Quick Fixes to Perfect G6

With all this talk of new product, one little car's future that most everyone has stopped talking about is the unloved G6. What will happen to this segment Pontiac once dominated in? How will G6 change when Malibu and Aura take center stage as world-class products?

I was eating Mexican yesterday, and I had an idea for a G6 refresh. All of my ideas come when I am eating Mexican. :CG_all:

What if G6 were to be refreshed around 2007, a la Nissan Altima 2005 redesign, only better executed. To understand the issues that plague the G6, one need look as far as the interior, it's still flat and unadorned Fisher Price, largely because of a cheap looking center stack. Redesign the interior, and this car will have class. The exterior has been a source of some criticism, and a lot of enthusiasm as well. I think the G6 sedan exterior is pretty great. With minor tweaks both the sedan and coupe could be a lot more exciting to look at.

First, even the base G6 should have the aggressive, balls-in-your-face look Pontiac was well known for in the '60's. that would help to add to this car's mystery and adult tone, instead of the current base model that has a soft fascia that add to the feminine appeal of this car. Keep in mind, all that I am asking for is to change the bumper fascias a little bit for some more excitement, a lot like the Velite grille on the Lacrosse really translates that car into a Lexus-looker.

Here is the Roush G6:

Posted Image

All I am suggesting are some changes to the fascia, to make it more aggressive and more of a performance look, you know more angular edges and a bigger intake opening and such, and these should be standard on every G6. It wouldn't cost GM much money, but it would freshen up the look of the G6, that is incredibly contemporary, and, to me at least, is looking better by the day, a really good thing.

The standard G6 should be offered in 4-cylinder trim with a peformance package. Make the 5 spd from the Solstice standard on the G6 2.4, and make the 2.4 performance package with added suspension stiffening and wheel enhancements, short link shifter, in short a true performance package.

In my ideal world, G6 3.5 would go away, but I know some here will complain about this. Fine, continue offering it, as long as the more aggressive looks are implemented, then I have no problem with it.

The interior is where the real shock and awe will come. Make this interior really Pontiac-worthy, something Acura might put in thier cars. Or just make the concept interior, exactly as it was designed, with high quality materials. Bob Lutz promised us the G6 interior is a work in progress. I want to see the progress. We will be seeing this car until 2010, I want to see some real improvements to increase sales.

Bottom Line Pontiac: Fix the interior, add some aggression and tension where it's missing, and add some performance excitement to the base 2.5 as well as an upgrade to the GTP's suspension. Oh and fix the electric steering, or make hydraulic standard.

Not too much money, and a sound business plan to increase the relevance of this very nice car.

The absolute best thing that GM could do in the G6 and Malibu is redesign the center stack in both vehicles. Smoothly flowing center stacks with hidden seams or integrated radios would dramatically improve first impressions of quality for both vehicles. Currently, I don't think there is one thing at all wrong with the Malibu and G6 exterior design wise. The 06 Malibu and G6 are more attractive, IMO, than the Accord and Camry.

I don't know about the Malibu, but I do agree the G6 is a pretty good looking sedan. the only thing it should have imo, are better designed wheels in basic form, or just go with the bigger wheels standard. Also I just don't think the base sedan is aggressive enough to be a Pontiac. Even though against the competition, yes it's a better design, but as a Pontiac the G6 has a lot more to live up to. Agreed that the interior should have integrated radios and HVAC controls; I don't want the regular units GM is using, I was some design innovation.

I think GM should devote an entire team to fixing ALL of the Epsilon cars problems because each and every one of them has issues. The 9-3 is about 90% there, the G6 about 85% and the Malibu about 60%. Of course, it would depend on how soon Ep II came on line and how much $$ GM wanted to spend. In my opinion it's a VITAL part of the market in which GM should have some of it's best offerings and thus, the cars should be fixed.... But anyway, sorry for rambling.

Things I would like to see after driving it last time: Taillights, redesign to add a separate turn signal. It's OK to keep this design if the Cobalt's getting different ones, or vice versa. Handbrake. Move the button back to the normal forward position. Get rid of the wheel covers on the base. For the panoramic sunroof, consider using a slide switch instead of the fixed positions knob. No wood trims, please, especially tacky plastic faux wood.

