2010 srx in the snow

01zr2rockman

The shape is way too similar to the Vue.

Cadillac gets a front drive, V6 Vue look-a-like, BMW gets a 500 hp X5 M. The SRX may be above average for class, but it has no status to it, no great appeal or selling point that will make people aspire to own one. There was a time when people dreamed of owning a Cadillac, then for years Cadillac was a punchline and joked about, they have some credibility now, but still aren't a brand people aspire to, like BMW or Mercedes.

Cadillac gets a front drive, V6 Vue look-a-like, BMW gets a 500 hp X5 M. The SRX may be above average for class, but it has no status to it, no great appeal or selling point that will make people aspire to own one. There was a time when people dreamed of owning a Cadillac, then for years Cadillac was a punchline and joked about, they have some credibility now, but still aren't a brand people aspire to, like BMW or Mercedes.

I don't think they are aiming at BMW and MB with this product...they are aiming at the at the FWD/AWD, V6 Lexus RX and Acura MDX, which are big sellers at the low end of the luxury CUV/SUV market, and also the Lincoln MKX..it's only domestic competitor.

Edited by moltar

I know they are aiming low, that is the problem. Cadillac is becoming more like Lincoln. SRX is like the MKX and Escalade like the Navigator.

Well, Lincoln has always been their main competitor...aiming at the import players is a recent thing, with the CTS, etc.

The video is unimpressive, and the new dumbed down SrX can not

even hold a candle to the Sigma based vehicle is replaces. This

new tall, frumpy, poorly proportioned booger-shaped thing is not

fit t wear the Cadillac badge.

For the record: there's NOTHING wrong with the Escalade, many

billionaires own them for their personal transportation vestibules,

both in stretched and stock variants.

Edited by Sixty8panther

Since when does your local real estate lady care about a 500 hp X5 M? Cadillac tried it once your way. Came back and gave it a world class interior.... they still couldn't sell them.

RX is the target. Enclave gets the people who want larger, SRX gets the people who want smaller and status. In the end it's about sales. Do you think that the X5 M will sell better than the old SRX?

They're aiming at the RX. It was there first and sells the most.

Yes, the low end/volume end of the premium market. They are aiming at RX, MDX, MKX.

The higher end, serious luxury SUVs (X5, ML, GL, :LR3, Range Rover Sport, etc) are all still RWD/AWD with V8 available. Sadly, Cadillac isn't going to compete in that market. Even Infiniti is higher end with the FX.

I thought FWD entry-lux was going to be Buick's domain and that Cadillac was going to try and compete in the big leagues, I guess not.

Edited by moltar

Since when does your local real estate lady care about a 500 hp X5 M? Cadillac tried it once your way. Came back and gave it a world class interior.... they still couldn't sell them.

RX is the target. Enclave gets the people who want larger, SRX gets the people who want smaller and status. In the end it's about sales. Do you think that the X5 M will sell better than the old SRX?

Giving the car a worse interior and poorer driving dynamics won't increase sales. SRX was plagued by looking like a station wagon. The new SRX will sell better because they will price it $10,000 less, not because it is a good vehicle. Cadillac can get loads of volume if they sell cheap cars, but they'll never get their image to rival Mercedes by doing that.

The X5 is outselling the current SRX 2 to 1, and it isn't any better of a vehicle, just better look and better brand image. The X5 M just shows that BMW can put performance into every product. Cadillac really only puts performance into the CTS-V, the XLR-V is quick, but it is slower than a Vette for double the price.

I thought FWD entry-lux was going to be Buick's domain and that Cadillac was going to try and compete in the big leagues, I guess not.

Cadillac is either wimping out, or GM is too poor, or both. Cadillac will be the $35-50k brand, Buick will be $25-40k. Neither of which are challenging those in the big leagues.

