NYC thanks General Motors

In a heartfelt gesture, Mayor Bloombeg & the City of New York paid handsome tribute to General Motors, thanking them for their $10 Million spent (plus a fleet of support vehicles) in NYC & WDC immediately after the 9/11 attacks, by purchasing 40 hybrid sedans for use as both marked & unmarked police cars.

"These new patrol cars will help fulfill the PlaNYC goal of reducing City government's carbon footprint," said Mayor Bloomberg.

"We want to get the most mileage out of technology where it makes sense & with the addition of these hybrids, we're doing that literally," said Police Commissioner Ray Kelly.

Though the just over $1M spent on the hybrids doesn't really go that far toward 'returning the favor' of GM's $10M, the sign of support the City showed GM cannot be missed....

...the 40 hybrid sedans were nissan altimas.

LINKY

Edited by balthazar

The 40 were just bought, in 2009. There's a hybrid Malibu... or hadn't you heard?

Sorry, I misread the article. Still the Malibu is still a mild hybrid and not very "good" (as good as a hybrid can be) compared to Toyota's system.

Nissan probably gave NYC a sweet deal on them. I doubt Altima hybrids have been flying off the lots.

Well, they still don't sell them everywhere. I've seen exactly one IRL.

Sorry, I misread the article. Still the Malibu is still a mild hybrid and not very "good" (as good as a hybrid can be) compared to Toyota's system.

If you click on the link, you'll see what was posted isn't an actual article. The hybrid purchases had nothing to do with 9/11 donations.

Speaking of which, GM donated $1 million - not $10 million - after 9/11, as did Nissan NA:

* General Motors Corp. has donated $1 million to the Red Cross, provided

60 GM vehicles to rescue and relief agencies, and pledged to match all

employee donations. The company's Northeast region offered a fleet of

trucks, vans and SUVs for use in disaster recovery efforts.

* Nissan North America has donated $500,000 to the Red Cross and $500,000

to the Twin Towers Fund for the families of police officers,

firefighters and emergency rescue crew members killed in New York, and

is matching employee donations to the two organizations.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories....5544&EDATE=

The Malibu uses a "mild" hybrid system that increases fuel economy by 2-3 mpg. The Fusion, Altima, and Camry use a "full" hybrid system, which means they can propel on electricity alone - and they have PZEV emissions. Of the full hybrids, only the Altima is made in the US.

Edited by empowah

>>"If you click on the link, you'll see what was posted isn't an actual article. The hybrid purchases had nothing to do with 9/11 donations."<<

Dude, are you always this tightly wound ?

I was being facetious; trying to inject a bit of levity in a disproving opinion on NYC government buying a japanese fleet instead of American, esp in this economy. 10-4 on the donation amount, tho; always appreciate the facts...

>>"Well, they still don't sell them everywhere. I've seen exactly one IRL. "<<

I had no idea nissan had a hybrid until this article.

Edited by balthazar

>>"If you click on the link, you'll see what was posted isn't an actual article. The hybrid purchases had nothing to do with 9/11 donations."<<

Dude, are you always this tightly wound ?

I was being facetious; trying to inject a bit of levity in a disproving opinion on NYC government buying a Japanese fleet instead of American, esp in this economy.

Yeah, I know. I don't think CSpec did, though - so I replied to him.