Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
01zr2rockman

2010 srx in the snow

51 posts in this topic

The shape is way too similar to the Vue.

Cadillac gets a front drive, V6 Vue look-a-like, BMW gets a 500 hp X5 M. The SRX may be above average for class, but it has no status to it, no great appeal or selling point that will make people aspire to own one. There was a time when people dreamed of owning a Cadillac, then for years Cadillac was a punchline and joked about, they have some credibility now, but still aren't a brand people aspire to, like BMW or Mercedes.

Cadillac gets a front drive, V6 Vue look-a-like, BMW gets a 500 hp X5 M. The SRX may be above average for class, but it has no status to it, no great appeal or selling point that will make people aspire to own one. There was a time when people dreamed of owning a Cadillac, then for years Cadillac was a punchline and joked about, they have some credibility now, but still aren't a brand people aspire to, like BMW or Mercedes.

I don't think they are aiming at BMW and MB with this product...they are aiming at the at the FWD/AWD, V6 Lexus RX and Acura MDX, which are big sellers at the low end of the luxury CUV/SUV market, and also the Lincoln MKX..it's only domestic competitor.

Edited by moltar

I know they are aiming low, that is the problem. Cadillac is becoming more like Lincoln. SRX is like the MKX and Escalade like the Navigator.

I know they are aiming low, that is the problem. Cadillac is becoming more like Lincoln. SRX is like the MKX and Escalade like the Navigator.

Well, Lincoln has always been their main competitor...aiming at the import players is a recent thing, with the CTS, etc.

The video is unimpressive, and the new dumbed down SrX can not

even hold a candle to the Sigma based vehicle is replaces. This

new tall, frumpy, poorly proportioned booger-shaped thing is not

fit t wear the Cadillac badge.

For the record: there's NOTHING wrong with the Escalade, many

billionaires own them for their personal transportation vestibules,

both in stretched and stock variants.

Edited by Sixty8panther

I see this, and I keep thinking BRX.

The SRX name just doesn't fit.

Since when does your local real estate lady care about a 500 hp X5 M? Cadillac tried it once your way. Came back and gave it a world class interior.... they still couldn't sell them.

RX is the target. Enclave gets the people who want larger, SRX gets the people who want smaller and status. In the end it's about sales. Do you think that the X5 M will sell better than the old SRX?

They're aiming at the RX. It was there first and sells the most.

They're aiming at the RX. It was there first and sells the most.

Yes, the low end/volume end of the premium market. They are aiming at RX, MDX, MKX.

The higher end, serious luxury SUVs (X5, ML, GL, :LR3, Range Rover Sport, etc) are all still RWD/AWD with V8 available. Sadly, Cadillac isn't going to compete in that market. Even Infiniti is higher end with the FX.

I thought FWD entry-lux was going to be Buick's domain and that Cadillac was going to try and compete in the big leagues, I guess not.

Edited by moltar

Since when does your local real estate lady care about a 500 hp X5 M? Cadillac tried it once your way. Came back and gave it a world class interior.... they still couldn't sell them.

RX is the target. Enclave gets the people who want larger, SRX gets the people who want smaller and status. In the end it's about sales. Do you think that the X5 M will sell better than the old SRX?

Giving the car a worse interior and poorer driving dynamics won't increase sales. SRX was plagued by looking like a station wagon. The new SRX will sell better because they will price it $10,000 less, not because it is a good vehicle. Cadillac can get loads of volume if they sell cheap cars, but they'll never get their image to rival Mercedes by doing that.

The X5 is outselling the current SRX 2 to 1, and it isn't any better of a vehicle, just better look and better brand image. The X5 M just shows that BMW can put performance into every product. Cadillac really only puts performance into the CTS-V, the XLR-V is quick, but it is slower than a Vette for double the price.

I thought FWD entry-lux was going to be Buick's domain and that Cadillac was going to try and compete in the big leagues, I guess not.

Cadillac is either wimping out, or GM is too poor, or both. Cadillac will be the $35-50k brand, Buick will be $25-40k. Neither of which are challenging those in the big leagues.

Giving the car a worse interior and poorer driving dynamics won't increase sales. SRX was plagued by looking like a station wagon. The new SRX will sell better because they will price it $10,000 less, not because it is a good vehicle. Cadillac can get loads of volume if they sell cheap cars, but they'll never get their image to rival Mercedes by doing that.

The X5 is outselling the current SRX 2 to 1, and it isn't any better of a vehicle, just better look and better brand image. The X5 M just shows that BMW can put performance into every product. Cadillac really only puts performance into the CTS-V, the XLR-V is quick, but it is slower than a Vette for double the price.

The new SRX will sell better because women will like it more. Woman <generalizing> want FWD if not AWD. They LOVE the RX and it's NEVER been a better vehicle than even the old SRX.

I'm sure that Cadillac could make a Sigma SRX-V that would run with or beat the X5-M, I have no doubt in my mind of it. However, GM doesn't need to be throwing development dollars at something that will sell 12,000 a year if they're lucky.

Cadillac is either wimping out, or GM is too poor, or both. Cadillac will be the $35-50k brand, Buick will be $25-40k. Neither of which are challenging those in the big leagues.

