'06 Camry solid

regfootball

"As for safety, one might think Toyota would give all its family oriented Camry sedans standard front side air bags and head-protecting curtain side air bags. After all, both types of air bags are standard on the Kia compact economy car, which starts at $10,570. However, those bags are a $650 option for all Camry sedans."

suntimes
Let's hope not. Cars such as the new Ford Fusion cost less, are just as practical and are far more fun to drive.

[post="61225"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, until you sit inside and feel the cheap plastics and misaligned body panels, then the old saying comes in handy "you get what you pay for" Also, the Camry kills the Fusion in resale value.

Yes, until you sit inside and feel the cheap plastics and misaligned body panels, then the old saying comes in handy "you get what you pay for"  Also, the Camry kills the Fusion in resale value.

[post="61383"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Funny, not one review has complained about the Fusion interior. :rolleyes:

Yes, until you sit inside and feel the cheap plastics and misaligned body panels, then the old saying comes in handy "you get what you pay for"  Also, the Camry kills the Fusion in resale value.

you obviously haven't sat in a fusion yet. its put together quite nicely ln the inside.

you obviously haven't sat in a fusion yet.  its put together quite nicely ln the inside.

[post="61517"][/post]

And the outside. The cars I checked out earlier this winter at the dealer had no mis-aligned trim and small panel gaps in the doors. It looked solid. The only complaint I have read about fit and finish on the Fusion was one auto mag that said the hood seemed like it was unlatched because the gap was so large between the chrome bars and the hood...but if you go look at it in person it's really a nagging complaint because the gaps on the hood are fairly small...it's just that the recessed bars make the hood seem unlatched from some angles.

Polish Kris, have you even seen a Fusion up close yet? You seem to be speculating based on opinion rather than first-hand experience.

Pics from last October
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

What a shame. Ignorant statements like that make me crazy. Have you sat in or driven a Fusion, or any of the triplets? The car's caps are very tight, and the interioro fit and finish is excellent. There aren't any cheap or hard plastics, and the stack's ergonomics are just as good as the Camry's. I guess because they're selling the car at a great value to the Camry it must be cheap, huh? But when the Sonata does it (and also has good fit and finish), they're brilliant and a great value. Yet, if the Fusion was the same price as the Camry, it'd be "overpriced" then, huh? The domestics will never win with views like yours. And as far as resale value, the cars BRAND NEW!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

[post="61535"][/post]

Gosh, that Milan looks beautiful. The Zephyr isn't bad, either... I like the cowl area, how the hood meets with the windshield and fenders. The Fusion is less of a looker without the 17" machined alloys and black paint, but as I recall, it's still fine close up.

I have a feeling the '06 Fusion will beat the '06 Camry in residual value, considering the Toyota is a lame duck, and many are sold as rentals.

Talk about being close minded, wait til the car comes out, and sit in it, drive it, then comment on it.

[post="57909"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Funny, not one review has complained about the Fusion interior.  :rolleyes:

[post="61463"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

read the Car and Driver issue when they compare the Fusion with the Accord, Sonata, and Camry, and the January issue of Motor Trend when they are choosing the Car of the Year. They both, especially Motor Trend were not satisfied with the cost cutting interior. Better yet, why don't you sit in it yourself?

But when the Sonata does it (and also has good fit and finish), they're brilliant and a great value.  Yet, if the Fusion was the same price as the Camry, it'd be "overpriced" then, huh?  The domestics will never win with views like yours.  And as far as resale value, the cars BRAND NEW!

[post="61550"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Sonata is okay, but there are still some areas which are pretty cheap on the inside. But it's a far better car which was ten years ago.

I have a feeling the '06 Fusion will beat the '06 Camry in residual value, considering the Toyota is a lame duck, and many are sold as rentals.

[post="61724"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's ok to dream.

We've already talked about rental sales in another forum and it was amazing. GM and Ford's midsizers wish they don't see as many rental lots as they do.

It's ok to dream.

We've already talked about rental sales in another forum and it was amazing.  GM and Ford's midsizers wish they don't see as many rental lots as they do.

[post="62214"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Uh, right...

Either way, the Camry is a lame duck, and lame ducks always depreciate heavily once the new model arrives. And AFAIK, fleet sale info for MY 2006 models aren't available yet, and I see a damn sight more rental Camrys than Fusions (none).