Giving the car a worse interior and poorer driving dynamics won't increase sales. SRX was plagued by looking like a station wagon. The new SRX will sell better because they will price it $10,000 less, not because it is a good vehicle. Cadillac can get loads of volume if they sell cheap cars, but they'll never get their image to rival Mercedes by doing that.

The X5 is outselling the current SRX 2 to 1, and it isn't any better of a vehicle, just better look and better brand image. The X5 M just shows that BMW can put performance into every product. Cadillac really only puts performance into the CTS-V, the XLR-V is quick, but it is slower than a Vette for double the price.

The new SRX will sell better because women will like it more. Woman <generalizing> want FWD if not AWD. They LOVE the RX and it's NEVER been a better vehicle than even the old SRX.

I'm sure that Cadillac could make a Sigma SRX-V that would run with or beat the X5-M, I have no doubt in my mind of it. However, GM doesn't need to be throwing development dollars at something that will sell 12,000 a year if they're lucky.

Cadillac is either wimping out, or GM is too poor, or both. Cadillac will be the $35-50k brand, Buick will be $25-40k. Neither of which are challenging those in the big leagues.

GM is struggling just to keep the lights on. If they can take a swipe at Lexus with this new SRX and be successful at it, then let them. They tried it once our way with the SRX and it failed. Now let them go for something that will sell well.

The new SRX will sell better because women will like it more. Woman <generalizing> want FWD if not AWD. They LOVE the RX and it's NEVER been a better vehicle than even the old SRX.

I'm sure that Cadillac could make a Sigma SRX-V that would run with or beat the X5-M, I have no doubt in my mind of it. However, GM doesn't need to be throwing development dollars at something that will sell 12,000 a year if they're lucky.

They love the RX mainly because of the badge on the front, and that Lexus has been #1 most reliable car for 14 years or so. Consumers feel confident that the thing will never break. Size also helps, the original RX was nearly a foot shorter than the current SRX, and small stuff is easy to drive. The SRX was too big, just like the STS was too big. If they built it to RX size on Sigma it would be better. If they go this route, they might as well put the next generation CTS on Epsilon II.

I'd like to see Cadillac's development dollars go into an S-class fighter, but I doubt GM will spend $1.5 billion on a car that will sell 25,000 a year, when they spent $500 million on the Malibu, expecting to sell 10 times as many. GM's reputation is shot, Cadillac's isn't so great either, if they really want to be profitable they have to change that so they sell cars at sticker, rather than at $10,000 off red tag plus cash back fire sales. Only way to change perception is with a product, their lame "that's made by GM, are you surprised?" ads won't do it.

Edited by smk4565

This SRX, while not our cup of tea, will still sell much better than the old SRX. As such, it will likely also be profitable which should be GM's number 1 concern right now.

Short term sales bump, but does nothing for them in the long haul. The Cimarron added sales and was profitable too and damaged the brand for 25 year. The SRX isn't nearly as bad and won't damage Cadillac, but at the same time it won't improve their image at all. The STS and DTS are dragging Cadillac's image down, Escalade has a positive image with some demographics and negative with others. Only the CTS is working to improve their reputation. Luxury brands need an image and have to represent something. Lexus represents reliability, BMW driving machine, Mercedes engineering, Cadillac stands for nothing, no focus.

I never got why people dislike the STS so much, it has always been reviewed well.

It was supposed to be the follow-up to the 1st gen CTS but it failed in being too close to the CTS size-wise. It really didn't add much to the Cadillac lineup...

If Sigma was flexible enough it should have been made closer to the size of the Chinese-market SLS. That way, Cadillac would have had their 5-Series and 7-Series fighters blueprinted in the 1st Gen CTS and the 1st Gen RWD STS. It would have been a matter of adding the content and moving them up in price with the 2nd Gen cars, and finally adding the true 3-Series fighter (what we now know will be riding on the Alpha platform).

