Saab 9-5

Posted Image

2006 Saab 9-5
Look at Me: Saab wants your attention now to prepare you for big changes in the future
ANDREW LUU
Published Date: 12/5/05
2006 SAAB 9-5 2.3T
ON SALE: Spring
BASE PRICE: $34,100
POWERTRAIN: 2.3-liter, 260-hp, 258-lb-ft turbocharged I4; fwd, five-speed manual
CURB WEIGHT: 3470 lbs
0 to 62 MPH: 6.9 seconds (mfr.)
FUEL MILEAGE (EPA Combined): 23.53 mpg

There have been lots of reasons of late to take notice of Saab. First we got a completely new 9-3 sedan in 2003, follow­ed by a convertible version, and then the Subaru-based 9-2X. This year Saab introduced the 9-7X sport/utility vehicle, and a third 9-3 variant, the SportCombi wagon.

Did Saab’s flagship 9-5 sedan somehow get shuffled to the bottom amid all the new product frenzy? Well, sort of.

Saab has held steady with the 9-5, add-ing some horsepower here and tightening a few lines there every few years since the car’s introduction in 1999.

Now that same formula is applied for the new 2006 9-5 sedan and SportCombi because Saab has big plans for its priciest car offering. Plans so big it needs a few more years to sort it all out.

But first let’s look at what Saab fans will get to tide them over. Saab made 1367 changes to the 2006 9-5, which in North America will be called the 9-5 2.3T, reflecting a merging of the former Arc and Aero designations.

The car, which debuted at this year’s Frankfurt motor show, is now exclusively an Aero-spec model. All 9-5s get the Aero’s 2.3-liter turbocharged inline-four, now with 10 more horses totaling 260 hp. Torque remains unchanged at 258 lb-ft.

Shocks, springs and antiroll bars in the 9-5’s MacPherson strut front, multilink rear are retuned for sharper handling, and the rear track is widened six millimeters.

The new handling bits exert a subtle change to the car’s overall abilities. Acceleration is slightly more robust, particularly with the manual transmission model, which includes an overboost function that increases torque to 273 lb-ft under full-throttle duties. Turn-in feels crisper and driver feedback more immediate thanks to a slightly stiffer ride that pays only a slight penalty in ride quality.

The 9-5’s tightened bodywork is a lesson in subtlety with fresh sheetmetal from the A-pillar forward. Restyled headlights swoop higher to the edge of the hood, split by a revised grille, all inspired by the 2001 9X concept car at Frankfurt.

Designers drew a new rear bumper and taillight treatment for the car. The makeover closely resembles the previous 9-5’s distinguished profile, but manages to blend the shape into the modern era.

If all the changes don’t capture your attention, the 9-5’s lower base price of $34,100 might—that’s about $3,500 lower than a comparably equipped 2005 model. If the 9-5’s new price gets buyers en route to the Volvo, Audi or BMW dealership to take a detour to Saab, Saab can claim a small victory. And then in about four years when those same drivers are looking for something new, Saab will have addressed the 9-5’s biggest flaw, front-drive, with the introduction of all-wheel drive. That 9-5 will get V6 power, too.

For now Saab enthusiasts should be satisfied with what amounts to a faster, sharper, better-looking, and best of all more affordable 9-5. For the rest of us, all-wheel drive and V6 power can’t come soon enough.

I agree. I think the new 9-5, even though it's the same vehicle.. is still a very good looking car. It looks more modern now. Hopefully, people will start to realise that GM isn't trying to get rid of Saab's unique Sweedish style with it being designed under Opel's watch. It looks like they have a clear plan with where the brand is going stylistically. The new 9-5 AWD should be spectacular.

Why? The Benz C280 is 33k, the Audi A4 with the v-6 starts at 34k. The only thing I see that the Audi has over the 9-5 is 4wd, and they seem to adressing that in the next few years. Audi reliablity is garbage, and benz is no better. My father used to drive an E500 that was in the shop so much with brake and electrical issues that under the Minnesota lemon law, he got to return it. Ask a quattro owner (or any Audi owner) about c/v joints, or the four catalytic converters the cars have, or the electronic issues, and then run away. As for the "dated" comment, what other cars are you comparing it to? Edited by Palmer

AWD!! YES! .... although i wish i could make my 9K AWD. That 9-5 in a few years is going to be a killer! i cant wait for people to modify them! -Kaylan Marie

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know, I find the updated 9-5 to be a bit on the homely side. I liked the previous front and rear much better.

When will it be due to replacement?

[post="56501"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

rumors have it as an 08 intro as an 09...not good.

I think the platform currently serving duty uner the new Alfa 159 & Brera(& future wagon and crossover & Maseratis) was supposed to be shared with saab (9-5 replacement) and Opel (flagship).

Fiat got use of this platform in the divorce from GM. This is one of the reasons Alfa has a shot at returning to the States, as this platform was engineered from the outset for world markets.

It's now looking like the updated epsilon II platform will be the donor. (Keep your fingers crossed that the timeframe could allow the use of a Zeta platform with RWD/AWD)

So, this would give the 9-5 a real model timespan of, what 12 years? Amazing. After riding around and having the chance to drive my friend's close-to-loaded 2006 9-3 Aero this past weekend, I have to ask - what are you really getting for the extra $10-20k?

So, this would give the 9-5 a real model timespan of, what 12 years? Amazing.

After riding around and having the chance to drive my friend's close-to-loaded 2006 9-3 Aero this past weekend, I have to ask - what are you really getting for the extra $10-20k?

[post="64661"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

a fully loaded 2006 9-3 is no where near 10-12k difference between a 2006 9-5 fully loaded.

the 2006 9-5 fully optioned comes to like $43 and soem change. its more like a 3-5k difference