It's ok to dream.

We've already talked about rental sales in another forum and it was amazing.  GM and Ford's midsizers wish they don't see as many rental lots as they do.

[post="62214"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Five Hundred only had 10.6% (as did the Mustang) and the Montego only had 4.2% in the first 6 months of 2005 for fleet sales. Meanwhile, the Toyota Camry sold 14% to fleets, and it sells nearly four times more than the Five Hundred. I'd say Ford has done a pretty good job of keeping new vehicles from fleets, and I see no reason why it won't continue with the Fusion. 10.6% seems to be the limit Ford has set for the new vehicles. I remember a figure from a while ago that Five Hundred resale value was 47% higher than the Taurus just due to the limiting of fleet sales.

From one of my earlier posts:
Fleet Sales for the First 6 Months of 2005 Edited by mustang84

[SIZE=1][SIZE=1][SIZE=1]

Uh, right...

Either way, the Camry is a lame duck, and lame ducks always depreciate heavily once the new model arrives. And AFAIK, fleet sale info for MY 2006 models aren't available yet, and I see a damn sight more rental Camrys than Fusions (none).

[post="62247"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

there's ALWAYS a camry at the hertz by my place.

Guest gmrebirth

Uh, right...

[post="62247"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Too bad there are other cars that take the fleet sale crown. The Impala won the "prestigious" award as being fleet car of the year. The Malibu sells pretty high to fleets as well. Even the Pontiac G6 sells higher to fleets than the Camry.

Sure, the Five Hundred sells lower than the Camry percentage-wise, but not by much. The Fusion obviously cannot have any reasonable fleet sales right now because production still has not ramped up enough.

Obviously you'd see more rental Camrys, as the Camry sells in huge volume, compared to the Fusion which has only been out for a few months.

Too bad there are other cars that take the fleet sale crown. The Impala won the "prestigious" award as being fleet car of the year.

[post="62666"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Impala did not win FCOTY'06 because of fleet sales volume. Sales volume had nothing to do with who won. Over 50 other domestics & imports were just as eligible to win:

New Chevy Impala and Ford F-150 Win Fleet Segment Awards

The Impala was selected from among 53 domestic- and import-brand vehicles, and chosen number one because of "passenger comfort, fuel economy, cargo room, safety, performance, and price."

Besides, the Chrysler 300 won FCOTY'05 and it's still holding resale value even though Thrifty Rental is overflowing with them.

Fair enough, but there is no denying the embarassing percentage of Impalas going to fleet sales.

[post="63026"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah and I'm gettin' SICK of ALL the rental Impalas around me here in socal....

No seriously.....I really like the SS, and have been DYING to find an LTZ to look at....but every FRIGGIN Impala I see in a lot or on the road is an LS or LT with the rental barcode in the rear window....and they are all white, silver, or grey.

AARRGGHH

"The Camry is for dispassionate auto buyers who just want reliable, economical transportation" I have a problem with this line. The current camry has not proven to be as reliable as even the old Malibu. Time for these writers to get caught up with the times.

Yeah and I'm gettin' SICK of ALL the rental Impalas around me here in socal....

No seriously.....I really like the SS, and have been DYING to find an LTZ to look at....but every FRIGGIN Impala I see in a lot or on the road is an LS or LT with the rental barcode in the rear window....and they are all white, silver, or grey.

AARRGGHH

[post="63075"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I know what you mean... today I saw first first non-rental Impala. It was a black SS with polished wheels, and it looked pretty damn good.

"The Camry is for dispassionate auto buyers who just want reliable, economical transportation"

I have a  problem with this line.  The current camry has not proven to be as reliable as even the old Malibu.  Time for these writers to get caught up with the times.

[post="63096"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Some proof, please.

Some proof, please.

[post="63181"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Maybe not exactly "proof" of the Camry's downfall in quality, but CarSurvey.org is a fairly decent website to show what problems owners are having with various vehicles.

These are for 2005 models only...go check back into 2002 and 2001 and it gets even worse

Acceptable, but this is my last Camry

Most important, I cannot get the dealer to balance the tires-wheels to eliminate flutter. This has been a problem with two different sets of tires, more recently with high-end Turanza LS-H tires.

