Camino LS6

So Who knows New Hampshire?

51 posts in this topic

It's beautiful, quiet, gets a lot of snow. That's the most I can offer. I was only there to frequently visit my friend who went to Dartmouth.

Things I know about NH: They have higher property taxes as opposed to sales taxes. Fireworks are legal in some parts of the state (not Hampton, f@#kers). I believe that, unlike in MA, of someone breaks into your house and you defend yourself, the scum can't press charges against you.

Also you don't need a license to buy a gun, and you can carry a handgun or revolver around so long as its in an exposed holster. You do need a license to carry it concealed, or in your car.

And here's a wiki on NH.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Hampshire

New Hampshire is an alcoholic beverage control state, and through the State Liquor Commission it takes in $100 million from the sale and distribution of liquor.[25] The state also leads the country in per capita sales of all forms of alcohol.[26] Much of the high rate of sale, however, is attributable to out-of-state consumers who take advantage of the state liquor stores' advantageous pricing and absence of sales tax.

LOL

Seems like it would be a nice place to vacation, lots of scenery and mountains, and it's close to Canada. I went though the edge of it on a vacation about 15 years ago heading to Maine from the Boston area.

I live in NH and love it; what do you want to know?

Everything.

But start with why you love it.

Edited by Camino LS6

Well, let's see.

-no state income tax

-no state sales tax

-cheap insurance rates

-low unemployment rates (we're riding the storm out pretty good compared to most other states)

-people for the most part are very real, polite, and down to earth, and have a live & let live attitude about others

-beautiful surroundings (like the rest of New England, the vast majority of New Hampshire towns could have come out of a Norman Rockwell painting)

-tons of history

-if you like the outdoors, pretty much the entire state is your playground for camping, fishing, hunting, hiking, mountain biking, etc.

I could go into detail more if you could narrow down a region you're considering moving to. I live in southeast New Hampshire (Milford to be exact). Most towns here are far away enough from stuff to be quiet and peaceful and secluded but close enough to not have to drive more than 15-20 minutes for big town conveniences (grocery stores, pharmacies, good restaurants, etc.). It's an hour east to the coast with beautiful beaches in Rye and Hampton, or if you want to hop over the border into Maine, you can be at York or Ogunquit in another 15-20 minutes. An hour or so north puts you into the White Mountains and Lake Winnepesaukee region, an hour or so west brings you out to the Keene area (another 20 minutes west sends you over the Connecticut River into Brattleboro and the Green Mountains of Vermont), and an hour south will put you in Boston, MA if you want to spend a day in the big city for shopping, seeing a major league sporting event, etc. I can't think of another region in this neck of the woods where such a short amount of travel time in any giventdirection will give you such completely different options. It's pretty neat to be able to choose the ocean, the mountains, the lakes region, the city, or one of a million other different things and be there in a short amount of time. Hell, even Canada's not so far away.

That's what I have to start with. Once again, if you can name some towns or a county or something you're considering I can get deeper into it.

New Hampshire is a little slice of the South nestled in New England. Very low taxes, but atrocious public schools. Quite rural, but very pretty mountains.

Thanks alot, XP.

I haven't narrowed the possibilities yet, but I expect to need to pick your brain as I do.

Trivial question: Front license plates? or not?

Doesn't seem to be much in the way of public gardens in NH, which is what I'm leaning toward as far as employment goes.

Lots of things to think about, but I think the state may be exactly where I want to be.

Two plates are issued, you'll need a front for state inspection, but you can leave it off the other 364 days a year and nobody will say boo about it.

Man I want no front play on my car. :(

Can you buy/sell plates in Mass? Get one of the old green and white plates... they came as singletons.

I like NH, as well, and it will be on my short list when South Jersey finishes turning into North Jersey. The Freestate project rocks.

Camino you should move to southern NH. I'm like 5 minutes from the border. :P

At first glance, that seems to be a good part of the state.

I want to do some research and visiting as soon as I can.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room