Perspective

Toyota Loses More Than GM

American automakers can take heart in knowing that even mighty Toyota ™, with its Lean Production System, more advanced cars and lower per-unit production costs is doing horribly in this environment. In its latest report, the company just doubled its lost estimate for the coming year to $5.5 billion.

And in its fourth quarter ending March 31, the company lost a stunning $7 billion, which -- if you you can believe this -- is a billion more than what GM says it lost last year. Let that sink in.

Not only that, it slashed its dividend and S&P downgraded the stock to AA. The decline is all the more remarkable in light of a) optimism that the world is turning and b) its being America competitors are total basket cases.

...also making matters worse is the fact that Ford and Hyundai are nipping at the "low cost" segment.

People who shop hard dollar for dollar are going to be harder pressed to pay the toyota premium when things do recover a bit, I think.

Chris

I was at the Ford lot today looking at the new Mustang, and there was a quite a bit of activity for a Sunday afternoon. Lots of people checking out Fusions and such.

I didn't see nearly as much at the Toyota lot as I drove by. Couple that with all the negative comments I read for reviews of newer Camrys and Corollas, and I can't help but wonder if sentiment toward Toyota is shifting.

hyundai is the new 'asian brand that cures all the world's problems' brand.

people see hyundai as the exact same thing as toyota, except with better warranty and cheaper price.

the other thing to remember, toyota got fat on SUV's too.

don't worry i see plentiful amounts of camrys and corollas at the hertz near my house.

i really hope ford doesn't achieve toyota status. i hope ford sells well but i really don't think ford deserves the fickle followers.

...and let's not forget that Nissan is on the move...people who want an asian car woulod be silly not to look at Nissan with its better engeneering and styling than Toyota.

Chris

...and let's not forget that Nissan is on the move...people who want an asian car woulod be silly not to look at Nissan with its better engeneering and styling than Toyota.

Chris

x2. although i think in some aspects nissan is crippled by its renault styling botches (Versa, etc.)

Mazda has good engineering too but IMHO they are becoming a girl / old pontiac stigma type of brand.