GM is struggling just to keep the lights on. If they can take a swipe at Lexus with this new SRX and be successful at it, then let them. They tried it once our way with the SRX and it failed. Now let them go for something that will sell well.

The new SRX will sell better because women will like it more. Woman <generalizing> want FWD if not AWD. They LOVE the RX and it's NEVER been a better vehicle than even the old SRX.

I'm sure that Cadillac could make a Sigma SRX-V that would run with or beat the X5-M, I have no doubt in my mind of it. However, GM doesn't need to be throwing development dollars at something that will sell 12,000 a year if they're lucky.

They love the RX mainly because of the badge on the front, and that Lexus has been #1 most reliable car for 14 years or so. Consumers feel confident that the thing will never break. Size also helps, the original RX was nearly a foot shorter than the current SRX, and small stuff is easy to drive. The SRX was too big, just like the STS was too big. If they built it to RX size on Sigma it would be better. If they go this route, they might as well put the next generation CTS on Epsilon II.

I'd like to see Cadillac's development dollars go into an S-class fighter, but I doubt GM will spend $1.5 billion on a car that will sell 25,000 a year, when they spent $500 million on the Malibu, expecting to sell 10 times as many. GM's reputation is shot, Cadillac's isn't so great either, if they really want to be profitable they have to change that so they sell cars at sticker, rather than at $10,000 off red tag plus cash back fire sales. Only way to change perception is with a product, their lame "that's made by GM, are you surprised?" ads won't do it.

Edited by smk4565

This SRX, while not our cup of tea, will still sell much better than the old SRX. As such, it will likely also be profitable which should be GM's number 1 concern right now.

This SRX, while not our cup of tea, will still sell much better than the old SRX. As such, it will likely also be profitable which should be GM's number 1 concern right now.

Short term sales bump, but does nothing for them in the long haul. The Cimarron added sales and was profitable too and damaged the brand for 25 year. The SRX isn't nearly as bad and won't damage Cadillac, but at the same time it won't improve their image at all. The STS and DTS are dragging Cadillac's image down, Escalade has a positive image with some demographics and negative with others. Only the CTS is working to improve their reputation. Luxury brands need an image and have to represent something. Lexus represents reliability, BMW driving machine, Mercedes engineering, Cadillac stands for nothing, no focus.

Cadillac stands for nothing, no focus.

Cadillac stands for someone ranting every single post and chiding every single day with tremendous focus.

Sorry folks, had to get that out of the system.

I never got why people dislike the STS so much, it has always been reviewed well.

I never got why people dislike the STS so much, it has always been reviewed well.

It was supposed to be the follow-up to the 1st gen CTS but it failed in being too close to the CTS size-wise. It really didn't add much to the Cadillac lineup...

If Sigma was flexible enough it should have been made closer to the size of the Chinese-market SLS. That way, Cadillac would have had their 5-Series and 7-Series fighters blueprinted in the 1st Gen CTS and the 1st Gen RWD STS. It would have been a matter of adding the content and moving them up in price with the 2nd Gen cars, and finally adding the true 3-Series fighter (what we now know will be riding on the Alpha platform).

Edited by ZL-1

Short term sales bump, but does nothing for them in the long haul. The Cimarron added sales and was profitable too and damaged the brand for 25 year. The SRX isn't nearly as bad and won't damage Cadillac, but at the same time it won't improve their image at all. The STS and DTS are dragging Cadillac's image down, Escalade has a positive image with some demographics and negative with others. Only the CTS is working to improve their reputation. Luxury brands need an image and have to represent something. Lexus represents reliability, BMW driving machine, Mercedes engineering, Cadillac stands for nothing, no focus.

It's a long term offering for RX drivers. Get your head out of your ass. The SRX may not appeal to you personally, but it's no Cimarron.

It's a long term offering for RX drivers. Get your head out of your ass. The SRX may not appeal to you personally, but it's no Cimarron.

Yes, it may do well in the entry-lux FWD/AWD CUV market against the MDX, MKX and RX, but it is the weak sauce compared to the real luxury SUVs--- X5, ML, and LR3.

Real luxury with RWD/AWD w/ V8 trumps FWD/AWD V6 vanilla, IMHO. (FWD is fine for the mass market, but I can't take it seriously on a luxury vehicle).

Edited by moltar

Yes, it may do well in the entry-lux FWD/AWD CUV market against the MDX, MKX and RX, but it is the weak sauce compared to the real luxury SUVs--- X5, ML, and LR3.

Real luxury with RWD/AWD w/ V8 trumps FWD/AWD V6 vanilla, IMHO. (FWD is fine for the mass market, but I can't take it seriously on a luxury vehicle).

The RX does just fine thanks.

GM/Cadillac needs to concentrate on getting the most bang for their development dollar right now. This new SRX achieves that.

I wonder if there would as much venom here if the name were BRX instead of SRX.

The RX does just fine thanks.

GM/Cadillac needs to concentrate on getting the most bang for their development dollar right now. This new SRX achieves that.

I wonder if there would as much venom here if the name were BRX instead of SRX.

Probably, as it's still replacing the RWD crossover with a FWD crossover, based on Theta and Epsilon...two platforms that aren't premium, and neither currently award winning.

Plus the proportions from t he side leave a lot to be desired.

That being said it should do fine so long as it's priced right and handles well. Plus it looks better in the video than GM's photos.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0