My specialty... First of all, some mechanical enhancements are needed. I don't car how much it will cost but the 3.6L needs to replace the 3.5L and 3.9L. ASAP. I could see a 2.4L Ecotec would be if a higher output version is made. Turbocharged versions of each would be available. The T3.6L for a GXP varient. Transmissions should 5 or 6 speed manuals and autos only. No 4spds. Period. Also, a manual should be standard with every engine, autos optional. Handling needs improved too. A 5th gen GAGT outhandles it. Stiffer suspension, better shock absorbers, and larger sway bars are needed, atleast. Brakes need to be big bigger as well. Second, the exterior. Redesign the headlights with a blacked-out housing and round elements with HID to keep it classy and sporty. The taillights need to be totally redone. I mean the shape is just horrible and is anything but unique. Angle them more from the rear and incorporate them better on the sides. Basically, mix the concept's taillights with the last Grand Am. Inside, make only one large element. The housing would match the headlights and be blacked-out. Reverse lights would be mounted on the bumper (like the Solstice). 3rd brake light would be spoiler-mounted on the spoiler. It would be subtle, raised about an inch, and thin with flat-black posts. Dual exhaust tips for the 2.4 and quads for the 3.6. The bumper would include a revised license plate housing and lowered body color area. On the side, the chrome strip would be blacked-out, the mirrors would be body-colored, and the rub strip would be removed. Other than the GTP's, all wheels would be redesigned and either 17 or 18 inches. Back to the front, the grill would be sharpened and recessed, the lower intake would be larger and sportier, and the foglamps would be outside of it and placed as wide as possible while being larger and NON projector. For the GXP, subtle and integrated ground effects all around with a vent between the exhaust on the back, larger intakes/grill and a ram air hood for the front, and 19 inch wheels. 3rd, the interior. Basically it needs totally redone. Take the dash from the concept and production-ize it. It would include a flowing center stack/console with real metal trim, flush HVAC vents, and pop-up NAV. The steering wheel would be the three-spoke and the gauges would have the same cluster, but high tech display. The radio and climate controls would new and unique (i'm getting sick of the idea of a corporate radio; how about brand specific radios?). The seats would be bolstered better. A little too much, you say? :P

I think G6 looks great as it is, externally. Problem with that air dam is it would get torn off all the time. G6 too heavy for an I4 Solstice tranny is RWD, G6 needs FWD tranny. Current V6 engines are fine with the 65E 4sp but the 6 speed FWD standard should be an option for all GM cars. period ! Current V6 engines are fine, I believe they should apply the SC to the 3.5 being how that seems to get milage where the 3.9 is a problem. A blown 3.5 should smoke the 3.9 and possibly the 3.6 no sweat. Pontiac does not deserve the 3.6 when Buick needs a better car body or how about a new chassis - hello ! Pontiac interiors need help, talk about drab. I dont know what they can do about the back seat headroom so thats going to have to stay until the arched top finally becomes old and better approaches to intellegent styling are refound. But yes you are right that they need to get that interior attention ASAP.

If they gave the G6 a solstice-like interior but not an exact copy since it would take away from the roadster's unique look. Then use higher grade materials and added more tech-features. It would be pretty sweet. Then give the tail end some more attractive tail-lights. Possibly smaller.

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but would it be too much to see the details from the concept car make it to production? The silver accents in the lower fascia, and in the grille bits, the body color mirrors, the beautiful wheels, and different projector lenses for the headlights? This is too beautiful, and would seriously help the G6, imo.

I think the car needs to get wider too, and the wheelbase should be a bit shorter overall than it is now. Finally, the rear deck is designed perfectly on the concept, let's work on translating that to production.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ugh... I strongly dislike the silver colored grills on the concept.

I think G6 looks great as it is, externally.
Problem with that air dam is it would get torn off all the time.
G6 too heavy for an I4
Solstice tranny is RWD, G6 needs FWD tranny. Current V6 engines are fine with the 65E 4sp but the 6 speed FWD standard should be an option for all GM cars. period !

It being too heavy is one of my main arguements in the other thread. I was just saying that it needs to flash back to 92 and learn from the Quad4 HO, except without the Quad4. Basically, make a HO version of the Ecotec 2.4 to offer in the G6. Try to get 190-200hp out of it. Then offer a turbocharged 2.4 above that. Same with the 3.6.

As for the transmissions... who said anything about the Solstice transmission? There's a 6spd auto for FWD slowly becoming available and there are some 5spds for FWD... somewhere. That and there are definitely some 5spd and 6 spd manuals somewhere too. Hands down, the 4spd has to go.

Current V6 engines are fine, I believe they should apply the SC to the 3.5 being how that seems to get milage where the 3.9 is a problem. A blown 3.5 should smoke the 3.9 and possibly the 3.6 no sweat. Pontiac does not deserve the 3.6 when Buick needs a better car body or how about a new chassis - hello !

