'06 Camry solid

regfootball

Just getting farther away with poor lighting doesn't make it's plastic any less hard and cheap.  That picture just includes a view of the seats, which admittedly look pretty nice, and distract your view from the crappy dash materials (which are shown in the "real world" picture that I posted) . I don't think the one I sat in at the Auto show even had leather seats.  It was all just abysmal gray in there.  Then I touched and knocked on the dash, and it just felt as cheap as the Durango or Cherokee.  I was fully expecting the new Camry and an expensive 4Runner to have a "world class" interior....because of all the propaganda that I read in the auto rags.  Flat out, Toyota interiors are no better than domestics as far as meterials.  Interior design however, is subjectve, and people will always disagree on that point.

[post="80486"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I, too, was pretty unimpressed with the 4Runner. The Camry, though, is nice.

Just getting farther away with poor lighting doesn't make it's plastic any less hard and cheap.  That picture just includes a view of the seats, which admittedly look pretty nice, and distract your view from the crappy dash materials (which are shown in the "real world" picture that I posted) . I don't think the one I sat in at the Auto show even had leather seats.  It was all just abysmal gray in there.  Then I touched and knocked on the dash, and it just felt as cheap as the Durango or Cherokee.  I was fully expecting the new Camry and an expensive 4Runner to have a "world class" interior....because of all the propaganda that I read in the auto rags.  Flat out, Toyota interiors are no better than domestics as far as meterials.  Interior design however, is subjectve, and people will always disagree on that point.

[post="80486"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The picture you posted of the 4Runner interior was at a horrible angle with harsh lighting, and the gearknob was missing. sciguy's is much more "real world". Secondly, the 4Runner is going on 4 years old, so the fact that it still beats the Durango is pretty sad. Finally, the Durango starts at $28.8k; the 4Runner is $27.6, without the hideous black bumpers.

The picture you posted of the 4Runner interior was at a horrible angle with harsh lighting, and the gearknob was missing. sciguy's is much more "real world". Secondly, the 4Runner is going on 4 years old, so the fact that it still beats the Durango is pretty sad. Finally, the Durango starts at $28.8k; the 4Runner is $27.6, without the hideous black bumpers.

[post="80600"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Who said it beats the Durango?.....you and the other Toyoites?....or maybe the GM fans?? My sister has a Durango, and it's very nice inside. I think it looks better than the mid 90's look of the 4Runner.

Who said it beats the Durango?.....you and the other Toyoites?....or maybe the GM fans??  My sister has a Durango, and it's very nice inside.  I think it looks better than the mid 90's look of the 4Runner.

[post="80833"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Durango isn't bad inside..unfortunately, the outside is hideous.

Who said it beats the Durango?.....you and the other Toyoites?....or maybe the GM fans??  My sister has a Durango, and it's very nice inside.  I think it looks better than the mid 90's look of the 4Runner.

[post="80833"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

This wasn't about looks, it was about interior materials. And you'd make more friends if you didn't automatically reject someone's critique of a Chrysler product as "Toyota propaganda".

"Proof" that Malibu beats Camry in reliability and quality? Almost any survey will tell you that. Check J.D. Power for the last several years, or government sites for recalls or other problems being investigated and you'll see how things are going. I can't say theat the Camry is getting worse over the years, but it is not keeping up with the segment. Malibu, Sonata and others are the midsize segment leaders, Regal/Century among the premium midsizers. Accord and Camry don't even get a look in and haven't for years. Edited by thegriffon

This wasn't about looks, it was about interior materials. And you'd make more friends if you didn't automatically reject someone's critique of a Chrysler product as "Toyota propaganda".

[post="80849"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Critique?? You said the 4Runner's interior beats the Durango based on a picture and your preference for shapes. I said that the 4Runner and the new Camry had just as crappy of interior materials based on me sitting in them and touching them at the Auto Show.

I am not going to help perpetuate the myth that Japanese car interiors always blow away their American competitors when it certainly is not true! And you guys can say what you want about Chrysler interiors, but as many people have pointed out, they don't usually get ripped in magazine reviews. Maybe there is a reason why?

I only mentioned the Durango (actually, someone else brought it up) because my sister has one, and I haven't been in many Trailblazers or Explorers. Actually, I take that back, a friend has an Envoy which is also nicer than the 4Runner. Like I said earlier, I really expected Toyota interiors to be top notch, and way nicer than their American competition......and from what I saw they were not.

will someone PLEASE explain to me why it even matyters how big the gap is between body panels? Why doesi t matter if its 4 mm or 2 mm? Everyone knows the panels are ojined at thosel ines. IT has to allow for expansion and contraction, it has to be spaced enough in minor accidents to avoid damaging unneccessary panels...why does it matter if that gap is wider in domestics? The bumper isnt oging to fall off. a wider gap is actually a better idea when youre tlakiong about a car. Its not like it poses any sort of hazard or anything. This is the sort of anality that makes people feel superior when they buy a japanese car. Its not superior, its just being a critical ass.

will someone PLEASE explain to me why it even matyters how big the gap is between body panels?  Why doesi t matter if its 4 mm or 2 mm?  Everyone knows the panels are ojined at thosel ines.  IT has to allow for expansion and contraction, it has to be spaced enough in minor accidents to avoid damaging unneccessary panels...why does it matter if that gap is wider in domestics? The bumper isnt oging to fall off.  a wider gap is actually a better idea when youre tlakiong about a car.  Its not like it poses any sort of hazard or anything. This is the sort of anality that makes people feel superior when they buy a japanese car. Its not superior, its just being a critical ass.

[post="80946"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Obviously you haven't seen the Buick Lucerne ads yet... or the Malibu ads two years ago. Both brands pride themselves on how tight their panel gaps are; interestingly, I've never seen the same from import brands.

Personally I prefer thicker sheetmetal to tighter gaps... the two seem to be a dichotomy.

will someone PLEASE explain to me why it even matyters how big the gap is between body panels?  Why doesi t matter if its 4 mm or 2 mm?  Everyone knows the panels are ojined at thosel ines.  IT has to allow for expansion and contraction, it has to be spaced enough in minor accidents to avoid damaging unneccessary panels...why does it matter if that gap is wider in domestics? The bumper isnt oging to fall off.  a wider gap is actually a better idea when youre tlakiong about a car.  Its not like it poses any sort of hazard or anything. This is the sort of anality that makes people feel superior when they buy a japanese car. Its not superior, its just being a critical ass.

It's about seamlessness...