Dealer says it is the tires. I believe the data now show it is the wheels or something mechanical.

Spoke with Toyota corporate, and the woman suggested that I might have to go back to the Goodyear Integrity tires to get good balance. You can decide whether you believe THAT is good advice.

Separately, the service manager at the dealer acknowledged that some of the parts are cheaper and have to be replaced. Notably cheap is the plastic flap on the console storage compartment. Before you buy, flip it up and down a number of times to form you own opinion.

My hypothesis is that Toyota might feel it cannot afford the expense of higher quality, with Hyundai breathing down its neck.

PS

This car does not seem to have the acceleration of an identical 2002 that I had.

What happened to Toyota's Quality?

Well, at high speeds on the highway, the front end shakes and vibrates like it's off-balance or something. I've taken it back to the unhelpful dealer 5 times in this one year to have it looked at, and each time they say they've fixed it, but it starts doing it again. Also, there is something loose in the front end that makes a horrible knocking, rattling noise that I've never been able to find. Dealer is useless, they just tell me that

I'm imagining things, and that nothing could go wrong with Toyota's "flawless" cars. Well, I think Toyota is getting so swelled up with pride that they're starting to slip up. I wish they would actually look into my concerns.

The car is bulky and difficult to maneuver. The rear windshield is just placed way too high up, making it hard to tell if I'm going to back up into something or not.

Engine runs a little rough, sometimes making little pinging noises like a diesel engine.

Meanwhile, compare with what they were saying about the 2004+ Malibu...there was only one really negative review, and all the rest were fairly positive...much more so than the Camry reviews of the current generation.

I truly believe Camry quality on the current generation is overhyped...if you can't trust the owners, who can you trust?

I truly believe Camry quality on the current generation is overhyped...if you can't trust the owners, who can you trust?

[post="63206"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Agreed fully. Compared to the 1997 or even 1992 Camry. the 2002 showed absolutely no real progress. If anything, a regression in terms of interior design, materials, and styling. Take a look at the '02's interior, which looks as if it was designed to accomodate a bench seat, for example.

Agreed fully. Compared to the 1997 or even 1992 Camry. the 2002 showed absolutely no real progress. If anything, a regression in terms of interior design, materials, and styling. Take a look at the '02's interior, which looks as if it was designed to accomodate a bench seat, for example.

[post="63245"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I actually think the 92 Camry looks really nice. IMO, 92-96 Camry were the best looking Camrys ever made. Styling went south with the 97 model. Toyota actually made some good looking car in the early and mid 90s.

Maybe not exactly "proof" of the Camry's downfall in quality, but CarSurvey.org is a fairly decent website to show what problems owners are having with various vehicles.

These are for 2005 models only...go check back into 2002 and 2001 and it gets even worse
Meanwhile, compare with what they were saying about the 2004+ Malibu...there was only one really negative review, and all the rest were fairly positive...much more so than the Camry reviews of the current generation.

I gotta agree, Toyota makes good cars, but their dealer service, is the worst I have ever seen in my life!!!!!! The article about the guy who's front end is shaking, is simply either tire balancing, or the mechanic has to regrease the CV-boots... that's all, except you can't tell a Toyota mechanic what to do, cause he knows better thatn you :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

That doesn't necessarily prove anything, considering the owners of those vehicles could've been posting their negative experience on the vehicle. These types of results are too small to really get a good idea on how a vehicle performs, and how do we know they aren't making it up? You can register on their & say anything you want.

That doesn't necessarily prove anything, considering the owners of those vehicles could've been posting their negative experience on the vehicle. These types of results are too small to really get a good idea on how a vehicle performs, and how do we know they aren't making it up? You can register on their & say anything you want.

[post="67239"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Don't you find it a bit strange that Camrys prior to 2001 were nearly all rated with happy, satisfied faces, but after that the discontent began to rise? Just look back at the early 90s...nearly a perfect track record.

Yes, yes, yes...this is all unscientific owner reports, and there may be the poster here and there that overexaggerates his or her problems with their vehicle, but come on, it's not like there is a secret crusade at that website to undermine the Camry's percieved quality. You don't think that Toyota may be experiencing growing pains with its massive worldwide expansion?