Edited by ZL-1

Short term sales bump, but does nothing for them in the long haul. The Cimarron added sales and was profitable too and damaged the brand for 25 year. The SRX isn't nearly as bad and won't damage Cadillac, but at the same time it won't improve their image at all. The STS and DTS are dragging Cadillac's image down, Escalade has a positive image with some demographics and negative with others. Only the CTS is working to improve their reputation. Luxury brands need an image and have to represent something. Lexus represents reliability, BMW driving machine, Mercedes engineering, Cadillac stands for nothing, no focus.

It's a long term offering for RX drivers. Get your head out of your ass. The SRX may not appeal to you personally, but it's no Cimarron.

It's a long term offering for RX drivers. Get your head out of your ass. The SRX may not appeal to you personally, but it's no Cimarron.

Yes, it may do well in the entry-lux FWD/AWD CUV market against the MDX, MKX and RX, but it is the weak sauce compared to the real luxury SUVs--- X5, ML, and LR3.

Real luxury with RWD/AWD w/ V8 trumps FWD/AWD V6 vanilla, IMHO. (FWD is fine for the mass market, but I can't take it seriously on a luxury vehicle).

Edited by moltar

Yes, it may do well in the entry-lux FWD/AWD CUV market against the MDX, MKX and RX, but it is the weak sauce compared to the real luxury SUVs--- X5, ML, and LR3.

Real luxury with RWD/AWD w/ V8 trumps FWD/AWD V6 vanilla, IMHO. (FWD is fine for the mass market, but I can't take it seriously on a luxury vehicle).

The RX does just fine thanks.

GM/Cadillac needs to concentrate on getting the most bang for their development dollar right now. This new SRX achieves that.

I wonder if there would as much venom here if the name were BRX instead of SRX.

The RX does just fine thanks.

GM/Cadillac needs to concentrate on getting the most bang for their development dollar right now. This new SRX achieves that.

I wonder if there would as much venom here if the name were BRX instead of SRX.

Probably, as it's still replacing the RWD crossover with a FWD crossover, based on Theta and Epsilon...two platforms that aren't premium, and neither currently award winning.

Plus the proportions from t he side leave a lot to be desired.

That being said it should do fine so long as it's priced right and handles well. Plus it looks better in the video than GM's photos.

Probably, as it's still replacing the RWD crossover with a FWD crossover, based on Theta and Epsilon...two platforms that aren't premium, and neither currently award winning.

Plus the proportions from t he side leave a lot to be desired.

That being said it should do fine so long as it's priced right and handles well. Plus it looks better in the video than GM's photos.

Well, the previous award winning one didn't sell.... so I don't blame GM for giving up on that formula.

Well, the previous award winning one didn't sell.... so I don't blame GM for giving up on that formula.

I could be wrong but wasn't some of the reasoning for it not selling was the early models had retarded option package where you had to get the V8 to get the sunroof for example? Plus styling wise, it looks like a wagon, and we hate wagons for some stupid reason. Oh and the pre-refreshed model had the same not-so-great interior the original CTS had.

I could be wrong but wasn't some of the reasoning for it not selling was the early models had retarded option package where you had to get the V8 to get the sunroof for example? Plus styling wise, it looks like a wagon, and we hate wagons for some stupid reason. Oh and the pre-refreshed model had the same not-so-great interior the original CTS had.

I had the original CTS and there isn't anything wrong with the interior as far as materials.

I never got the "it looks like a wagon" thing. It didn't look like a wagon any more than a CRV or RX does.

This thing won't outsell the RX350 because it doesn't have the Lexus reputation. Since they aren't offering any premium chassis or engines or anything, and GM has a dozen SUVs already for similar price, I am guessing the SRX will need cash back and incentives to move product. Sales volume doesn't equal profit, this is another GM lackluster product that ages fast and fades. Just as the GMT360s did.

The Lexus ES350 outsells the CTS, maybe they should make the CTS front drive also and soften the suspension.

I had the original CTS and there isn't anything wrong with the interior as far as materials.

I never got the "it looks like a wagon" thing. It didn't look like a wagon any more than a CRV or RX does.