No, they aren't. :P Fuel mileage on the 3.9 is absolutely horrendous and the 3.5 isn't exactly the best engine ever made. It's rough. The 3.9 is the better the engine but both are no match for the 3.6 as well as an additional turbo 3.6. Smooth, powerful, and now turbo. That's what the G6 needs. :D

The malibu and the G6 desperately need new interiors. the HV engines need 3v and DoD like.... NOW. the 3.5L needs to make at least 235hp and the 3.9L needs to make about 270hp. the 2.4L would make a fine base engine. All should be optional with a 5spd manual maybe give the GXP a 6-spd? i dont think it really needs a 6 though... and while they are at it, why dont they use all the $$ they save making pushrods and put Direct Injection on it... lets have the 3.5L make 260hp and get 24/35 and have the 3.9L make about 300hp and get 21/29, i dont think any1 will complain then. the G6 needs a new taillight assembly. When Epsilon II comes out i think it would be in GMs best interest to make both of these cars wider bodies and give malibu some circular tailights a la cobalt coupe. Actually i think the one single largest benefit GM could ever make to their current cars, is to take the general impala/lucerne/DTS dash except dont leave some big ole chunk of black plastic on it!! cover it up with cheap faux alumium or SOMETHING it looks SOOO bad with that black plastic. the Cobalt SS looks 1000000000000000000000000x better like that over the base cobalt. its simple and not all that expensive and it makes it look SOO much better! at least Ford has this concept down. but i have not driven any of these so i dont really know about the ride or nothing. Edited by Teh Ricer Civic!

Stop posting those G6 concept pics!!! It's a constant reminder of what the G6 could have been, and should be. The production is simply watered down. There sharp creases, wider stance, and beauitful rear (especially taillamps) are lost on the production. The G6 interior stack, however, is the single worst part of the car. Not the materials used or fit and finish, but the design. You want a quick fix fot he G6???? Give it proper taillamps, of good quailty(like the concept), emulate the concept's wheels, and totally revamp the dash/stack. Then you've got a winner.

I dont see why some of the concepts features could not be used ? Wider would be better but it cant be shorter, theres already a rearseat problem. I can see how narrower European chassis would be a problem for more track without new stampings for floorpan and engine frames but really ? how hard is that ? The rest is same parts bin. Still an expensive retool. Simply using deeper wheels increases stress on bearings, not an issue for a concept car but it is for one with 80,000 miles. As for HP, I just had the misfortune to witness a kinda dumb televised review of mid sedans and those V6's werent packin any kind of astonishing power. Myself, Ill be drivin 38's years from now and still be smilin, can I option out a GTP with the L32 and dat dar new stick tranny. Then I can go aftermarket and pump it up to 320 or so at the wheels. Oh well, know it alls, gotta have that 60* !

As in clay?

I guess it has been gone over a few times, some of the stuff on the concept is just not practical for manufacturing and use.

[post="52183"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

So the concept's taillamp is made out of clay? I fooled me, then. :blink: I know the body is, but isn't the taillamp a real one-off lamp? As I said, the concept's taillamps look 100X better thant he production's.

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but would it be too much to see the details from the concept car make it to production? The silver accents in the lower fascia, and in the grille bits, the body color mirrors, the beautiful wheels, and different projector lenses for the headlights? This is too beautiful, and would seriously help the G6, imo.

I think the car needs to get wider too, and the wheelbase should be a bit shorter overall than it is now. Finally, the rear deck is designed perfectly on the concept, let's work on translating that to production.

[post="52059"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree 100%!!

The devil is in the details, ESPECIALLY on a relatively subdued design like the G6.

The main problem with Epsilon is that its European-designed chassis is just too narrow. It makes the interiors cramped and the designs look pinched on the long-wheelbase versions.

[post="52098"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

So basically GM made the same FUNDAMENTAL design mistake that they made on the U-Bodies....

How about a little bit of COMMON SENSE in Detroit?

What was the U body mistake ? thats the Vans right ? based on the A bodys ?

[post="53364"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

They made them for Europe and America. As a result they were too wide for Euro tastes and were cancelled there after 3 years of sales. In America, they were some of the narrowest vans on the market.

Things I would like to see changed on the Malibu/G6 1) G6 name scrapped in favor of Grand Am 2) Better taillamp design on G6 3) Base 2.4 G6 coupe for $17995 4) Malibu LS to have the current 2.2, LT model to get the 2.4 170 hp engine, more hp for the big 3500 V6 5) Better quality cloth seat material for both and make the seats a tad softer 6) Other colors in the G6 other than black and tan which is getting so dull. 7) Keep the std rear spoilers for the G6 GT and GTP. Malibus are supposed to be less costly and except in SS form do not need this useless feature as std equipment as on the LTZ version. 8) Make a leather steering wheel std on the G6 GT as in the Malibu LT 9) Simplify the lineup on both versions. There are too many different model designations that makes it confusing as hell to get one the way you want it. 10) G6 needs to lose weight badly! 4 cylinder cars should not be over 3000 lbs and loaded 4 doors should be around 3200 lbs not 3500 plus!

What would make me happier in the case of the G6 is a better center stack, no plastic wood (I'd prefer metal/metallic trim, and, of course, twin cam engines.