Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Utterly Amazed: Google Maps

NOS2006

I've been looking at Google maps' Street View the last hour or two... this is INSANE! You can go to Australia, Spain, etc and see streets and everything!

If you're lost... go to Google Maps, then think of somewhere to go (type in Detroit or something). Look at the regular map, then on the left (on top of the zoom scroller) is a little man you can click and drag to the street. Then the world is yours and you can look at many, many places. It's nuts!

I've been looking at Google maps' Street View the last hour or two... this is INSANE! You can go to Australia, Spain, etc and see streets and everything!

If you're lost... go to Google Maps, then think of somewhere to go (type in Detroit or something). Look at the regular map, then on the left (on top of the zoom scroller) is a little man you can click and drag to the street. Then the world is yours and you can look at many, many places. It's nuts!

Welcome to something called Google Earth. You are 4 years behind your scheduled time.

Welcome to something called Google Earth. You are 4 years behind your scheduled time.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I've lost HOURS and HOURS being sucked into Google Earth. I couldn't stop looking up things--like, down to the freaking hospital I was at last time I was in Italy! It's outrageous!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I've lost HOURS and HOURS being sucked into Google Earth. I couldn't stop looking up things--like, down to the freaking hospital I was at last time I was in Italy! It's outrageous!

I am glad you do not have the Pro version. You will probably have bed soars for not getting out of bed and being hooked onto it.

Yeah, I get bored and look random stuff up on Google Maps. I got confused when I looked up my address, my parent's car is in the driveway but my Fusion is nowhere to be found. The only thing I can think of it that they drove by the day after the fuel pump went out and it got towed back to my place. Or my suspicion that someone was coming over while I was at work and drinking my soda was justified.

As a matter of fact the latest version 5 (I think they came out a few days ago) is fantastic.

Highly recommend that everyone get one.

How much $, how up to date are the satellite images, and how much better quality are the sat images? The free stuff still shows my neighborhood being built, so the images are about 3-4 years old, and some areas have really lousy quality images.

Yep, that feature alone makes Google Maps the best for directions. You can actually see what the area loks like you have to turn at, as opposed to just relying on some crappy, grainy, pixelated satellite image.

Disagree. Windows Live maps are better. http://maps.live.com

Live has higher-quality, more recent satellite images of more of America, especially LA (Google is way behind here), and Google Maps has a lot of errors. One notable error directed a bunch of us to a freeway onramp that hasn't existed since the 1960s.

While Google has Street View, Live has Birdseye View, and you can rotate it along the compass 90 degrees. Far more useful for me.

Disagree. Windows Live maps are better. http://maps.live.com

Live has higher-quality, more recent satellite images of more of America, especially LA (Google is way behind here), and Google Maps has a lot of errors. One notable error directed a bunch of us to a freeway onramp that hasn't existed since the 1960s.

While Google has Street View, Live has Birdseye View, and you can rotate it along the compass 90 degrees. Far more useful for me.

Honestly, which one is better depends on where you live. For my area, both have identical sat. images, both have the same correct and incorrect roads (one incorrect road leads you straight to where a dirt road turns into a sand dune... I was not pleased to pay that tow bill). But in my case, there are no "birds eye view" images, but there are some street view images. Google wins.

I use Google Maps all the time, and like Google Earth also.. haven't tried Windows Live maps on principle (it's Microsoft, therefore, avoid).

For commercial use maps and imaging, I've heard Digital Globe's products are quite good (www.digitalglobe.com)...(and it's a Colorado company, and I know a couple people that work there).