Those materials were bad, even Lutz says they screwed up and made an interior that didn't look expensive, even though it cost a good bit for the materials.

It looked like a wagon because it was 195 inches long, had a big C pillar and was somewhat low and narrow, with a car looking front end.

This thing won't outsell the RX350 because it doesn't have the Lexus reputation. Since they aren't offering any premium chassis or engines or anything, and GM has a dozen SUVs already for similar price, I am guessing the SRX will need cash back and incentives to move product. Sales volume doesn't equal profit, this is another GM lackluster product that ages fast and fades. Just as the GMT360s did.

The Lexus ES350 outsells the CTS, maybe they should make the CTS front drive also and soften the suspension.

GM has the new Lacrosse to address the ES350.

Even if the SRX sells only three quarters of the RX, it'll do better than everything else in the market.

Those materials were bad, even Lutz says they screwed up and made an interior that didn't look expensive, even though it cost a good bit for the materials.

It looked like a wagon because it was 195 inches long, had a big C pillar and was somewhat low and narrow, with a car looking front end.

I didn't make a statement on the "looks". There was nothing wrong with the materials from a quality standpoint. They don't photograph well. That was about it.

Again, it didn't look any more wagon than the competition.

>>"This thing won't outsell the RX350 because it doesn't have the Lexus reputation. Since they aren't offering any premium chassis or engines or anything, "<<

None of the housewives that buy the rx have any idea whatsoever which wheels are driving it, what level the chassis may or may not be, what engine is underhood, "or anything". It's a gussied up toyota- currently the volume whore in the market- it does not sell based on anything other than sentiment towards lexus- whatever that may mean in general.

Edited by balthazar

>>"This thing won't outsell the RX350 because it doesn't have the Lexus reputation. Since they aren't offering any premium chassis or engines or anything, "<<

None of the housewives that buy the rx have any idea whatsoever which wheels are driving it, what level the chassis may or may not be, what engine is underhood, "or anything". It's a gussied up toyota- currently the volume whore in the market- it does not sell based on anything other than sentiment towards lexus- whatever that may mean in general.

That's why I'd rather GM let Buick do the entry-lux FWD, transverse V6 CUVs to compete with Acura and Lexus and focus Cadillac on competing with real luxury SUVs---the X5 and ML which are RWD/AWD w/ V8 options...

Not all luxury SUV buyers are women...I like them, but I prefer legitimate luxury--RWD/AWD which BMW and M-B stick with..by making FWD generics, Cadillac is clearly stating they aren't big league.

Edited by moltar

The 'lux' factor has zero to do with which wheels are driving.

Maybe to the masses, but to me nothing about FWD implies luxury....FWD w/ transverse V6 is strictly mass market. All the good stuff is RWD (BMW, Mercedes, higher end Lexuses, etc). FWD w/ transverse V6 is lowest common denominator, mass market average.

Edited by moltar

For driving dynamics, sure, but not necc for luxury.

Still, RWD does not connotate 'luxury' for me, but as you know, my grounding is in vintage-era vehicles, which were all RWD. I could see how you might equate it with that today, by association. But I still feel you are crossing up 2 exclusive criteria WRT 'lux' & drive wheels.

In other words, no reason to discount the 'lux' factor of this FWD/AWD SRX before it's finalized, just because it's not RWD. Interior, materials, ergonomics, features, styling could be head & shoulders above -say- the X3/X5 siblings.

For driving dynamics, sure, but not necc for luxury.

Still, RWD does not connotate 'luxury' for me, but as you know, my grounding is in vintage-era vehicles, which were all RWD. I could see how you might equate it with that today, by association. But I still feel you are crossing up 2 exclusive criteria WRT 'lux' & drive wheels.

In other words, no reason to discount the 'lux' factor of this FWD/AWD SRX before it's finalized, just because it's not RWD. Interior, materials, ergonomics, features, styling could be head & shoulders above -say- the X3/X5 siblings.

