To Michelin or not to Michelin

I've been eying getting the Integrity OEM tires off the Impala in the future and I've been tire shopping. I've decided I want to have a quiet nice riding tire, and I'm willing to pay a premium. at the end of the day I'm choosing between the Goodyear Comfortred and the Michelin MXV4 Primacy which is a relatively new tire. I need something that is decent in the snow and wet as it does have to do all season duty. I know that the Michelin has a slightly shorter treadlife but probably rides better etc... My concern is would it be that much better and would it be better in the winter? I'm sure some of the tire guys here could help me make a decision.

Goodyear Comfortred

gy_assurance_comfor_ww_ci2_l.jpg

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...inSpeedRating=S

Michelin MXV4 Primacy

mi_primacy_mxv4_ci2_l.jpg

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...inSpeedRating=S

I've been concerned about the amount of tooth on the Primacy's tread... but I think the Comfortred might be better in that regard. I'm not interested in the Traction T/A as I want a more premium tire. I would pick the Tripletred but I want a quieter, less firm tire.

I really prefer the Goodyear Assurance Tripletreds. Its a bit noisier than the Comfortreds, but I think the wet, dry and snow handling would make you happy. I don't notice the noise at all. I really have to work to get my tires loose, even in the wet or snow, and I've gotten crazy life from the tires... they are rated to go 80K, but one of my tires was still good at over 100K.

My GF put these on her Corolla after the somewhat worn OEM tires hit some standing water and nearly put the car into a guardrail... the new tires are like night and day. The car can virtually drive across a lake now.

I realize you are looking for comfort and quiet, but I really feel the difference is negligible.

I haven't had Michelin winter/all season tires, but have had Pilots of a couple cars...loved them. For winter tires, I've been happy with Goodyears, esp. the Fortera triple treads I have on the Jeep now, great in all that winter snow and slush we get in Phoenix.. :)

What do you drive on/through in the winter, ice or snow? If it's ice, I would go with a tire with more siping than either of the two.

I used the Forteras on mixed slush, heavy snow, occasionally ice in the Denver area for one winter..had extra siping done when they were installed. They worked great...

So the Impala needs a more floaty ride? :blink:

Anyway, if you're concerned about winter traction, and you're willing to spend the money anyway, get a set for winter and a set for the rest of the year.

I'm not dishing for winter tires but I think the Comfortreds are good in the winter relative to the Tripletreds and way better than the Integrity.

Goodyear Integrity Rating

gy_integrity_ci2_l.jpg

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...Rating=S#Survey

Goodyear Comfortred Rating

gy_assurance_comfor_ww_ci2_l.jpg

Goodyear Tripletred Rating

gy_assurance_triple_ci2_l.jpg

As you can see the Comfortred and Tripletred are close even tho the Comfortreds ride better.... and both are way better than the Integrity which is what I've been living with. I suppose that the Comfortred would be my choice.

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

One thing about the Goodyears I've had is that they wear well...I rotate them at every oil change (3k), and my original set of Wranglers lasted 48k miles...I've got about 20k on the Fortera Triple Treads, and they still look pretty close to new..

Michelins are nice, but they are very pricey for a tire.

Tripletreds would be a good choice.

Depends on the price too...General Antimax(sp?) RTs are pretty good....as are the Cooper CS4s. These are a bit sportier, should be grippier too. I know the Coopers should hold up in the cold...I'm thinking the RTs as well. (Will have to check)

Also, how much winter is this Impy going to see?

Michelins are nice, but they are very pricey for a tire.

Tripletreds would be a good choice.

Depends on the price too...General Antimax(sp?) RTs are pretty good....as are the Cooper CS4s. These are a bit sportier, should be grippier too. I know the Coopers should hold up in the cold...I'm thinking the RTs as well. (Will have to check)

Also, how much winter is this Impy going to see?

If I was going strictly for performance I'd go for the Tripletreds no doubt but I want a quieter/softer riding tire. The car will be driven year round all weather.

