So how small is the Solstice trunk?

We're going on a 4 day visit to my parents' place in Miami. Budget is offering a Solstice for $357.00. Albert really wants a convertible <and I agree>.... the other choice is a Mustang for $341.00 which makes the Pontiac a no-brainer.

But how small is the trunk? Can we get two small roll aboards in there?

Looks about as small as a Sebring convertible w/ the top down (which has an absurdly tiny trunk w/ the top down with a massive decklid). I had one of those in Florida from Alamo last July.

Edited by moltar

We decided to scrap the Solstice idea. We found a package for $520 that includes round trip airfare and our choice of DTS or Mustang convertible. With the money we're not spending on the Solstice, we're going to do an overnight in Key West or take my parent's boat out for an overnight.

We decided to scrap the Solstice idea. We found a package for $520 that includes round trip airfare and our choice of DTS or Mustang convertible. With the money we're not spending on the Solstice, we're going to do an overnight in Key West or take my parent's boat out for an overnight.

:thumbsup: that is a killer idea and deal, Have fun, kick it up and take plenty of pictures for us to all see and drool over. Vacation like a rock star for all of us that cannot go on vacation yet. :smilewide:

Well you know, the rental has already been bought and paid for. So the "damage" is done. Whether you rent it or not won't make a difference to the automakers.

Doesn't mean I can't reward the company that purchased the way I want them to. It all trickles down. Both the Solstice and S2000 are halo cars at rental places. Placing more demand on the Solstice encourages the rental company to buy more of them.

A scholarly friend of mine once described it as the world's only carpeted fuel tank. This hasn't stopped her from driving as far as Yosemite. (packing scientifically for the trip and FedEx-ing stuff to our destination)

The color: Far From Mellow-Yellow and the turbo pulls nicely at higher elevations.

Even in monsoon-like rain conditions the top and window seals remained leak-free. Excitement.

Read my sig.

You don't buy non-American cars because they aren't American. You're telling American auto manufacturers that it's ok to keep doing what they're doing since you'll keep buying. Do you think American auto manufacturers are doing a good job? Do you think that the companies are being run as well as they should? If so, they say no more and I will understand.

I think that consumers should buy what they want to buy. They shouldn't be expected to, nor asked to, purchase a different product simply because it's American. That would be shifting the problem from the auto manufacturers (where it belongs) to the consumers. The pressure needs to stay on the auto manufacturers if we expect them to improve. If that means beating them down because of their past inefficiency and greed, then that is exactly what we need to do.

American citizens have a wider selection of vehicles to choose from than any other country. Should we impose a limited selection on everyone and be like other countries? We don't need to do that in order for our economy to thrive. We may need to eliminate our trade deficit for our economy to thrive. For that to happen, at least in terms of vehicles, other countries need to purchase American cars, and other country's citizens need to want and desire American cars. For that to happen, our manufacturers need to build products that are class leading and desirable worldwide.

It's getting there. Ford and GM are building more desirable and better vehicles. I'm hoping that GM can turn it around and become a stronger and more flexible company in the end. Our trade deficit is shrinking; exports have decreased but imports have decreased at a higher rate (graph). Unfortunately I think once the economy springs back, imports will as well.

Our deficit with China is shrinking, and if GM can continue to build popular cars to sell there, I think that will help a lot in balancing that budget, and improving our economy at the same time. Our consumers buy a lot of Chinese product though, so it will be difficult.

/derailed thread

The way I see it, turnabout is fair play: erect trade barriers, and you should expect them to be erected against you.

On a personal level, I will simply exercise my right to never buy any Japanese cars.

It's both a statement about the way they do business, and an expression of my distaste for their product.

I do admit that it is an easy choice for me since they have never built anything that appeals to me.

You don't buy non-American cars because they aren't American. You're telling American auto manufacturers that it's ok to keep doing what they're doing since you'll keep buying. Do you think American auto manufacturers are doing a good job? Do you think that the companies are being run as well as they should? If so, they say no more and I will understand.

I think that consumers should buy what they want to buy. They shouldn't be expected to, nor asked to, purchase a different product simply because it's American. That would be shifting the problem from the auto manufacturers (where it belongs) to the consumers. The pressure needs to stay on the auto manufacturers if we expect them to improve. If that means beating them down because of their past inefficiency and greed, then that is exactly what we need to do.

American citizens have a wider selection of vehicles to choose from than any other country. Should we impose a limited selection on everyone and be like other countries? We don't need to do that in order for our economy to thrive. We may need to eliminate our trade deficit for our economy to thrive. For that to happen, at least in terms of vehicles, other countries need to purchase American cars, and other country's citizens need to want and desire American cars. For that to happen, our manufacturers need to build products that are class leading and desirable worldwide.

It's getting there. Ford and GM are building more desirable and better vehicles. I'm hoping that GM can turn it around and become a stronger and more flexible company in the end. Our trade deficit is shrinking; exports have decreased but imports have decreased at a higher rate (graph). Unfortunately I think once the economy springs back, imports will as well.

Our deficit with China is shrinking, and if GM can continue to build popular cars to sell there, I think that will help a lot in balancing that budget, and improving our economy at the same time. Our consumers buy a lot of Chinese product though, so it will be difficult.

/derailed thread

Another thing - if the US government were more like Japan's government, GM and Chrysler would have been dead long ago. The success of many Asian industries comes from governments picking winners among domestic players, withdrawing support from those that are revealed failures, so that resources don't get bottled up in unproductive activities. I don't think American business owners, or consumers for that matter, would find that acceptable.

Edited by empowah

Another thing - if the US government were more like Japan's government, GM and Chrysler would have been dead long ago. The success of many Asian industries comes from governments picking winners among domestic players, withdrawing support from those that are revealed failures, so that resources don't get bottled up in unproductive activities. I don't think American business owners, or consumers for that matter, would find that acceptable.

They also heavily subsidize industry and innovation as well, were we rather have dividends and profits.