BigPontiac

1962 Chevy Nova 2dr HT WAGON

80 posts in this topic

I like how he retained the hardtop during the conversion.

I looked at a '62 Grand Prix wagon phantom and the lack of hardtop is what really ruined it for me.

post-236-1250985464.jpg

Edited by BigPontiac

Very cool wagon. What would have really made it *click* for me, though, is if the C pillar matched the angle of the B, or even been a bit steeper.

Very cool wagon. What would have really made it *click* for me, though, is if the C pillar matched the angle of the B, or even been a bit steeper.

It probably wouldn't have been cheaper to build, though. You'd have to modify the liftgate to fit.

I think it looks better with the stock Nova wagon roofline anyway. It's a very convincing piece of work. Someone who might not know all that much about cars wouldn't know that this is a one-off job and might mistake it for a factory piece.

Edited by whiteknight

Heh, that is an old-skool wagon, son, it ain't got no "liftgate", it's got a proper let-down tailgate with a roll-down, frameless back window. The window regulator mechanism would need to be modified for the steeper angle, but that don't seem like a big thang.

It's beautiful work as it is, it's just that my sense of "correct" style dictates that the rearmost pillar be at a faster angle than an intermediate one. I'd still rock it though, make no mistake.

Heh, that is an old-skool wagon, son, it ain't got no "liftgate", it's got a proper let-down tailgate with a roll-down, frameless back window. The window regulator mechanism would need to be modified for the steeper angle, but that don't seem like a big thang.

:duh:

Love those '64/'65 2-door Chevelle wagons!

Yup, this Nova is a smaller phantom of those.

I went to DMV today and I'm still unclear if this could pass inspection. All I got from the inspector was "I'd have to see the car"...they may consider it a '62 Nova or they could consider it a "composite," which is much worse. There's also a new regulation about drivetrain that went into effect 8/1/08 where the emissions counts for the year of the motor (purchased pre-8/1/08 is grandfathered...and only matters if composite). I'm trying to verify with the seller when the motor was purchased, what percentage tint the windows are and how loud the exhaust is. Not so promising so far...

Std Regs

Composite Regs

Anyone wanna guess at the tint percentage from the pics?

Also, any ideas on what kind/brand of muffler this is?

DSC00159-1.jpg

Exhaust appears to be Spiral Turbos which might squeak by the sound test. Window tint is supposedly legal in WA state and their regs match CT. More digging needed...

The less you tell the DMV, the better.

I'm looking for major show stoppers in a worst case scenario. I'd hate to buy an expensive paperweight I couldn't drive...

understood.

But, I can't see anyone at a DMV even realizing that this car is a phantom. It still is a '62 Nova after all.

In PA, that's all they would know.

understood.

But, I can't see anyone at a DMV even realizing that this car is a phantom. It still is a '62 Nova after all.

In PA, that's all they would know.

The phatom part isn't really my concern. The TCI front and rear independent suspension set-up, Wilwood 4-wheel disc brakes and the LS1 motor could kick it into "street rod" territory. Standard inspection for an antique is includes brakes, etc (their fav fail point is cracked front brake hoses). During that process, they could decided a more in-depth inspection is necessary.

It also appears outside rear view mirrors were optional in '62...I need a brochure to validate...but that would help as well.

DMV / state codes will tell them when sideviews were required- the burden of proof should not be on you. Fed mandates didn't start until '66.

Agree with Camino : body-wise it's a '62 Chevy Nova wagon. End of info stream.

Suspension-wise, upgrading should not move the car into 'street rod' territory in the least, but I have no idea the state of 'Nazi-ism' in CT.

DMV / state codes will tell them when sideviews were required- the burden of proof should not be on you. Fed mandates didn't start until '66.

Agree with Camino : body-wise it's a '62 Chevy Nova wagon. End of info stream.

Suspension-wise, upgrading should not move the car into 'street rod' territory in the least, but I have no idea the state of 'Nazi-ism' in CT.

I posted the CT regs earlier on in this thread. I was all gung-ho until I saw that "composite" category and the 8/1/08 drivetrain/emissions change.

The inspector I talked told me it would have to meet code for 1962 and matter of factly stated a 62 had to have a side mirror when I specifically asked. I'd like to validate that somehow...

"The plan" assuming no snags occur to derail the purchase process, is to walk in and run it through inspection as a '62 Wagon and see what happens. I've also lined up borrowing my friend's car trailer in the event this plan fails and I need to tweak things to pass inspection. It's pretty stock looking, so I'm hoping to get lucky...

>>"I'd like to validate that somehow..."<<

Print this out:

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/main.php?g2...ageViewsIndex=1

Under 'Optional Equipment' : Backup lights, inside non-glare and outside rearview mirrors were part of the Comfort & Convenience Package on the Nova 400.

It's a Chevy : a brand-new repro sideview is practically on the shelf @ all the chain autoparts stores. :wink:

>>"I'd like to validate that somehow..."<<

Print this out:

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/main.php?g2...ageViewsIndex=1

Under 'Optional Equipment' : Backup lights, inside non-glare and outside rearview mirrors were part of the Comfort & Convenience Package on the Nova 400.

It's a Chevy : a brand-new repro sideview is practically on the shelf @ all the chain autoparts stores. :wink:

Thanks. I kind of like how clean it looks without the mirrors, but if I have to put one on it's a pretty easy fix. The back-up lights info is also useful. I may just buy a brochure on e-bay and bring it with me to inspection in the event they challenge me.