension as per the 2007 National Agreement between GM and it's UAW-repped workforce. 401ks only.

To make this even more cost effective they'd have a longer length of service hurdle to get over before they could be made permanent employees. Up to 180 days instead of the current 90.

GM wants a revolving workforce of 30% temporary employees. No bennies. $12 to $14 an hour.

Things like this the UAW plans to pitch Congress. Much of it off-the-record so as not to inflame the hold-over regular hourly workers.

And of course the infamous JOBs Bank shall be an historical artifact very soon.

And of course the infamous JOBs Bank shall be an historical artifact very soon.

I've always wondered what the JOBs bank was and finally looked it up. Paying people to full wages and benefits to sit around and not work...it's almost unreal this has not been eliminated yet. Although I'm sure th UAW has a chokehold on the automakers to keep it in place.

Absolutely ridiculous.

I've always wondered what the JOBs bank was and finally looked it up. Paying people to full wages and benefits to sit around and not work...it's almost unreal this has not been eliminated yet. Although I'm sure th UAW has a chokehold on the automakers to keep it in place.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Truly nice 'work' if you could get it it. Never had the honor myself. Was conceived in theory to protect lower seniority from the cyclical ravages of the Industry. Also considered a political tool internally when things weren't quite as bad as now.

Service to the Community was one option that many chose while in the 'Bank'.

I know these f*cks personally. [see link below]

They're actually very good friends of mine. I didn't go to Linden, NJ Assembly as they did. I went to Georgia at Doraville just before these guys went to Linden

Volunteer Spotlight: General Motors Employees

General Motors Employees Offer Time to the Preserve

http://www.bhwp.org/volunteers/feature.htm

Tomorrow will also tell the tale of GM's sales numbers in November. I predict another terrible month and bigger incentives in December. Considering the economy, of the lack of any deals that are very impressive, GM probably shot itself in the foot in November.

It's Kabuki theater designed for mass consumption.

The 7 Worst Ways to Rescue Detroit

December 02, 2008 11:57 AM ET | Rick Newman

[quoting from the article] "Commence Kabuki.

With the Detroit automakers in the late stages of supplication, a predictable ritual will now take place. The CEOs of GM, Ford, and Chrysler will do as instructed: travel like common men from Detroit to Washington and present the government with new-and-improved..."

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/flowchart/2008...ue-detroit.html

Truly nice 'work' if you could get it it. Never had the honor myself. Was conceived in theory to protect lower seniority from the cyclical ravages of the Industry. Also considered a political tool internally when things weren't quite as bad as now.

Service to the Community was one option that many chose while in the 'Bank'.

I know these f*cks personally. [see link below]

They're actually very good friends of mine. I didn't go to Linden, NJ Assembly as they did. I went to Georgia at Doraville just before these guys went to Linden

Volunteer Spotlight: General Motors Employees

General Motors Employees Offer Time to the Preserve

http://www.bhwp.org/volunteers/feature.htm

I used to live in Atlanta, and I drove past the Doraville plant every day on the way to work. Has it been shuttered yet, or is it still building minivans for fleet and Canadian sale?

BTW, what part of Atlanta did you live in?

Chris

I used to live in Atlanta, and I drove past the Doraville plant every day on the way to work. Has it been shuttered yet, or is it still building minivans for fleet and Canadian sale?

BTW, what part of Atlanta did you live in?

Chris

Dunwoody, on Peachford Road, practically within the shadow of that venerable assembly plant. 2.4 miles to my parking spot on the plant property from my driveway.

Sadly (imo) their last day of production was on Friday, September 26, 2008. They were last building the Pontiac version of the van for Canada.

I miss that place, the area, the hustle and bustle.

The Atlanta Are is cool. I wonder how much loosing that plant and the Ford Taurus plant will hurt the rather strong Atlanta economy?

There are still days I wish I lived in Atlanta.

Chris

The Atlanta Are is cool. I wonder how much loosing that plant and the Ford Taurus plant will hurt the rather strong Atlanta economy?

There are still days I wish I lived in Atlanta.

Chris

Hmmm. :scratchchin:

I get an e-mail everyday from the Atlanta Journal Constitution. They're hurting pretty bad in general down there in 'the Dirty South'. The boundless expansion that was in full-effect as recently when I left just over two years ago is grinding to a standstill. Theirs is an an economy based on continuing expansion, growth, growth and more growth. There'll be more than a few seasons of fallow there as here as things recalibrate. If we're lucky.

The Atlanta Journal Constitution: http://www.ajc.com/?cxntnid=biz062708e