All this talk of "#1 in '06" is making the heads at Toyota to lose track of what originally made the company so great, IMO...attention to detail and quality. Slow and steady wins the race. Have you already forgotten the doubling of Toyota recalls in 2005 vs. 2004?

• 3 weeks later...
The Camry finished dead last in 2004 Consumer Reports testing which had the Malibu LT as first place, Motor Trend 2004 which placed the Malibu LT ahead of the Camry and it was again dead last, Car & Driver which placed it dead last when compared to the new Sonota and revamped Accord and once again in the December issue of Motor Trend which put the Fusion as second place, Sonota as third and Camry... you guessed it dead last! I have sat in many Fusions/Milans and was very impressed with the interior quality. It is light years better than the old Taurus/Sable and right on par with any Camry or Sonota.

I'll admit that I don't sit in Asian cars all that often.....almost never beyond my friend's Mazda3 and Mazda5, so I made it a point to sit in a bunch of Asian cars at the auto show......and to take special notice of the interior materials. My findings were that the Asian cars that I looked at had just as craptastic interiors as the domestics! I fully expected the brand new Camry to have a wonderful interior......and one tap on the hard dash blew that perception. It sounded as hollow as some of the older domestics. I guess the Camry will have to continue to sell on it's undeserved reputation for "quality". So I looked at some other Toyota stuff like the 4 Runner.....which was a sea of dark gray hard plastic. Not too good for an expensive SUV. One thing I didn't like about most of the newer domestic and Asian interiors, was the extreme graining of the dash plastics. They look like basketballs or footballs. Stop trying to convince us that our plastics dashes are made out of some kind of fine leather. It made me appreciate my Chrysler 300 Touring even that much more. It has very subtle graining on the dash and door panels, and the plastic pillars have a graining that looks like a tight woven cloth....which looks nice, and not as fake as plastic grained like leather. BTW, I thought the Fusion looked great, had an interior as cheap as the Camry and Accord, but the doors didn't sound very solid when you shut them. That should have been engineered a little better.

I rode in an '03 Corolla recently and didn't see the mystique that some see about Toyota interiors. The dash plastics on my 12 year old Lumina have much more soft touch areas; they're two different segments of cars, but this wasn't the base level Corolla either. There was gray plastic everywhere, the seats were stiff, and while fit and finish was good, I was unimpressed in general.

Another thing that struck me as odd was the way the radio was off center from the rest of the center stack. You can see it in this picture. This is a Corolla LE interior by the way...I think I was in a Corolla S.
Posted Image
It's like they discovered at the last minute that they couldn't fit the vent on the left side, so they had to scoot the radio over a little to make room.

I'll admit that I don't sit in Asian cars all that often.....almost never beyond my friend's Mazda3 and Mazda5, so I made it a point to sit in a bunch of Asian cars at the auto show......and to take special notice of the interior materials.

My findings were that the Asian cars that I looked at had just as craptastic interiors as the domestics!  I fully expected the brand new Camry to have a wonderful interior......and one tap on the hard dash blew that perception.  It sounded as hollow as some of the older domestics.  I guess the Camry will have to continue to sell on it's undeserved reputation for "quality".  So I looked at some other Toyota stuff like the 4 Runner.....which was a sea of dark gray hard plastic.  Not too good for an expensive SUV.

One thing I didn't like about most of the newer domestic and Asian interiors, was the extreme graining of the dash plastics.  They look like basketballs or footballs.  Stop trying to convince us that our plastics dashes are made out of some kind of fine leather.  It made me appreciate my Chrysler 300 Touring even that much more.  It has very subtle graining on the dash and door panels, and the plastic pillars have a graining that looks like a tight woven cloth....which looks nice, and not as fake as plastic grained like leather.

BTW, I thought the Fusion looked great, had an interior as cheap as the Camry and Accord, but the doors didn't sound very solid when you shut them.  That should have been engineered a little better.

[post="79960"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The 4Runner's interior blows the 300's out of the water. If you want to compare apples-to-apples, the Durango's interior does not compare, either.

And yes, I've been in all three.

The 4Runner's interior blows the 300's out of the water.  If you want to compare apples-to-apples, the Durango's interior does not compare, either.

And yes, I've been in all three.

