Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Is there any collectability in a

1988 Volvo Bertone 780?

There is one sitting at a "Buy Here! Pay Here!" lot near me. I don't think the lot owner knows what he has.

It looks just like this:

780front.JPG

Doubtful.

But the earlier Bertone coupe would be collectible. You know, the one that looked like the roof was chopped from the factory.

The P1800s are worthwhile as well.

I love P1800 Estates, and have a feeling you're partial to them as well. There used to be a guy with a clean, original P1800 ES around here. He parked it outside, I always wanted to borrow a truck and haul it away.

Want

Edited by Satty

I love P1800 Estates, and have a feeling you're partial to them as well. There used to be a guy with a clean, original P1800 ES around here. He parked it outside, I always wanted to borrow a truck and haul it away.

You are correct!

Very cool little wagonish beast.

There used to be quite a few around here, but I suspect that the rust monster got them.

What? No Toronado? :P

Not for me to drive. It was just a curiosity since I've never seen one before. I thought that if it had some collectability and this guy didn't know what he had I could scoop it up on the cheap, clean it up, and E-bay it. It looks like it just needs a good scrub. It has 71k miles.

If it is decent and only has 71k, it might have some value independent of collectibility.

My guess is that it is largely unknown and kinda tough to sell, thus the low price at the dealer.

Those lots aren't big on making an effort to know the cars they sell.

Edited by Camino LS6

In the original post photo, you can see the rear quarter is a different color than the rest of the car, indicating at the very least, paint work, if not bodywork. Yes, I know that is not the exact car in question.

I actually saw an Earth Mother driving an old, 240-style silver sport model Volvo 2-door the other day in the local hippie food store parking lot. I was looking for quinoa cereal, but, to my everlasting chagrin, they dint have it.