The Comfortread (stupid name by the way) looks like it will be better in the winter as it has a lot more siping than the others, plus wider gaps between the tread blocks on the outside for getting rid of the snow/slush. That being said, I've never liked Goodyear's. I remember replacing a lot of Aquatreads when they first came out because of separation after only a short time.

That being said, Michelin is a great tire, but are very expensive for what you get. I've found that Toyo's are just as good and cheaper too. Take a look at the 800 Ultra. When I was selling tires, it competed and won against the Michelin for ride, quality, traction, and price.

Just my thoughts.

MICHELIN if you want a quite tire, excellent traction.

I have the BF Goodrich A/T on my suburban, Dakota and Durango, they are the best for that class and type of vehicle.

On the Escalade, I have the OEM Goodyears, but like all good years if you go into a parking garage or any place they have cement roads / floors and Good Years always squeal. Very noisy tires.

I have on the CTS & SRX Michelins and they Rock, great grip, quite, I can Highly recommend the tire.

My dad on his SRX put on the Fortera Triple Tread last fall and loved them in the snow and rain here in Seattle. The last few weeks he has said while it is quite on the asphalt roads, they are much noisier on Cement and still squeal in the parking garages.

So both tires are good, but if you really want grip with total Quite, then go Michelin. Price is worth the pleasure of the drive.

The Comfortread (stupid name by the way) looks like it will be better in the winter as it has a lot more siping than the others, plus wider gaps between the tread blocks on the outside for getting rid of the snow/slush. That being said, I've never liked Goodyear's. I remember replacing a lot of Aquatreads when they first came out because of separation after only a short time.

I understand that the Comfortred and Tripletred have really upped the quality at Goodyear over the previous Regatta and Aquatread tires they replaced. That and they're made in Canada (bonus).

If I was going strictly for performance I'd go for the Tripletreds no doubt but I want a quieter/softer riding tire. The car will be driven year round all weather.

So the fact that the Tripletreads are quiter than the aquatreads must be due to the use of Canada's sand oil. :neenerneener:

In my experience, just stick to what traits you find important for any-time-but-white seasons. Trying to find one all-season tire better than another for winter is like trying to decide which average-talent should move into the finals on American Idol. In other words, most will do just about the same in the winter as far as all-season's go, none will excel and there are worse among them.

Anyway, a tread pattern with less large-sized blocks and a softer tread can help. The theory, as it has been explained to me, is that a smaller tread block offers more flexibility to keep traction on slick roads. More directly lateral slits offer more traction in snowy or slushy conditions. They'll also be noisier, but you'll have to find the compromise somewhere.

Believe me, I've tried to figure this one out before and there's no clear answer. I travel some of the worst winter roads between southern British Columbia, Alberta, and until recently, Saskatchewan. I chose to own two sets of wheels with tires: Nice wheels with summer tires offering great wet traction, low noise and higher performance; then the stock wheels with winter tires for, well, $h!ty winter driving. A half-hour with a floor jack and a socket wrench is all the grief I ever have now with all the benefits of fantastic year-round traction.

Edited by ShadowDog

It seems people are steering you toward the Comfortred. Goodyear puts out a good enough tire. I like the Goodyears on the LaCrosse.

Now that the older car is getting older, I have switched from Michelin to BF Goodrich, though still from Costco. Believe it or not, the ride is about the same, but the Michelins would squeal a little in cloverleafs and the BF Goodrichs do not. I don't know why.

Since your car is practically new, you can pay a little more. In your metro area, the traction in winter should be as, if not more important, than the ride. I remember what it was like trying to walk down a sidewalk in Calgary and Banff in winter, let alone drive...

Try Michelin Destiny.

It is an old and tested tire. I have been using a set of Destinies on my Lumina and have just put over 70K miles on them and are ready for replacement. The ride quality is forgiving and moreover quiet tires. They cost about $135 a piece at Discount Tires, but that includes the road side hazard and maintenance program, installation, old tires disposal, etc.