[post="80012"][/post]

I wasn't comparing the 4Runner to the 300, but yeah that 4Runner has a hot interior :rolleyes: :

Posted Image

I did however say that it was a sea of gray, and cheap feeling hard plastic......which is true.

I wasn't comparing the 4Runner to the 300, but yeah that 4Runner has a hot interior :rolleyes:  :

Posted Image
I did however say that it was a sea of gray, and cheap feeling hard plastic......which is true.

[post="80092"][/post]

The 4Runner's upper-dash materials are fine, and while the lower portions are cheap, overall, it's a nicer place to be in than the Trailblazer or Grand Cherokee. And I agree that grey interior sucks... I suspect it'll be nicer in beige. The 4Runner needs more interior bits from its upmarket cousin, the GX470.

The new Camry is very nice and I'm sure it's going to sell a lot. It's better than the outgoing model in many ways. It's even got decent power now.. The interior looks classy and comfortable..

That being said, I'm VERY proud of Ford with it's Fusion, Zephyr and Milan. I've sat the Zephyr and I'm still waiting to sit in the Fusion - but they're all very nice.. Ford took the kind of leap that GM needs to take. While GM is getting better and better every year, so it Toyota and Honda. Ford is closing-in; GM is not...

Posted Image
Posted Image

The 4Runner's upper-dash materials are fine, and while the lower portions are cheap, overall, it's a nicer place to be in than the Trailblazer or Grand Cherokee. And I agree that grey interior sucks... I suspect it'll be nicer in beige. The 4Runner needs more interior bits from its upmarket cousin, the GX470.

[post="80096"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The 4 Runner interior is not bad..

The SUV interior I'm really dissapointed in is the 3rd generation Grand Cherokee...the dash looks much cheaper than my '00 GC... my '00 has a nice, squishy soft dash covering (which I wish they had used it on the upper door panels and center console also, though--hard plastic there) and a very logical, clean layout of the controls..the '05-06 is a step backwards, IMHO (I think Chrysler has been cheapening their interiors overall in the last few years). I don't really like the exterior either--the side windows are smaller and it is squarer...I really don't think I'll replace my '00 with a new one.

Personally, Toyota interiors don't really excite me..they are ok for the functional transportation modules that they are. Now I do like some of the Lexus interiors, though, esp. in tan (I really don't like gray interiors in anything).

Posted Image

Want some plood with that?

Posted Image

Edit:  Thanks for putting words in my mouth, too.  Love it.

[post="80240"][/post]

How is that any worse than the shitty 4Runner's gray on gray hard palstic interior.

Just because Chrysler vehicle interiors are using sharp lines and angles doesn't mean it's worse than some swoopy Pokemon/Anime interior. Swoopy and blobby interiors came from the Europeans and Asians. Chrysler is not trying to be Euro or Asian.....so they are going with a more traditional American interior to match the bold exteriors. They are leaving Euro for MB.

All I really said is that everyone is using hard cheap plastics......and that Toyota is really no better. Yes, the fake wood is funny.....but apparently some people like it. I, for one, hate all wood on modern vehicle interiors. Wood should not have been in vehicles past the 80's.

I noticed that the Fusion has some big gaps. Infact while at the auto show try using your fingers this year and you'll find that the latest products from GM have smaller gaps than just about anything else out there (in the same class). BTW: I have yet to find a honda or toyota with even gaps at the auto show.q

I'll post a non-amateur picture of the 4Runner's interior, then.

Posted Image

We can agree to disagree.  Aside from the new Explorer, the 4Runner's interior is the best in the midsize SUV field.

[post="80429"][/post]

Just getting farther away with poor lighting doesn't make it's plastic any less hard and cheap. That picture just includes a view of the seats, which admittedly look pretty nice, and distract your view from the crappy dash materials (which are shown in the "real world" picture that I posted) . I don't think the one I sat in at the Auto show even had leather seats. It was all just abysmal gray in there. Then I touched and knocked on the dash, and it just felt as cheap as the Durango or Cherokee. I was fully expecting the new Camry and an expensive 4Runner to have a "world class" interior....because of all the propaganda that I read in the auto rags. Flat out, Toyota interiors are no better than domestics as far as meterials. Interior design however, is subjectve, and people will always disagree on that point.