Spy Shots: Is this the next Opel Astra?

2010-opel-astra-white-580.jpg

Saturn's Astra has been something of a commercial non-starter stateside, but it remains a perennial favorite in Opel and Vauxhall guises in Europe. Thus, even with General Motors' touchy-feely brand on the rocks here at home, it's still a pivotal model overseas that warrants attention, even if we probably won't end up seeing it in America.

Thankfully, then, the folks at Autoblog.nl (no relation) have dug up a set of small images showing what looks to be a pair of production-ready 2010 examples. Details are slim, but the car is expected to eventually be offered in a whole range of models, including hatchback, sedan, wagon, and performance-oriented GTC. Look for it to hit the stand at the Frankfurt Motor Show this Fall.

Autoblog

Nice auto for small people. Sadly I feel I am a dying breed of 6'6" tall people who really only are comfortable in full size sedans or trucks / SUV's.

it looks serious and beautiful. very substantial, elegant, great form. it's easily the best of the luxury/standard class hatches, well maybe [euro] focus is still as endearing or moreso. i think it could work as a buick.......if buick suddenly became a progressive brand, and if it was accepted in urban centers/coastal communities, or americans in the midwest became suddenly adept and understanding of the inherent flexibility and desirability or a slickly styled hatch. the styling americans have seen in hatches has not always been good or attractive....this could be one to help turn the tide of perception against them.

it looks serious and beautiful. very substantial, elegant, great form. it's easily the best of the luxury/standard class hatches, well maybe [euro] focus is still as endearing or moreso. i think it could work as a buick.......if buick suddenly became a progressive brand, and if it was accepted in urban centers/coastal communities, or americans in the midwest became suddenly adept and understanding of the inherent flexibility and desirability or a slickly styled hatch. the styling americans have seen in hatches has not always been good or attractive....this could be one to help turn the tide of perception against them.

+1

I think GM should give Buick the next gen Astra sedan and 5-door and position them to compete against the Jetta/Golf 5-door and Mazda3 sedan/5-door. Based on the spy shots and leaked images, the next gen Astra sedan and 5-door will be much better looking than either one of these proposed competitors.

Pontiac would receive the next gen Astra coupe (or Callibra?) to solidify its position as a sporty niche sub-brand.

Link:Visit My Website

Source: TopSpeed

The Chevrolet Cruze would be positioned to compete against the more mainstream Corolla and Civic sedan.

Edited by cire

cbird2 3:58PM (3/26/2009)

They've sold over 10,000,000 Astra's worldwide. It's sold as a Saturn, Chevrolet, Holden, Vauxhall and Opel.

It's the fifteenth best selling nameplate in history, right between the Camry and 3-series. It's one of the most important cars in the world dude.

Here is a comment taken from Autoblog ... This person is up on his Opel trivia ... :P

So far I don't like it. It looks like the current gen Astra that let itself go...and I don't like the Matrix style wraparound rear window.

The current car looks taut and athletic...this looks, I dunno pudgy.

I have to agree.

The Germans really seem to be into pudgy these days.

Nice auto for small people. Sadly I feel I am a dying breed of 6'6" tall people who really only are comfortable in full size sedans or trucks / SUV's.

Makes me wonder what the Dutch are doing. Even all the women are 6'6" there. ;-)

Roof-raising customs must be popular there. ;-)

It's not bad... reminds me of the new Megane, only not as good looking.

i've generally despised renaults but the new megane is a fantastic looking car. if it were here, in the 5 door or wagon i would seriously consider it.

i like that the next astra looks a little like it. what i don't like about this upcoming astra is they got rid of the wide opening door on the back. one of the reasons my wife would consent to a current astra is that the top part of the rear doors now are super wide and make it super easy to get in and out of the car and put kid seats in.