Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

B.S.ing with folks in the automotive world

Which of these people in the automotive arena do you B.S with?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these people in the automotive arena do you B.S with?

• Auto sales people
    • Auto service advisors
    • Auto parts people
    • Sales people and service advisors
    • Sales people and parts people
    • Service advisors and parts people
    • Neither
    • Other - explain

I took the LaCrosse in for an oil change at the dealership on Saturday...based on time, not miles.

I always seem to wind up talking to service advisors. For one thing, I seem to "file away" their comments and opinions on cars, maintenance, reputations, etc. This weekend, at the Pontiac-Buick-GMC dealership, I saw a used 2007 MC within viewing distance as he was writing up my LOF work ticket and I told him the decision process I went through in deciding on th Buick over the Chevy. He told me that it was a good choice, but that their experience with VVT has been virtually problem-free, but that the 3800s almost NEVER come back for anything.

I then went into the showroom with a cup of their cheap coffee in hand. I talked to a salesman about Buicks. He said a bunch of things that resonated with me or that made sense. He said:

1) the Enclave gets the most inquiries (I could see that)

2) the Lucerne is next and that he feels the name recognition has hurt them -- he almost wished the Park Avenue name had stayed around (I agree)

3) he wasn't thrilled about the next-gen LaCrosse in terms of its looks -- he thought it was kind of "too much" (I agree)

The man drove a 3800 V6 equipped early 2000s Bonneville as his personal car. He said he fell in love with the car when it was released, has had great service from it and can't seem to part with it.

I rarely find the opportunity to talk to the parts people. It seems they are the busiest.

Which of these folks do you seem to B.S. with?

Edited by trinacriabob

When we bought our Pontiac in Dec 2007 from a BPG Dealer, I talked to the sales guy for a while. He said:

1. Buick needs a modern Skylark for people who want Buick luxury but not Buick size.

2. The Lucerne and Lacrosse are too close in size and price making it hard to promote one over the other.

3. The Enclave and Acadia are the best thing since sliced bread.

4. People don't realize how much General Motors has changed.

5. GM needs better ads.

I'm not sure I get how chatting with the sales person is "BSing".

At any rate the next LaCrosse is far superior to the one it replaces, and actually has a shot at bringing in more people than GM fans. The sales guy will probably like it a lot more when he realizes just how many more sales it gets.

Haven't been to a dealer in years, but recently was chatting with the manager of the nearby independent Mercedes dealer/garage/restoration shop about W126 vs. W140 era S-classes, things to look for in buying one, etc...

Normally, I don't BS with anyone about the automotive world.

I find that most dealers and people in the general public are too stupid to have a meaningful conversation with. (regarding the state of the industry and it's relationship to perception verses reality) And on top of that, I generally find that my opinions are so strong that they tend to be very abrasive to most people. When those two things combine, it's not a good situation. I usually end up getting all pissed off and stand off-ish and the other person usually thinks I'm just an asshole for "overreacting".

Honestly, I try to avoid the subject at all costs. Then again, I've never been one to feel like I need (or need to make) casual conversation. Introversion will do that to you. I mean, I'll talk if someone talks to me, or if I'm in a jovial mood. But usually, I mind my own business and try to be as invisible as possible.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

And on top of that, I generally find that my opinions are so strong that they tend to be very abrasive to most people.

Wait...you're abrasive and you live in the South? I thought being abrasive was reserved for Yankees.

Having only lived in ATL for 2 years shortly after college, I found most native Southerners to be either: (a) of the sugarcoat variety, which anybody can see right through, or (b) "over the backyard" friendly and philosophical. I liked category (b), even though most of my friends were other transplants.

On the topic, you wouldn't believe how many tidbits of data I've put together on car mechanicals and car maintenance from talking to them...together with reading articles, owner's manuals, Chilton's, etc. And, if they are in fact full of it, one can figure that out because their input is NOT "in synch" with what the other sources say.

I did run into one who was a total asshole at a Pontiac-GMC dealership (back in 2005) and he DID NOT know that the Series III 3800 V6 was synonymous with drive-by-wire...the electronic throttle control which throttles the engine through a "potentiometer" (???) evidently attached to the gas pedal instead of using an accelerator cable. Wait, and I'm just a working stiff who reads magazines and he's a service advisor?

Edited by trinacriabob

Wait...you're abrasive and you live in the South? I thought being abrasive was reserved for Yankees.

Well...

Not exactly. I'm actually very shy and very easy to get along with. (Take the persona that I have here on the forum and dial it back about 4 notches) However, my policy (as it is on here) has always been HONESTY at all costs because I really hate "fake" and shallow people. I was raised to be honest and I'm going to tell people how I feel whether they like it or not.

When I get abrasive is when I'm passionate about something and people spout stupidity or try to challenge me.

Funny, I was at work the other night and the manager pissed me off. He said; "You better watch your mouth, *** isn't going to appreciate you saying that" to which I replied "I say what the f*ck I want to around here and if people don't like it, they can go to h*ll." (This is a simplified version of the story, he had riled me up pretty bad prior to this, which explains why I was angry enough to us that language)

That was a prime example of someone challenging me and bringing out my abrasive side. :D i felt like a jackass a couple of days later, but I have serious issues about censoring my opinions/views simply to not 'upset the balance' (Granted, if what I say is really going to hurt someone, then obviously I WILL censor myself)

Having only lived in ATL for 2 years shortly after college, I found most native Southerners to be either: (a) of the sugarcoat variety, which anybody can see right through, or (b) "over the backyard" friendly and philosophical. I liked category (b), even though most of my friends were other transplants.

That sounds like a typical urban environment in the south.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Well...

Not exactly. I'm actually very shy and very easy to get along with. (Take the persona that I have here on the forum and dial it back about 4 notches) However, my policy (as it is on here) has always been HONESTY at all costs because I really hate "fake" and shallow people. I was raised to be honest and I'm going to tell people how I feel whether they like it or not.

When I get abrasive is when I'm passionate about something and people spout stupidity or try to challenge me.

Funny, I was at work the other night and the manager pissed me off. He said; "You better watch your mouth, *** isn't going to appreciate you saying that" to which I replied "I say what the f*ck I want to around here and if people don't like it, they can go to h*ll." (This is a simplified version of the story, he had riled me up pretty bad prior to this, which explains why I was angry enough to us that language)

That was a prime example of someone challenging me and bringing out my abrasive side. :D i felt like a jackass a couple of days later, but I have serious issues about censoring my opinions/views simply to not 'upset the balance' (Granted, if what I say is really going to hurt someone, then obviously I WILL censor myself)

That sounds like a typical urban environment in the south.

So I take it you work at the North Carolina Welcome Center? :smilewide:

Yes... And we do have a janitor position open if you're interested in applying. Don't worry, english isn't the first language of the other janitors either.

:toiler::lol:

(J/K)

You do know that a janitor position within GM is a higher level than an assembly line worker? To be a GM janitor, you must 1st work on the assembly line. :smilewide:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

You do know that a janitor position within GM is a higher level than an assembly line worker? To be a GM janitor, you must 1st work on the assembly line. :smilewide:

You're SO corporate...

BTW, did you go to Latin Mass today?

Riiight....I would assume janitors don't work for GM, they are from an outside janitorial service like at most companies...