I view RWD as part of the total package...all the great luxury cars (and SUVs) have traditionally been and continue to be RWD. FWD is for the mass market and has no place in vehicles that are $50k and more, IMHO. Great driving dynamics are a critical part of a luxury car or luxury SUV, IMHO, which is why I like BMWs, Mercs, Range Rovers, etc. They don't compromise with FWD mediocrity in their luxury cars and SUVs.

FWD fundamentally connotes mass market. RWD is a luxury today.

The fact that the SRX is going to be built on a mass market patform shared with such FWD models as the '10 Equinox, etc doesn't bode well for how much of a real luxury vehicle it will be. And the pics I've seen so far have poor FWD proportions--i.e. the short front wheel-to-front door distance, etc.

I'm just disapointed to see Cadillac going with a lowest common denominator approach.

I suppose I am a RWD elitist, so be it. :)

Edited by moltar

I agree that Buick should do a front drive crossover based on the Equniox. They don't need the Saab version, or the brand. If Cadillac starts making low $30s Chevy based vehicles, then GM doesn't really need Buick. They can just have Chevy-Cadillac and get rid of everything else. I'd rather see Buick as a step above the LTZ Chevys, maybe not quite as nice as Lincoln or Acura, but they could price lower than those brands. Cadillac should focus on $40k and up rear drive. Cadillac can't talk about how they are competing with BMW and Mercedes if they have front drivers on Chevy platforms in the mix.

Getting volume isn't the key, what Cadillac has to do is make people want to pay $5000 extra to have the wreath and crest on their hood. Mercedes can get $60,000 for a V6 sedan because the 3-point start carries that much weight, and they got there by years of engineering and reputation building.

I'm just disapointed to see Cadillac going with a lowest common denominator approach.

To steal from Satty... or Reg... or whoever said it. "Yes, it's a shame that Cadillac is pandering to the people with money who buy these vehicles"

Getting volume isn't the key, what Cadillac has to do is make people want to pay $5000 extra to have the wreath and crest on their hood. Mercedes can get $60,000 for a V6 sedan because the 3-point start carries that much weight, and they got there by years of engineering and reputation building.

You mean it isn't the cashmere headliner, power rear sunshade, and power trunk pull down? Wow!

This thing won't outsell the RX350 because it doesn't have the Lexus reputation.

Well, they're making headway at least:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07186/799174-97.stm

Cadillac sits atop survey for luxury brand satisfaction

Thursday, July 05, 2007

By Don Hammonds, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Cadillac, once known as "The Standard of the World," may want to dust off that old title.

When it comes to customer service, a Business Week survey put the company third in a group of 25 "luxury or specialty" brands or companies, including those not in an automotive-related business. When it comes to cars, Cadillac outranked stalwarts such as Lexus and Porsche.

Business Week supplemented 2006 data from J.D.Power & Associates with a survey of about 3,000 Business Week readers who were asked to nominate three companies that offered the best customer service.

In the end, Cadillac was outranked by only insurance company USAA and the Four Seasons hotel chain, beating firms such as Nordstrom, Starbucks, Ritz-Carlton and Southwest Airlines.

"The fact is that most people in America wouldn't believe that an American car company would place that high. But these are people whose perceptions of our quality are based on 10, 20, 30 years ago, when frankly we weren't doing that great a job," Cadillac spokesman Kevin Smith said.

Moreover, the Business Week study isn't the only feather in Cadillac's hat. In a survey done by the Luxury Institute, wealthy customers rated Cadillac, Lexus and Acura as the three luxury auto brands that delivered the best customer experience in 2007, with Cadillac topping the list.

"It's significant to see American icon Cadillac rise solidly to achieve the No. 1 rating with highly discerning wealthy owners in our impartial surveys," said Milton Pedraza, CEO of the Luxury Institute. He said the brands that were rated in the survey included Acura, Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Infiniti, Jaguar, Lexus, Lincoln, Mercedes and Volvo.

