Omelets

mustang84

I made my first omelet today for breakfast, and the results were kind of mediocre for my first try. I sprayed the pan and then mixed the eggs with a little milk and butter, and then poured it into the pan with the heat on medium. After about 2-3 minutes when it started bubbling up and forming together, I added some cheese and bacon bits to the top and then folded it over and then let it cook for a couple more minutes. But when it was done, it came out really thick (almost like a scrambled egg patty) and porous, unlike any other omelet I've had before. It tasted ok, but it broke apart easily when I pulled it out of the pan and it just looked kinda odd. How do you guys cook your omelets, and what do you think I'm doing wrong?

Yes, no milk--that's for scrambled eggs, not an omelette. There are a variety of ways to make them, but I recommend adding the filling/topping fairly soon after placing on the skillet (after the bottom has started to congeal) so that everything is somewhat distributed evenly.

Here's a good video:

Edited by Croc

Omlets gave me trouble for a while. After trial & error, I'm now pretty happy with how they turn out.

Prior to that, they overcooked on the bottom, or just shy of that, I folded it when it was too undercooked on top.

Now I heat the pan on med-high, pour in the egg, and cover it. The lid reflects heat back & helps cook the top so when it's ready to fold, it doesn't run out the sides.

BTW- I put milk in both scrambled & omlets- no problems there. I do like the thin omlets most restaurants/diners serve, but the 'fluffed' milk omlets are like 'beefsteak omlets', IMO. I also tend to add any toppings/cheese right before folding, and right after folding, reduce the heat to low/med.

Been wranglin' the Sunday breakfast for 4 for maybe 5 years running now; get good reviews here.

I made omelets at the family delicatessen. Preheat the skillet. Brush on some margarine. Beat three eggs and a dash of milk. Pour into the skillet, and cover for a couple of minutes. Then add the fillings. Cover a couple more minutes. Fold and remove from the pan. There's no need to flip.

I admire ALL of you for making, or even trying to make, an omelette. I can't cook. The only time I get NEAR an omelette is at a buffet where you can order one from the omelette chef.

But, since we're talking about omelettes, my favorite ingredients for them are a white cheese (provolone and/or Swiss), mushrooms and spinach.

The cafeteria at work has an omlette bar and every once in a while they have this amazingly good special:

The fry about 8 slices of pepperoni in a pan, pour the egg over.

Flip once

lay two slices of provolone cheese on the omlette and fold over.

SOOOOO GOOOD!

A Great Aunt who owned a restaurant with her husband for years told us to use ice cold water mixed with your egg to make a tasty omelette.

I put my fillings in the egg right away so they cook into the omelette and I cover it so the top cooks quicker. When the top looks cooked, I just fold it and slide it onto the plate.

I like salsa and cheddar, baby spinach/mushrooms/parmesan or just cheddar and cayenne pepper in mine. There are so many delicious possibilities with omelettes, though.

Some camping friends of ours introduced us to the "ziplock omelette:" put all your ingredients in a gallon ziplock baggie, seal it, and set it in boiling water until it's cooked.

It's really only good when you have a lot of people to feed, because you can boil several at once.

I've heard that it's not recommended to do that since the boiling water causes the plastic to melt and will end up making a toxic omelet.

its not so much about how the omelette turned out as much as its about who you are making the omelette for and how the prceeding last few hours treated ya........

hotel brunches typically have the best omelettes i have found. always the dude with the chefs hat. he might just be a weekend student but the dude sure knows his craft.

if its on a lake, and there's lot of white folk with logos on their clothes there, the omelettes shall be good.

MWAHAHAHA

Yes, and in the PNW, it's usually adjacency to a waterfall or, at the minimum, a babbling brook.

i thought granola biches didn't eat dairy. (eggs). or do they throw some bob reds mill millet in the omelette too?

No, it's actually the uptight WASPY pay-lip-service-to-liberalism UofO/OSU/UW/WSU fraternity/sorority crowd 20+ years later that you'll see at the nice brunches within viewing distance of a golf course...next to the waterfall or babbling brook. Since I'm only up there 4 to 6 times a year and it's for Easter or Thanksgiving, I notice this demographic.

In Portland, for example, the granola crowd will do brunch in-town on a street such as Hawthorne (the Hawthorne District in S.E.), where you will see Subarus, antique shops, used book stores, vegan restaurants, trendy eateries and more Subarus. That's where they go. The other places are too manicured for their hemp-ish tastes.

I already have enough trouble with the Biff/Buffy crowd, so I couldn't imagine having the granolas thrown into the mix. That would be toxic. :lol:

Edit: here's a link, making it sound so cool, when it isn't, and NOT telling you the REAL demographics

http://www.portlandguide.com/neighborhoods...ne-district.php

Edited by trinacriabob