New 2010 Opel/Vauxhall Astra

I think with some styling modifications, the new 5-door Astra could really fit into Buick's lineup. The marketing folks would need to find some clever, alternative, upscale term to replace hatchback, though. If Buick marketed this as more of a mini-Enclave type vehicle instead of a traditional hatchback, it might work. Buick will need to find some name other than "Astra" to use on this vehicle since Saturn has already used it on a recent unsuccessful venture in the U.S. market. Overall, this car looks like it might be more suitable for the U.S. market than the current Astra 5-door.

Of course, Buick will still need a compact sedan to complete its lineup. As Saturn and Dodge has learned: a compact hatchback can augment a sedan offering in a brand's lineup in the U.S., but it should never serve as the sole replacement.

Edited by cire

I like it, alot. The big question: Will we see it as a Buick?
I remember the Internet rumour mill saying the Astra sedan might revive the Ascona nameplate (basically a copy of the rumour Renault will change the name of its Megane sedan), so I am pretty sure you will see an Astra-based sedan and that it will make it to the US as a Buick. The hatches and wagon, I'm not so sure... I don't know how well the Mazda 3 hatch sells.

I would tend to agree, but this one now has cupholders that all the girlie men were clamoring for ... :P

Cupholders have been standard equipment on most new cars for almost 20 years, and on EVERY new car for the last 15. GM even engaged in competing with Chrysler and Ford with how many cupholders they could place in their minivans, SUVs and CUVs.

Insult all you want, but GM didn't even offer as an option something that has been standard equipment for nearly two decades and is expected to be standard equipment on every new vehicle.

I would definitely buy one of these if GM would put a waterfall grille on it and sell it in the U.S. as a Buick (maybe under the "Centieme" name?). I want a stylish, slightly luxurious small car with more utility than a sedan. I don't exactly want the height or extra weight associated with a CUV. This car would be perfect. I was considering a 2010 Mazda3, but Mazda majorly messed up the design. This car is perfect. I really do love the looks of it. I still think it would sell at a decent level in the U.S. as a Buick if it was marketed as a sports tourer or some sort of crossover type vehicle. It sort of has a mini-Enclave feel to its styling.

I would definitely buy one of these if GM would put a waterfall grille on it and sell it in the U.S. as a Buick (maybe under the "Centieme" name?). I want a stylish, slightly luxurious small car with more utility than a sedan. I don't exactly want the height or extra weight associated with a CUV. This car would be perfect. I was considering a 2010 Mazda3, but Mazda majorly messed up the design. This car is perfect. I really do love the looks of it. I still think it would sell at a decent level in the U.S. as a Buick if it was marketed as a sports tourer or some sort of crossover type vehicle. It sort of has a mini-Enclave feel to its styling.

I think you just crave an Opel ... :smilewide:

gosh, all of us do. at this point though, i almost would rather buy it from roger penske at this point than barack obama and ron pullmyfinger.

i suppose i could always smuggle one in from canada.....

Edited by regfootball

I do find the idea of an Opel/Buick alignment very intriguing. I think Buick has a lot of potential that could be properly tapped if GM would place some appropriate Opel originated additions in its lineup. Buick doesn't have to be a geriatric brand if GM can effectively exploit its potential (although GM's ability to do this is extremely questionable).

The 2010 Astra 5-door appears to be the perfect blend of elegance and understated sportiness that could help attract a younger demographic to Buick. I didn't really think Buick could pull off selling a hatchback until I saw this car (although Buick needs to find a clever alternative marketing term for hatchback if it attempts to sell it). If presented properly and marketed aggressively, I think it could be a success for Buick. I still think Buick needs a compact sedan (since sedans are much more popular and accepted in the U.S.), but I think there is room for this configuration (5-door) also.