The G6 gets a window tint job...

After seeing gm4life's Pontiac Torrent get an aftermarket window tint job and how satisfied he was with it, and remembering Walt doing the same thing with one of his cars a while back, I decided to bite the bullet and get the wife's 2008 Pontiac G6 V6 Sedan tinted too. NJ law doesn't allow front window tinting of any percentage, so just the rear doors and rear window received a 15% tint (I considered the 35% limo tint, but was told you can't see out of the windows at night and figured it wouldn't be safe for the wife to operate). Anyway, for those that care, here are some pictures:

BEFORE

DSCN1155.jpg

AFTER

DSCN1173.jpg

BEFORE

DSCN1156.jpg

AFTER

DSCN1180.jpg

BEFORE

DSCN1157.jpg

AFTER

DSCN1174.jpg

And some additional 'after' shots that I didn't have 'before shots' of for a comparison:

DSCN1177.jpg

DSCN1179.jpg

So far no problems to report; tomorrow will be two weeks since the work has been done and it still looks good. The tint is helping to keep the car cooler on the inside, the little guy likes it darker without the sun bothering him as he sits in the back, and I like how it looks on the car (yes, I know it would look better if all of the windows could have been tinted, but I don't want inspection problems or issues from the police). Enjoy!!

After seeing gm4life's Pontiac Torrent get an aftermarket window tint job and how satisfied he was with it, and remembering Walt doing the same thing with one of his cars a while back, I decided to bite the bullet and get the wife's 2008 Pontiac G6 V6 Sedan tinted too. NJ law doesn't allow front window tinting of any percentage, so just the rear doors and rear window received a 15% tint (I considered the 35% limo tint, but was told you can't see out of the windows at night and figured it wouldn't be safe for the wife to operate). Anyway, for those that care, here are some pictures:

(snip)

So far no problems to report; tomorrow will be two weeks since the work has been done and it still looks good. The tint is helping to keep the car cooler on the inside, the little guy likes it darker without the sun bothering him as he sits in the back, and I like how it looks on the car (yes, I know it would look better if all of the windows could have been tinted, but I don't want inspection problems or issues from the police). Enjoy!!

Looks good.

For the bolded reasons, I may have to consider doing this myself.

Looks good.

For the bolded reasons, I may have to consider doing this myself.

If you don't have the auto-dimming inside-review mirror, once you have the rear window tinted car lights at night are no longer an issue (at least for me). My AURA has the auto-dimming mirror and I love it; the G6 doesn't and I hated that it lacked this feature. Now with the tint, headlight glare is not a problem anymore. And even in bright sunlight, the windows are dark enough to make sitting in the back (for my little guy) bearable (he used to complain about being 'hot' from the sun).

Somehow it just doesn't look right on a sedan like it would have wagon or SUV/CUV. I would have done all the windows (and I will). But if you're happy with it that's all that matters.

I want to check into New Jersey inspection laws regarding the front windows and how they determine if a window is tinted. If I could get away with a 5% tint job for the two front door windows, I'm going to get it done. I know the %5 isn't as dark as the 15%, but it would help cut down on the brightness and it would blend in better than not being tinted.

with that paint and chrome wheels, this is by far the best looking G6 i have EVER seen. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the compliment! This was all the wife's choosing, as it's her car, so she deserves the credit. I had found a G6 GT at anoter dealership not as loaded as this V6 Sedan, but it was in the Performance Red Metallic color that I liked (the wife, not so much). The dealership we purchased from did have some V6 Sedans in the red, but once my wife saw the White Diamond Tintcoat, she was hooked. At first I wasn't thrilled with the color, but I quickly grew to like it. All shiny and clean, I think this car looks more expensive than it is (IMO, I know not everyone thinks this way).

Actually 5% is darker than 15%, I know this as I've had many a run in with Police over the years due to having tinted windows, and I've never had a lower percentage than 20. I had to remove the 20% tint on my front doors on my Riviera for being too dark, and the officer said 35% was acceptable. I live in NY, so I would check your local laws, but 5% is basically limo tint.

Edited by Delta Force79

Oops... my bad! I got my numbers mixed up then. So I got the 15% on the rear windows and may get the 35% if I know it won't fail me for NJ State Inspection (I'm not worried about the police as much since it won't be a dark tint). Thanks for correcting me, at least now I know I'll be saying the right thing! :lol:

Looks good Roger :AH-HA_wink:

My G8 is exactly the same with only the rear windows done, and I believe with 20%--they're "black" and I'm so glad I had the Jersey dealer get it done for me. Same laws in DE as NJ. Though it looks perfect from the outside, in the light on mine I'm not pleased with the scratches and marks on the inside tint of both back doors, but alas--I'll get it re-done someday, somewhere.

Good move. Keeps the car cooler (definitely), looks much better, and even with the fronts still clear, keeps some light and heat out of the front as well. On my car with the black interior, that plus the rear tint fools you into thinking the fronts are also done, which I quite like.

Now, as for the black/black/black Caddy...I recommend the same at some point 8)

White cars with dark windows look great, your Pontiac is certainly no exception. I too would have gone the full monty and gotten my front windows done, but being the law-abiding citizen that you are (don't want a teacher with a record! ;-) it looks fine.