Any hope of Deville and Seville coming back?

Guest lance armstrong's Testicles

Guest lance armstrong's Testicles
with german and asian rivals? I just cant help but think they are throwing away alot by using 3 letter nonsense names similar to my pontiac rant, but here its certainly more valid.

Doesn't seem to be alienating anyone. The people who have always had Devilles still go right back to the Caddy dealer and know for sure what car to look for, regardless of the name--and are thrilled with the improvements. Same for the STS, only even a lot more people are looking at them, because it's a RWD/AWD, V6/V8, highly styled luxury sedan, and not just some kind of a smaller, firmer riding FWD Deville. So, in truth, the names aren't hurting one bit...and actually are liked by most people, especially the first time Caddy buyers.

I like SRX and STS, CTS is a bit too dry and XLR is very ambiguous and not very sexy... sounds like an SUV actaully... XtraLaRge. DTS is just horrific... it should be Deville and I really wiht Eldorado was back. One of the sexier names ever for a Cadillac was always CoupeDeVille... Eldorado Biaritz is damn good too. :wub:

Names that evok images of shuffleboard and nursing homes, or 70's platform shoes and polyester disco suits.

GM has to sell to people who live in this century.

[post="58899"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

PRECISELY. As hard as it can be for some to trully believe, if Caddy is to be really successful in selling to a new audience, they have to overcome the "grandparents" stigma that a lot of younger buyers still have programmed in their mind.

Knowing that grandpa always bought a new Deville every year or two, loading it up with whitewalls and a nasty cloth top, isn't going to make a 30 year old want one, no matter how nice the new styling or features are. That being said, changing the name to DTS doesn't make a monumental difference, but it does make things seem fresher and more this decade, than old and stuffy.

In a world where E-classes and 3-series reign, the names Deville and Seville just don't cut it. The only exception is the Escalade, purely because it was introduced AND proved itself with a younger, hipper generation right from day one.

the reason behind letters is because no one but the enthusiasts care to remember them... they just remember the badge... like the other day i saw a lexus on the side of the road... it blew its tranny, because the powersteering feel of and bounced off the ground and took his tranny out too... all i could say... look at that lexus broken down... i dont know the coupes number/name whatever... soo... it's just for brand recognition... hey did you see that Mercedies... did you see that BMW? sure some people might understand if you said Woo... 745! wow! or SL65! DAMN! but when you own a MB or a BMW or a Lexus, you care about... the brand you want to be prestige... you want people to know you have that kind of make... and if someone might say, ohh you got a camry... who makes camry again? Chevy? (and dont laugh cause i've had people ask that)

• 1 month later...
Oh my God! Vinyl top? How old are you? 80?

Their should still be an Eldorado and a Coupe Deville. There is nothing wrong with that name. You see a lot of younger people around where I live driving Eldo's and there is nothing like a sweet Coupe Deville vinyl top and whitewalls and spokes and all.

[post="90438"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

• 4 weeks later...
I don't see why they should come back. At the end of 2004 my grandpa decided that he was going to finally trade in his 1991 Olds 98 on a brand new deville. He had always wanted a deville and since this will probably be the last car he ever buys he thought, what the heck who cares how much its costs. He went to the local dealer ready to buy and found a b-e-a-utiful deville in white diamond with every option you could get. The dealer told him that it was actually a DHS, and that cadillac was dropping the deville name on the upper-trim models that year. Do you think he cared, no. So there you have it, a man that had been dreamin of his deville for years gets a dhs and couldn't give a shit.

• 1 month later...
Only GM does the name flip flops! The STS and CTS type of monikers are fine for Caddy if they want to attract import loving Americans but I don't see the reasoning to changing Grand Am to G6 or Sunfire to G5. Who do GM think they are fooling!! A Camry was a Camry 10 years ago and will be a Camry 20 years from now. An Accord will be the same. Look how long the Corolla has been around. If GM would make the freaking car correct the first time then they wouldn't have to try to change names on a vehicle to get folks to forget the past pieces of junk. But leave it to GM to name a car after a milk brand!! Lucerne!

I don't see why they should come back.  At the end of 2004 my grandpa decided that he was going to finally trade in his 1991 Olds 98 on a brand new deville.  He had always wanted a deville and since this will probably be the last car he ever buys he thought, what the heck who cares how much its costs.  He went to the local dealer ready to buy and found a b-e-a-utiful deville in white diamond with every option you could get.  The dealer told him that it was actually a DHS, and that cadillac was dropping the deville name on the upper-trim models that year.  Do you think he cared, no.  So there you have it, a man that had been dreamin of his deville for years gets a dhs and couldn't give a shit.

[post="109858"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

you mean DTS...

Actually he means DHS as he stated. The DHS was the mid-line trim level between the base Deville and the DTS before they dropped the Deville name altogether.

you mean DTS...

[post="138661"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Edited by ellives

One thing I know about Caddy fans, those who truly BUY new ones, they proudly call their cars CADILLACS. They don't say "I got a DeVille". Eldo was maby the only name that stood out. Sure DeVille goes back years, but true owners call the cars Caddy. The ones crying maybe drive a 92 Century or a 95 Cutlass and memorize trvial names and models. In fact, Cadillac is back to its true roots of model #'s, as they were when they were an independant car company in the early 1900's. So that is what matters.

I agree mrmonte eldorado and deville names should have been kept instead of the stupid names they are using now. Same thing with the other divisions quit changing the names of the cars every time they restyle them.