C&G's ONLY Music Thread

Guest YellowJacket894

Guest YellowJacket894
I did this way back at the old forums, so what the hell? I'll bring it back. Feel free to post anything about music. The instruments you play, the music you love, the song you're listening to right now. Feel free to bash bands you hate, just don't direct it at anyone. I'd like to see this thread stay clean. Have fun! B)

I don't know, I usually listen to my Canto-pop music from Hong Kong. But recently I started car pooling with housemates who don't understand Chinese. I don't have too many English songs so I flicked the radio to the soft rock station. And now my car sounds like a doctor's clinic... Edited by ToniCipriani

I love and hate the Sprint Music Store on my damn phone. Spent $300 on it....yet have spent at least $50 downloading songs myself and my buddies have wanted to listen to their entireity "right now." It's mostly been Cash, Motley Crue and some very very very old school Kid Rock. Such a wide variety.

you're saying you've heard everything music has had to offer over the past 10-15 years?

that's impressive!

[post="44291"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think he just means pop radio. But, just to be fair, I will post a few bands and groups to see if he knows them:

01. Knapsack
02. Sunny Day Real Estate
03. Merril Bainbridge
04. Lisa Loeb
05. O.A.R.
06. Evermore
07. South
08. The Streets
09. Streetlight Manifesto
10. Candlebox

Let's see how he does...

For me, any rock music from about 1968 (Hendrix & the rise of metal) through 1991 or 1992 is good, but after 1992 it starts to get sketchy. By 1992, most of the hair bands began changing their sound to fit with the grunge era, resulting in subpar albums. Some bands like Warrant and Tesla still put out some great music in the early 90s, but others like Motley Crue tried to change their sound and only speeded up the inevitable booting off the record label.

Between 1992 and 1995, the Smashing Pumpkins, Candlebox, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Collective Soul, Dream Theater, etc all put out good music that I enjoy listening to. The Deftones also released their first CD in 1995, the first "nu metal" album 'Adrenaline.'

After 1995, IMO, rock began to slide downhill with the rise of alternative rock. Grunge died with Kurt Cobain, hair metal had been gone for a few years. There was less emphasis on crafting melodic albums...rather, bands put a couple guaranteed hits on the album and the rest was just filler. Playing anything more than three chords became uncool...so bands put out the most banal, run of the mill rock available. Guitar solos were blasphemy.

There's a few gem albums here and there that came out in the late 90s/early 2000s, but overall there's not much that gets me excited about rock music these days. Rock isn't fun like it used to be...so many bands sing about such depressing subjects. Emo is the worst offender. Most guitarists today don't even have the skill to play classics...I watched MTV Icon: Metallica a few years ago, and some of the bands completely botched the solos. I know kids in my guitar club that can play Metallica solos to perfection...they should be the ones with the record contracts. The internet is the only saving grace these days...I've actually found some great underground rock through services like Myspace.

I used to listen to modern rock a lot back when I was a freshmen/sophomore in high school because it was all I knew at the time...then I discovered 80s rock/progressive rock and I have never turned back. Blame it all on Shout at the Devil...the first 80s rock album I ever heard in full.

Posted Image

Edited by mustang84

I think he just means pop radio.  But, just to be fair, I will post a few bands and groups to see if he knows them:

01. Knapsack
02. Sunny Day Real Estate
03. Merril Bainbridge
04. Lisa Loeb
05. O.A.R.
06. Evermore
07. South
08. The Streets
09. Streetlight Manifesto
10. Candlebox

Let's see how he does...

[post="44350"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Lets see how I do -

1. Never heard of them till I sampled some of their music. This is the thing that bothers me most about music today - the lead singer. To me, he's got too whiny of a voice. Otherwise, it's nothing spectacular.

2. My friend played one of their albums in their car about 2 years ago. Some of their songs are too slow for me - I need something a little faster and a little louder.

3. The last name is the street I live on back home. Otherwise never heard of them.

4. I've heard of her, but only for her "Firecracker" album from like 10 years ago.... and her video that I saw on "Pop-Up Video" on VH1, dont recall the song but she rolls around in like a white shirt, and one of the facts from the video was like she wore 19 different white shirts during the shooting.

5. My roommate last year in college was obsessed with them. Whenever he would get drunk, he would pop in 34th and 8th and start singing along to their songs, and get really loud during "Crazy Game of Poker" - he and a few of his friends then saw them live. Some I know called them a Dave Matthews band knock-off or wannabe DMB band.

6. Never heard of them till now.

7. Same as 6.

8. I could care less about hip-hop/R&B music.

9. I've heard of them through my friend Michael, he got into Ska music because of Streetlight Manifesto. Meh - it was a little better then what I was expecting, but still not enough to wow me.

10. If I had to choose out of the 10 you listed I like the best, I would have to go with them. At least there's some soul and passion in their debut album for starters.

I like the music from basically the mid 60's to the very late 1980's. This is what I got hooked on, and I dont plan on making room for any of the stuff from today. Might be stubborn of me, but it's truth. I got hooked to the old, good stuff when I was 13-14, and I've been loving it ever since.

I've heard a lot of crap on pop radio for several years now. While driving in my car, its either CD's or Classic Rock I play.

