Plymouth

HarleyEarl

Plymouth in it's heyday had huge sales, often in the top three in America. It was sad to see this brand disappear. It was created as an economy division. The name Plymouth is often thought to derive from the landing of the Pilgrims, but what finalized the deal for the name was the very popular, at the time, 'Plymouth Bindertwine'...which most people were aware of. Plymouth went onto great success.

Here are some of my favorite Plymouths.

36plymouthp2deluxecoupetp2.jpg

41plymouthpickupiv6.jpg

49plymouth3passengercoupg6.jpg

54plymouthgq3.jpg

55plymouthbelvederesporcc7.jpg

56plymouthbelvederegalaka5.jpg

57furywhiteonlyce4.jpg

62plymouthei7.jpg

A favorite Plymouth style is this '65 Satellite. The '64 Fury and Belvedere had the same hardtop roofline, as did the '64 Dodge Polara and '65 Dodge Coronet. I'm a big fan of the '70-74 Cudas, '68-72 Road Runners and GTXes, and the '69-71 Sport Fury.

1965%20Plymouth%20Satellite%20001.jpg

Here's a sweet '71 Road Runner:

p39589_large%201971_Plymouth_Road_Runner

Here's a sweet '71 Sport Fury GT:

71Green_GT.jpg

Edited by moltar

Yea- tho I prefer the pre-fuselage MoPars, the '71 SF GT gits me. Can you make it out: there's big 'G' and 'T' letters inside the hood stripes, up near the windshield, plus the long-time red, white & blue Sport Fury dashes, here atop the fenders. These details, the 8-port grille w/ covered headlights, plus shoe it with a set of those rare cast magnesium rims and a Six Pack 440 underhood - Delicious. Near the last gasp of true Mopar spirit here.

71gtfront.jpg

mopp_0712_11_s%201969_plymouth_road_runn

the '70 GT is sweet, too (tho I like the more intricate '71 grillework) :

1970%20Plymouth%20Fury%20GT%20Hardtop-b.

Edited by balthazar

Fuselage Mopars are awesome! I prefer the 4-doors, esp. Imperials & Chryslers.

And as far as Pre-war cars go... 1935-1938 are all awesome!!! :wub:

The '71 Fury/Rd. Runner/GTX are some of the beefiest looking hardtop

Mopars ever... love 'em to death, esp. the fascias and squared off

wheel well openings, meantime the '41 Plymouth borrowed its front

bumper from the Y-Job.

I'm with O.B. on the molested Fuselage 2drs. :(

When I was student teaching, one of my students had a VERY clean 65 Sport Fury ragtop, white on blue just like the Indy pace cars that year.

Was one of my favourite Mopars.

Also had a friend who had a 64 Sport Fury...sweet car also.

Chris

The fuselage era Plymouths were my favorite, too. Unfortunatley, in badge engineering run amok, Plymouth got the busy end of the stick with respect to the interiors: their dashes were FUGLY and cheap looking, compared to what Chev and Ford were doing.

Sales-wise, the market seemed to agree, because Plymouth's full-sized offerings peaked in '65 or so, then plummeted, while the fuselage Chryslers sold very sell for the first couple years.

I think Dodge and Plymouth scared off a lot of potential customers with their wierd looking designs in the early '60s (not to mention the disappearance of true full sized cars in '62).

We had a '71 Duster in the family, but like Honda of today it was an engine wrapped around a mediocre body. They had horrible rust and paint problems. Good looking cars, though, IMO.

granfurysp6.jpg

furygranqo1.jpg

My old gym teacher Alex Barron had one of these when I was in high school.

It was a nice looking car, dark green, two door, black vynal top, hyde-away headlights, etc.

I always enjoyed seeing that car come into the parking lot at school.

Sixty-Six

That's a very good photo of that car. That design is truely iconic of the era. If a car could look happy, it would be the '57 Plymouth. I don't care if they're dated to some, but I luv fins!!!! When you really look at it, they are no different than the profiles of todays cars with spoilers and the higher rear ends with lower fronts, just a different interpretation. It still reads as wedge shaped.

Interesting sidenote. I read that the Plymouth Fury orginally came only in a rich white, with gold accents. The Fury used in the movie 'Christine' was painted red...not a factory color for that car.

plymouth57furywhitehg3.jpg

Edited by HarleyEarl

First car I ever rode in was a Plymouth; that's what my folks drove when I was born.

For many years, I drove a '66 Belvedere II sedan with a "poly" 318 & Torqueflite under the hood. For some reason, that car always seemed quicker than it should. The thing had a lot of scat for being powered by such a "small" engine.

I always thought that the '65 Satellite was an excellent car. You could still get the 365 HP, 426 "wedge" V8 that year. In '66, the top "regular" engine was the Super Commando 383, though the 426 Hemi was an option (at a stratospheric price, of course). The Super Commando 440 became an option in '67. I'd love to have a '67 GTX with that mill.

For some dumb reason, I always liked the '68 full-sized Plymouth much better than the '69--but when it came to the Chryslers, I prefered the fuselage-styled 1969-'71 models to the fugly '67 & '68s.

The 1970-'71 C-body Plymouths were most excellent however.