From GM-Light Duty 4.5 Diesel Dead

FOR RELEASE: 2009-03-11

CONTACTS

GM Statement Regarding the Duramax 4.5L V-8 Diesel

Given the current economic climate, GM has reviewed and updated its U.S. product portfolio and has decided to place on indefinite hold its previously announced plan to add a Duramax 4.5L V-8 diesel engine in 2010 to its Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra light-duty trucks.

Chevrolet and GMC will continue to offer a heavy duty Duramax 6.6L V-8 diesel, which is class-leading in both horsepower and torque. Light-duty truck customers can also choose from several fuel-efficient gasoline engines with GM’s Active Fuel Management mated to a six-speed transmission or a new 2-Mode hybrid that provides up to 40 percent improved city fuel mileage and 25 percent improvement in overall fuel efficiency. In fact, no other full-size pickup has better fuel economy.

GM remains optimistic that the Duramax 4.5L V-8 diesel may be a viable option in its future portfolio.

CONTACT(S):

Susan Garavaglia

GM Advanced Technology Communications

248-857-4368

[email protected]

I'd like to see the 4.5 in the light duty trucks, but to be honest, with diesel seemingly permanently higher than gas... the 5.3 AFM motors get exceptional economy as is, with cheaper fill-ups. Seems to make financial sense given the state of things.

Well... Diesel was our way out of getting screwed over on the price of gas. So the powers that be decided to block that move before it even got a lot of momentum (via higher prices and more regulations)

This is sad news... From what I understand, this motor was to be used in cars and trucks and was a revolutionary powerplant.

Been buying diesel going on 3 years this summer- it's never been cheaper than gas and has been as much as $1.25 higher per. Right now it's closer than ever in that time period- only about 30 cents more. Diesel has been higher than gas here maybe 4 years now. Yep- individual state taxes are playing a role here, as well as demand....

diesel in trucks is not so much about the fuel economy as it is some hard core truck buyers really love diesel for tasks and in general think they last longer.

i know GM already has the duramax but i honestly feel they would be on to something with this 4.5. Many of their half tons and such with this motor would be a nice hit in the market. I know lots of farmers that would prefer their get around trucks to be diesel.

If they could manage to get this thing into a 1500 for no more than $35000 it probably wouldn't sell too bad? Hell the gasoline ones can get more than that. If they could get around that price theyd probably sell damn good because you could tow alot more with the diesel. If they would have had them in the trucks now I would have bought one of them instead of the gasoline one I got.

Edited by Daryl 83

It will be good when they bring back the plans. I was planning this for my next Silverado. This means I can keep mine for few years longer. I don't have a need for a extra heavy duty like in the 2500 or 3500 models. For me I would like the reliability of the diesel and the added fuel efficiency. It also lends itself to biodiesel options which in turn would reduce the need for foreign oil.

I have been waiting and waiting to buy a new suburban with a Diesel but now am plannign on redoing my 94 with a duramax since GM has failed to realize the instant gain in doubling their EPA Milage. This would be an exceptional help in their CAFE levels. I really do not understand how they can spend 500 million and then kill it off when they have a solution for taking from the teens to the mid 20's in milage with this engine. :(