I dont get around much to hear what others are buying and 15-18 bucks is too much to spend on something I may find detesting so I still havent heard many of the newer bands some of you guys mention. I think I remember Candlebox but have some fear Im confusing them with Matchbox....which I also like. Of the newer more mainstream stuff thats not exactly new anymore I have bought and enjoyed is Shine Down Leave a Whisper, I like a man that can sing with passion & power, Alterbridge same deal, passion and hard driving music with some pretty great guitar work. I found the song So Cold I believe it is, interesting so I bought the Breaking Benjamin CD but Im afraid So Cold is the tip of their iceberg, the rest is good but more typical, heard it before. On the flip side I love my Nora Jones CD's just as much and can actually listen to entirely different sound styles back to back :blink: Back in the early 90's I bought the Smashing Pumpkins tape based on a tip from a young musician, as I had asked him what was new and hot for his generation......within 2-3 weeks I had developed a profound taste for Country the first time in my life :lol: Sorry but that riffless junk from the 90's was nothing but noise, Im glad the boys are chunkin out the riffs again ! B) I cant deal with hardcore because the noisemakers at the mic seem to have some kind of medication or lack thereof problem.

On the flip side I love my Nora Jones CD's just as much and can actually listen to entirely different sound styles back to back  :blink:

[post="44424"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Oddly enough, I really like Nora Jones too. And Candlebox is pretty good. Edited by Satty

Guest YellowJacket894

anorexorcist, your sig is so beautiful, it's like music to my eyes.

[post="44191"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thank you. B)

As for my tastes in music, I enjoy a lot of the stuff released in the '90s: The "Grunge" Scene had plenty of great bands. My all time favorite band will be Alice In Chains. Layne Staley's vocals are never short of amazing and the band can really weave a real masterpiece on more than one occasion. Jerry Cantrell's guitar riffs have a great "kick 'n grind", too.

But, unlike most of the bands coming out of Seattle at the time, Alice actually started out as a hair metal band, which explains the sound of "Facelift". And before that, they were a glam band: a band who dressed in drag and played Slayer-esque tunes. To me, they were the band that grew and developed the best during that time. Edited by anorexorcist

Thank you.  B)

As for my tastes in music, I enjoy a lot of the stuff released in the '90s: The "Grunge" Scene had plenty of great bands. My all time favorite band will be Alice In Chains. Layne Staley's vocals are never short of amazing and the band can really weave a real masterpiece on more than one occasion. Jerry Cantrell's guitar riffs have a great "kick 'n grind", too.

But, unlike most of the bands coming out of Seattle at the time, Alice actually started out as a hair metal band, which explains the sound of "Facelift". And before that, they were a glam band: a band who dressed in drag and played Slayer-esque tunes. To me, they were the band that grew and developed the best during that time.

[post="44688"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Really ? I never knew that. I saw them, way back, they opened for VanHalen for the Unlawful Carnal Knowledge show. I knew I was listening to a new sound, most there at least around me were unimpressed but I knew something was going on and you are right about the vocalist he was, to me anyhow, like one of those old R&B vocalists, gobs of power and soul. He is gone now - correct ?

Guest YellowJacket894
Yes. Sadly, Layne is dead. From a herion O.D. Rock lost a very powerful voice in April 2002. I can find photos, if you wish, of the band in their hair metal days. Oh, yes, before I forget, Mad Season. Although it was a one off supergroup made up of Pearl Jam's Mike McCready (Guitar), the Screaming Trees' Barrett Martin (Drums), J.B Saunders, and Layne (Vocals, Guitar), it really showcased Layne's voice with a more Blues-esque band. And "Above" turned out to be a great album.

Here are some more exposed pics.

Even the nerd rockers Weezer were glam a few years earlier. Here are members of Weezer in earlier bands Zoom and Avant Garde.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Korn in their 1986 band RagTyme.
Posted Image

The Foo Fighters in their 1989 band Lost Kittenz.
Posted Image

Members of Staind in the band Bad Boy Trigger.
Posted Image

Marilyn Manson in his 1992 band Booogy. Not very goth...more like surfer beach bum.
Posted Image

If you guys want to see where I'm getting these from, go here:
Link

Maybe I'm just delusional... but that guy does not look like Marilyn Manson, Lost Kittens do not look like the Foo Fighters, and Ragtyme does not look like Korn. Nothing matches up in my eyes. I can't see any simularities. Just the structure of the faces don't match up. IDK... I'm only going from memory, so...

My bad, the Marilyn Manson one was actually Twiggy Ramirez. Here's Manson from the early 80s.
Posted Image

As for the Korn one, Fieldy is the one called "Reggie" and Head is the one called "Brian." Not all the band members are in these pics...some joined later, others were in different bands.

On the Foo Fighters one, Chris Schifflet is the second one over. The rest formed other alternative bands in the 90s.

Well... bought two CDs today. Wasn't planning on it, but I had money that didn't need to go towards gas anymore and said the hell with it. Guns N Roses: Greatest Hits and Linkin Park: Meteora. Two great CDs. Love them both. I wanted Metallica's Black album, but Wal*Mart sucks and didn't have it along with a few others.