What's Cadillac doing right?

Giving dealers lots of authority to get things done, and not being hidebound and rigid when it comes to pleasing customers, for one thing.

"What Business Week found were a lot of good comments from dealers talking about how they now have what they need the most: lots of latitude to do whatever it takes to please customers no matter what," said Dave Caldwell, Cadillac communications manager. That even includes the ability to honor a warranty that has expired.

"An important part of the luxury component is the experience part of it, it's not just about the business. The reason that brands like Ritz Carlton or Nordstrom did well on the survey is because those brands pay attention not just to the tangible elements, but to the intangibles, and so does Cadillac," Mr. Caldwell said.

EDIT - and here's another article showing Caddy is a more 'aspirational' marque than Lexus:

http://www.motorauthority.com/cadillac-top...ion-survey.html

Cadillac tops latest brand satisfaction survey

Posted Thu May 29 2008 11:24 PM by Nelson Ireson

General Motors' premium Cadillac brand has made no bones about its aspirations to become one of the top brands in the luxury sector, and a new brand satisfaction survey is the latest in a list of awards confirming it's headed in the right direction. Capturing the ranking of top brand in the U.S. market, the CTS and DTS also won individual awards for their segments.

Beating out the likes of Mercedes, Lexus and BMW is no small feat, especially since two of those three also had class winners in the survey. The Cadillac CTS took home the award for top 'Aspirational luxury car', while the DTS got the nod for the best large luxury car. Mercedes-Benz's S-Class won the premium luxury award, while Lexus nabbed the top luxury mid-size spot.

Cadillac's top brand ranking lead the charge for GM, which took 11 of the 28 available top spots, thanks largely to its success in the SUV and light truck categories. Toyota trailed in second with 9 top picks, while Ford, VW, Honda and Hyundai picked up the rest. Another notable from GM includes the Saturn Sky, which took the top sports car award.

The rankings were released by AutoPacific, which performs the survey each year based on input from owners of the cars and trucks that fit within its 28 categories.

-RBB

Edited by RBB

I personally can't wait for the new sub CTS rear drive Cadillac. That will be the one I'm most interested in!

• 2 weeks later...
I never got why people dislike the STS so much, it has always been reviewed well.

Lutz really blew it with the STS.

Think about it this way......someone leaning towards a CTS will not like an STS because it's not "edgy" enough, and doesn't have anywhere near as nice of an interior.

On the other hand, people looking for a full-size Caddy with room and comfort tend to gravitate towards the DTS.....because it's the quintessential Caddy float-mobile sedan.....and STS isn't.

STS is simply in a big-time vacuum.....sandwiched by the larger, more traditional DTS and the smaller, sportier, more dynamic CTS.

(Just based upon my interaction with Caddy customers over the last 7 months or so.....)

GM has the new Lacrosse to address the ES350.

You are dreaming if you think current Lexus buyers are going to generally consider shopping a Buick showroom to replace their ES350s.....

The ES350 is one of the #1 import trade-ins we get on CTS.

Cadillac is here to address Lexus.....not Buick....at least that's the reality of the situation.....not the armchair-quaterback viewpoint....

You are dreaming if you think current Lexus buyers are going to generally consider shopping a Buick showroom to replace their ES350s.....

The ES350 is one of the #1 import trade-ins we get on CTS.

Cadillac is here to address Lexus.....not Buick....at least that's the reality of the situation.....not the armchair-quaterback viewpoint....

I think that is more due to the fact that Buick hasn't had anything to really offer the ES buyer since....welll ever.

If the new Malibu can run with the Camry easily, then the new Lacrosse should run with the ES just as well having similar upgrades.

>>"STS is simply in a big-time vacuum....."<<

I truely see a lot of them here in central NJ, to the point I am wondering if there are notable geographic volume differences....

They're all over Western PA.

But then again, I think every single Envoy XUV was sold in the Pittsburgh region.... because I see more than my fair share of those.