Emissions Standards control given to states?

ocnblu

As if the auto industry isn't already burdened to the breaking point and beyond, it appears the EPA will be directed to allow states to set their own emissions standards for motor vehicles. So we will then have the potential for FIFTY DIFFERENT STANDARDS. How does this even remotely make any sense? By their very definition, motor vehicles are made to TRAVEL. If I buy a car in PA, and I travel to CA, what then? Will I be fined? What about dealerships near state borders? What about commuters who travel daily to neighboring states? What about used cars? Can they not be sold out of state? Not to mention prevailing winds... "OMG we will sue Ohio because their emissions standards are not as stringent as ours and the jetstream is carrying their pollution to PA and we can't BREATHE!"

We need one Federal standard for the carmakers to adhere to, not this new rule that has real potential to become a huge clusterf@#k.

Was just about to post this... Thanks Obama! or should I say no thanks. At least I can say I didn't vote for ya.

There are several things that this guy has really pissed me off about and this one doens't help it any.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/01/26...-auto-industry/

The second memorandum will order the Environmental Protection Agency to reconsider California's request for a waiver from the Clean Air Act -- a move that would allow California, the nation's most populous state, to set tougher tailpipe emission standards than apply nationally.

Edited by BuddyP

As if the auto industry isn't already burdened to the breaking point and beyond, it appears the EPA will be directed to allow states to set their own emissions standards for motor vehicles. So we will then have the potential for FIFTY DIFFERENT STANDARDS. How does this even remotely make any sense? By their very definition, motor vehicles are made to TRAVEL. If I buy a car in PA, and I travel to CA, what then? Will I be fined? What about dealerships near state borders? What about commuters who travel daily to neighboring states? What about used cars? Can they not be sold out of state? Not to mention prevailing winds... "OMG we will sue Ohio because their emissions standards are not as stringent as ours and the jetstream is carrying their pollution to PA and we can't BREATHE!"

We need one Federal standard for the carmakers to adhere to, not this new rule that has real potential to become a huge clusterf@#k.

These emissions standards aren't about individual cars - they're about statewide fleet averages, so none of the scenarios you mentioned above will ever happen.

These emissions standards aren't about individual cars - they're about statewide fleet averages, so none of the scenarios you mentioned above will ever happen.

except if he buys a car in PA and sells it to someone in CA, that person has to make it meet emissions, except the new laws could make it to where if a person on the PA/OH border sells it to a person 5 miles away but in the other state, now they have to do the same.

We need to pick one set of emissions standards (the highest, but within reason) and stick to it. Then the government who is so eager to create stricter emissions needs to help fund these developments since they cost big bucks the automakers don't have...not even Toyota apparently.

except if he buys a car in PA and sells it to someone in CA, that person has to make it meet emissions, except the new laws could make it to where if a person on the PA/OH border sells it to a person 5 miles away but in the other state, now they have to do the same.

Again, this is not about individual cars. It's about statewide averages. There will be absolutely no change with regard to out-of-state cars.

We need to pick one set of emissions standards (the highest, but within reason) and stick to it. Then the government who is so eager to create stricter emissions needs to help fund these developments since they cost big bucks the automakers don't have...not even Toyota apparently.

Exactly if the government wants to stick their nose in it then they should pay for it!